GPU on 100% usage after SSD upgrade?

Hi everyone, 

I recently upgraded my game storage device from HDD to M.2 SSD. I tried cloning over at first, which did not work at all. So I ended up doing a completely fresh install of windows, drivers, programs, etc. The problem I am having now is that whenever I attempt to play games downloaded on the M.2 or HDD my GPU instantly goes to 100% usage and will continually heat up (to even 90C+) without turning fans on past 50% usage. I also hear some coil whine coming from the GPU when this happens as well. The GPU I have is a HP reference style GTX 1070. I personally don't have an issue with the GPU being at 100%, I would just like to maybe learn how I can set the fans to match the utilization? I have already tried everything I can think of, including re-downloading all drivers, reformatting the SSD and HDD and nothing seems to work. I am also a little skeptical because even when I reduce settings to the minimum or play with VSYNC ON the card still runs at 100% usage. Also, I know my PC never struggled with games like Apex Legends or Age of Empires before the SSD upgrade. At this point I am wondering if this is windows issue, storage issue, or GPU dying. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

53 minutes ago, EthansBroadcast said:

Also, I know my PC never struggled with games like Apex Legends or Age of Empires before the SSD upgrade. At this point I am wondering if this is windows issue, storage issue, or GPU dying. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Since you stated you changed the drive and did a clean install, its more likely to be a GPU issue, but that doesnt mean it is. Have you tried a DDU? And are you using the correct drivers? Ive seen people select the wrong drivers and while they install, they dont work correctly. 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

2 hours ago, SlashedM said:

Since you stated you changed the drive and did a clean install, its more likely to be a GPU issue, but that doesnt mean it is. Have you tried a DDU? And are you using the correct drivers? Ive seen people select the wrong drivers and while they install, they dont work correctly. 

I haven't tried a DDU but I have the newest NVidia drivers and I installed them with a clean install option. I did figure out that using MSI Afterburner would let me control the fan speed which helps regulate temps, so that's good I guess

If you have the fan control, sounds like everything is as it should be. Unless you are trying to limit the gpu usage for some reason?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz