• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New PSU trips on PC startup

WickedMoniker

Go to solution Solved by WickedMoniker,
59 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

No, they are not.

Yeah, swapped out all the cables and looks like everythings running as it should. Thanks for the help!

So I recently upgraded my 800w psu with a 1000w psu in my new build but now when I press the power button on the case there's an audible click from the psu as it trips and the pc never starts. Fans try to spin up but rgb on all components do not turn on. Nothing appears bricked since this same action happens each time I reset the psu. Any thoughts as to what the issue is?

My bad, the spec list is as follows:

Asus Prime X570-Pro, Amd Ryzen 9 5950x, Asrock RX 6800 XT and both power supplies were Silverstone SFX-L series.

Edited by WickedMoniker

Some specs could help.

What do you need a 1000W PSU for? a 3090?

Using a shitcoin irl

Hello welcome to the forums. 

A spec list of parts and the exact make and models of your PSU will help us a ton. If you could please reply with that or add it to the OP.

Did you use the cables that came with the new PSU or did you reuse the cables from the old PSU? 

If you installed the new PSU using the cables from the old PSU they are most likely not compatible and you will have to replace the cables with the ones that came with the new PSU. Modular PSU cables are not interchangeable and you may have possibly fried something.

If you used the cables that came with the PSU then you should be fine, most likely it's a lose or missing cable. Please double check all of your connections, I.e. 24 pin power, 8pin/8+4pin CPU power, GPU power, and peripherals and get back to us with what you find.

Main Desktop: CPU - i7-12700k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3090 Gaming OC RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G - Deep Black 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

37 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Some specs could help.

What do you need a 1000W PSU for? a 3090?

I've been havin trouble with the pc shutting off with high power loads (specifically games like BF 2042 and even CoD Cold War). Also op has been updated with spec list.

35 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Hello welcome to the forums. 

A spec list of parts and the exact make and models of your PSU will help us a ton. If you could please reply with that or add it to the OP.

Did you use the cables that came with the new PSU or did you reuse the cables from the old PSU? 

If you installed the new PSU using the cables from the old PSU they are most likely not compatible and you will have to replace the cables with the ones that came with the new PSU. Modular PSU cables are not interchangeable and you may have possibly fried something.

If you used the cables that came with the PSU then you should be fine, most likely it's a lose or missing cable. Please double check all of your connections, I.e. 24 pin power, 8pin/8+4pin CPU power, GPU power, and peripherals and get back to us with what you find.

Will the 24 pin from the the 800w psu not work with the 1000w psu? They looked identical.

5 minutes ago, WickedMoniker said:

Will the 24 pin from the the 800w psu not work with the 1000w psu? They looked identical.

Looked. They're not.

Replace all of the cables when swapping power supplies. See, this is why manufacturer either have to go back to regular "non modular" power supplies or decide on a single standard for all of the PSUs no matter the brand, they're underestimating USERS, a warning on a manual isn't enough because who reads manuals?? 

Using a shitcoin irl

10 minutes ago, WickedMoniker said:

No, they are not.

Main Desktop: CPU - i7-12700k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3090 Gaming OC RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G - Deep Black 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

Looks like that was the fix! Started up with no issues thus far. Thanks for the assistance!

59 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

No, they are not.

Yeah, swapped out all the cables and looks like everythings running as it should. Thanks for the help!