Projectors at trade shows

NicolasD

Hi,

my colleague, who takes care of the marketing at work, thinks that a short throw laser projector such at this:

https://www.vava.com/products/4k-ultra-short-throw-laser-projector-1

would be a great idea to use instead of making a TV wall, he would project on to some foam core sheet that has a matte finish...

my biggest doubt is that those places are pretty well lit and that it won't give a good enough image to be useful, what do you guys think? any experience or recommendation on something that would give us a desired effect.

Let's be clear, that's a UST, not a short throw.  Short throw's use a throw ratio that falls between a UST and a (conventional) long throw projector.

Using a UST in place of a TV is precisely where a UST excells, imho.  I have a Cinemax P1 set up precisely that way in my living room.  The UST benefits somewhat from the short distance between "display" and the projector, which cuts down attenuation from ambient light.

You really want a proper screen though.  Even "screen paint" on the wall itself will offer a subpar viewing experience, since drywall seams can be quite visible in this manner (you'll see ripples).  You also want a uniformly smooth surface.  Ambient Light Rejecting (ALR) screens for a UST are preferable, but if those are too rich for your budget, a conventional screen for a long-throw projector can usually be had for relatively inexpensive...provided you stick to the 2 standard sizes that most companies offer pre-built options in (100" and 120").  Do NOT get an ALR screen for a long-throw projector for use with a UST; it will mute the entire image because it is being used incorrectly.

p.s.

Vava is cheap, but the features/options are garbage.  If "cheap" is the goal, the HiSense L5F was on sale during Black Friday for $3000; which is an insane value for UST projector and screen combo.  Alternately, there's the Optoma Cinemax P2; the BenQ V7050i; Viewsonix X1000 4k; and several others.  Higher end offerings like the LG HU85LA feature additional lasers and .66 instead of .43 chips (or whatever they are).  Pixel-Shifting is the current standard in the market.  If you want TRUE NATIVE 4K CHIPS, you are going to be into the 5-figure range on price, most likely.

Lots of info can be found here.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/

2 hours ago, IPD said:

You really want a proper screen though.  Even "screen paint" on the wall itself will offer a subpar viewing experience, since drywall seams can be quite visible in this manner (you'll see ripples).  You also want a uniformly smooth surface.  Ambient Light Rejecting (ALR) screens for a UST are preferable, but if those are too rich for your budget, a conventional screen for a long-throw projector can usually be had for relatively inexpensive...provided you stick to the 2 standard sizes that most companies offer pre-built options in (100" and 120").  Do NOT get an ALR screen for a long-throw projector for use with a UST; it will mute the entire image because it is being used incorrectly.

the thing is that it is not going in any room, it's going to project on a part of a kiosk at a trade show... we can't hang a projector screen, it would need to be tied to a part of our kiosk... and probably be destroyed by the goons(you wouldn't believe what they break every year) who build it, so we would need to replace it after every show.

i think i'll vote against it, as I highly doubt that it would save any hassle or money in the long term... making another TV wall will be cheaper, more reliable and will have a better impact for the well-lit area that will be the trade show...

Horrible idea then.  You do NOT want a UST for a tradeshow.  The extreme projection angle means that it takes careful alignment to properly keystone and center the image on whatever screen you are using.  They're much less forgiving than a long throw projector.

If a pico projector and a foldable screen won't be bright enough--then yeah, you'll need to stick to a conventional panel display.

On 12/1/2021 at 2:10 PM, NicolasD said:

Hi,

my colleague, who takes care of the marketing at work, thinks that a short throw laser projector such at this:

https://www.vava.com/products/4k-ultra-short-throw-laser-projector-1

would be a great idea to use instead of making a TV wall, he would project on to some foam core sheet that has a matte finish...

my biggest doubt is that those places are pretty well lit and that it won't give a good enough image to be useful, what do you guys think? any experience or recommendation on something that would give us a desired effect.

The answer is no dont be so stupid.

I work in the events industry and have done installs at trade shows for major brands. We have never ever ever used a projector in a small kiosk because its not doable. You need to have anywhere between 10k and 15k lumens to compete with indoor lighting. A 10k lumens projector cost anywhere up to $10k if not more and that doesn't include a lens. Even short throw lens still need about 2 meter distance. Oh and the projectors are huge about the size of a living room table. 

A small 2.5k lumens projector is like pissing into the ocean. It will be invisible. Never mind the fact its 3 thousand dollars.

TV screens and LED video walls are what are used at trade shows.
If your worried the TV gets damage in transit buy a flight case for it but the price is just as much as the TV.
You could buy
 4x 65inch screens
a Flight case for the screens
and mounting equipment

2x2 scaler

and cables
for about $5K and youd end up with a 130inch display made up of 4 TVs with decent resolution for detailed text and they would be bright with decent contrast ratios so the image is vissable

Have you thought of getting a external event company to do it. There are thousands of companies who will build custom set with your branding on, bring in AV equipment such as speakers lights and video. Set it up to the point that you just walk up stick your laptop on and place out your paper work.