Why doesn't Microsoft sell separate dongles for its wireless products?

hugosdz
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

-> Moved to Peripherals

Because everybody else does the same... only exception I know is Logitech with their Unifying stuff, but unsurprisingly buying the receiver alone costs the same as buying their cheapest keyboard that comes with one. 

It's 2021, we're close to 2022, but Microsoft insists on selling wireless products with receivers that cannot be replaced.

I currently have a Sculpt comfort mouse and keyboard combo, the dongle was broken and searching online, I found that microsoft doesn't sell replacement parts.
This doesn't make sense, here where I live (Brazil), a mouse and keyboard combo is extremely expensive, not having replacement parts is something ridiculous that you shouldn't have.

why don't people talk about it?
how many tons of e-waste are generated each year because of these nonsensical policies that companies have to make products without spare parts?

as much as i like microsoft products, from now on i will no longer buy electronics that are not easy to fix.

I dislike it too, Sadly, Microsoft is not the only one that have done that. My Logitech G700S is the same, tho older mouse, dongle is impossible to get separate. Tho in my case, even tho it broke for me might have been partly my fault(tho not fully), it was in warranty, Logitech just sent me a hole new mouse.

As of why people don't talk about it, your spesific product may not be the most popular (?), and there seem to be other things people complain about like right to repair, and reparability of phones and laptops, that people would consider more important.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

In answer to the thread title question, because it makes them more money to sell you a new keyboard and mouse than a new dongle. Don't forget a substantial proportion of the market for replacement dongles will be people who've lost theirs and feel it's their fault - as such, they will probably be willing to buy a new mouse/keyboard if that's what it takes, but if the dongle on its own is offered to them they'll take that.

(Being cynical, I've wondered for a while if that is why they keep making wireless dongles smaller and smaller for no good reason - the smaller they get, the more likely you are to lose them, so the easier it will be to sell you a new one a few years down the line)

I do agree, though, that from any rational perspective other than that of Microsoft it's a stupid state of affairs.

Just out of interest - if you don't already have a spare dongle, how do you know the dongle is actually at fault and not the keyboard itself?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

2 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

In answer to the thread title question, because it makes them more money to sell you a new keyboard and mouse than a new dongle. Don't forget a substantial proportion of the market for replacement dongles will be people who've lost theirs and feel it's they're fault - as such, they will probably be willing to buy a new mouse/keyboard if that's what it takes, but if the dongle on its own is offered to them they'll take that.

(Being cynical, I've wondered for a while if that is why they keep making wireless dongles smaller and smaller for no good reason - the smaller they get, the more likely you are to lose them, so the easier it will be to sell you a new one a few years down the line)

I do agree, though, that from any rational perspective other than that of Microsoft it's a stupid state of affairs.

Just out of interest - if you don't already have a spare dongle, how do you know the dongle is actually at fault and not the keyboard itself?

Also, making a keyboard or mice without pairing function, so that a dongle and mice/keyboard is linked together, might save little bit if production/design cost, even if it probably isn't much.

And if they are linked together from factory and don't have a pairing function, what's the point of selling dongle separate?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

-> Moved to Peripherals

Because everybody else does the same... only exception I know is Logitech with their Unifying stuff, but unsurprisingly buying the receiver alone costs the same as buying their cheapest keyboard that comes with one. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2