Acer Nitro 5 Internet Issue. 1 Million Gold Stars for the big brains!!!

Epic Revenant
Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,

Try a live USB install of Linux Mint (it's very windows-like)

If it works fine, then you have a software issue.

If it has the same issues, then it's a hardware issue. Most modern laptops can at least replace the wifi card, so if it is bad, it can be swapped out.

Okay, where to start. I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54 Series Model N18C3. I was told it has a bad motherboard, but it does everything great except get on the internet. The Wi-Fi and RJ45 have the same issue. It will "find" internet, but any browser I use will not produce results. It gives me every error in the book (example: Status_Breakpoint, Err_SSL_Protocol_Error, SSL_Error_Bad_MAC_Read, Out of Memory, Err_SSL_Bad_Record_MAC_Alert). This is all on a fresh windows install (3 times) it will find some internet sometimes so I can load google every 7th try or so, but it is harder to get anything else to load. I have a hard time believing it is a hardware issue since it works fine other than the internet. I have tried everything I can find online from flushing things through CMD to checking registry items, uninstalling drivers to use windows and updating all drivers and BIOS to the newest on their respective sites. I have run out of ideas with this thing but it is such a good laptop that I don't want to throw it away for a new one.

I have also tried USB to Ethernet adapter things, same issues as well. I feel like there is some stupid setting somewhere I have to be missing.

Another wrench in my diagnosis. The laptop can get information from my local network. I can connect to my other computers and stream movies to the laptop. Yet another reason I fail to believe it is hardware based.

Try a live USB install of Linux Mint (it's very windows-like)

If it works fine, then you have a software issue.

If it has the same issues, then it's a hardware issue. Most modern laptops can at least replace the wifi card, so if it is bad, it can be swapped out.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Okay, So I did the Linux Mint, It works far better than windows so far, however every 3rd or so time I still get SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_READ. Does that mean it is something hardware related?

13 hours ago, Epic Revenant said:

Okay, So I did the Linux Mint, It works far better than windows so far, however every 3rd or so time I still get SSL_ERROR_BAD_MAC_READ. Does that mean it is something hardware related?

I suspect so, Linux is very intolerant of bad hardware.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.