Looking for USB hub/charger with USB 3.0+ speeds, and 65W+ charging capability from a reputable brand

terroralpha

hello,

as the title says, i'm looking for an externally powered USB hub that can charge peripherals at 65W or better but can also move data to and from a desktop with at least USB 3.0 speeds. 3.1 would be better, but i'll take whatever. preferably with a mix of USB a and USB C ports, but not 100% necessary. 

EDIT: i should have been clear, sorry. the 65W+ power is for the peripherals, with the ability to charge one device with 65ish watts or so. not 65 total. the host device is a desktop and will not be charging off of this.  

i'v been searching from something like this from a reputable brand for days now. i see is lots of junk on amazon with fake reviews but nothing i would trust my phone and other devices with. examples of reputable brands would be belkin, anker, dell. 

thanks. 

what sort of device are you searching this for?

65W 'class' charging is usually exclusively for docking stations, implying that whatever device you connect to it is the 'master' device of the USB connections.

EDIT: 65W to one device, or in total charge capacity for a bunch of devices?

8 minutes ago, whispous said:

I swear by a whole host of Anker products. This looks like it nearly fits your requirement.

https://us.anker.com/collections/hubs-docks/products/a7515

i saw this, it's close but i need a lot more power. i need to have at least one port that can crank out 60W+. my understanding is that this device maxes out at 25W per port. thanks

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

what sort of device are you searching this for?

65W 'class' charging is usually exclusively for docking stations, implying that whatever device you connect to it is the 'master' device of the USB connections.

EDIT: 65W to one device, or in total charge capacity for a bunch of devices?

i realized i was unclear when i posted this. i meant to say that it should have a port that can send 60W+ to at least one peripheral device, the others ports will be fine with 10W. i edited the OP. 

also, the peripheral device in question is proprietary android tablet. 

i'm at a point right now where i'm considering dumping my AMD based desktop for a intel desktop with 100W Thunderbolt ports. i feel like this is something that *should* exist but no one wants to make it. 

3 minutes ago, terroralpha said:

i saw this, it's close but i need a lot more power. i need to have at least one port that can crank out 60W+. my understanding is that this device maxes out at 25W per port. thanks

i realized i was unclear when i posted this. i meant to say that it should have a port that can send 60W+ to at least one peripheral device, the others ports will be fine with 10W. i edited the OP. 

also, the peripheral device in question is proprietary android tablet. 

that's one heck of an android tablet if it has a 65w charger.. does it even have USB OTG support?

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that's one heck of an android tablet if it has a 65w charger.. does it even have USB OTG support?

the charger is indeed 65W. that's what the vendor sent with it. seems to support OTG. you can connect an external HDD to it. the device sees it but there is no practical use for that as of right now. there is literally zero documentation for this thing. 

3 minutes ago, terroralpha said:

the charger is indeed 65W. that's what the vendor sent with it. seems to support OTG. you can connect an external HDD to it. the device sees it but there is no practical use for that as of right now. there is literally zero documentation for this thing. 

but (ignoring the charging) can you connect it to your computer to copy files over?

Just now, manikyath said:

but (ignoring the charging) can you connect it to your computer to copy files over?

yep. it communicates with the desktop software over USB. 

1 minute ago, terroralpha said:

yep. it communicates with the desktop software over USB. 

if you just plug it into a desktop with a usb C to C cable, what does it do? just a data connection and no charge, neither, or that annoying "charging slowly" message?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

if you just plug it into a desktop with a usb C to C cable, what does it do? just a data connection and no charge, neither, or that annoying "charging slowly" message?

it charges at 10W. i have a USB cable shows me the power output to the device it connects to. no messages, but i can't leave it plugged in for too long as it needs to be on the go. 

30 minutes ago, terroralpha said:

it charges at 10W. i have a USB cable shows me the power output to the device it connects to. no messages, but i can't leave it plugged in for too long as it needs to be on the go. 

i'm not sure how power standards on type C are implemented, it could be that a 'peripheral' device (which in this case your tablet would be, as opposed to being the 'master' on a docking station) cant request a higher voltage than the default 5 volts.

as for the intel desktop with 100W ports you mentioned -- are those actually a thing, or is that just confusing thunderbolt spec being confusing? a quick google search didnt really hit many results there. all high power thunderbolt i can find is docks.

on that note... i'm just recalling some recent testing around troubles with surface docks being infinitely incompatible with everything.. HP usb-C docks are stupidly overengineered for edge cases, i'll have to search for some propper documentation, but it *may* actually support being a middle man in this...

EDIT: update: HP documentation is unclear if the second USB-C port on their docks has beefy power delivery or not, and 250 bucks is quite a big spend for an experiment...