12600K Power Consumption?

sdw123

Some review says 5800X and 12600K idle around 50W and 5800X reach ~160 peak / 12600K ~ 250+W at load.

But according to tweaktown chart 5800X is much power hungry than the 12600K. (idle 240, stress 495.)

which one is the correct?

5 minutes ago, sdw123 said:

Some review says 5800X and 12600K idle around 50W and 5800X reach ~160 peak / 12600K ~ 250+W at load.

But according to tweaktown chart 5800X is much power hungry than the 12600K. (idle 240, stress 495.)

Uh, 5800x absolutely does not idle at 240 and peak at 495. 

Mine idles at ~35w and in PBO I see ~155W or so in certain benchmarks.

8 minutes ago, sdw123 said:

My system would not run if it used that much power. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

I think you might be confusing CPU power draw with system power draw. Both of those CPUs are more power efficient than that. For example, at stock, the 5800X is capped to 142W of power usage and it typically idles around 20W.

12 minutes ago, sdw123 said:

System Load...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (Zen 3) CPU Review 47 | TweakTown.com

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Just now, YoungBlade said:

I think you might be confusing CPU power draw with system power draw. Both of those CPUs are more power efficient than that. For example, at stock, the 5800X is capped to 142W of power usage and it typically idles around 20W.

On a re-read, yeah the TT graphs are for system power consumption.

9 minutes ago, sdw123 said:

thats bullshit.

Lets put it in perspective, the waste of sand 11700k and bassically as bad 11900k would pull about 300w under load and were some of the highest power draw cpus for consumers ever.

Either the tweaktown numbers are a mistake or purpossly wrong.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

As I suspected, those are system power consumption numbers - i.e. how much power the whole computer draws from the wall.

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

thats bullshit.

Lets put it in perspective, the waste of sand 11700k and bassically as bad 11900k would pull about 300w under load and were some of the highest power draw cpus for consumers ever.

No, they are total system power draw.

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

No, they are total system power draw.

Then its just a bad way to review something.

It might be something good is combination with a cpu by itself power draw graph, but it puts too much on the power draw of other componets that may differ from intel to amd (like motherboard), and it pust more points of uncertanty, where inconsistencies in gpu, motherboard, drive, ram, and everything else. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Oh yh. Stupid me. Still then the charts are useless / misleading.

Intel chips idle much lower than AMD. If you're looking at overall system power consumption and take into account idle/desktop time (in addition to Intel's current performance lead in relation to peak power/task completion time), power consumption is really overblown as a metric.

As long as your cooling solution and electrical wiring is good enough, power consumption is a metric for benchmarks and complaining.

As for full system power testing...it's fine. That's one of the few ways to accurately measure power consumption, and despite what you may think about other components influencing results, it absolutely is valid since it's not possible to pair an AMD board with an Intel board or vice versa. They are real world measurements of real world applications.

EDIT: Seems I might have been mistaken? Other reviews have shown lower idle consumption on Intel, and from my experience my idle power is quite low as well. Suppose that needs further review.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It might be something good is combination with a cpu by itself power draw graph, but it puts too much on the power draw of other componets that may differ from intel to amd (like motherboard), and it pust more points of uncertanty, where inconsistencies in gpu, motherboard, drive, ram, and everything else. 

Getting the CPU power draw data is much more difficult - you can buy a basic power meter for $15 at a hardware store whereas it's hard to find the equipment to read directly from the EPS 12V cable. While not ideal for science, for a general audience, the full system power draw numbers are good enough. It tells you what power supply you need with the included graphics card (in this case, an RTX 3080) and that's the only thing most people actually care about for a review.

12 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Getting the CPU power draw data is much more difficult - you can buy a basic power meter for $15 at a hardware store whereas it's hard to find the equipment to read directly from the EPS 12V cable. While not ideal for science, for a general audience, the full system power draw numbers are good enough. It tells you what power supply you need with the included graphics card (in this case, an RTX 3080) and that's the only thing most people actually care about for a review.

People lost their goddamn minds about 10900k power consumption. I guarantee the vast majority of them are just gamers and/or at least not power users. The difference between a 200w full power or 300w full power chip is meaningless since most of them are never going to utilize their chips at full power outside of a benchmark. And for that once a week encoding task, it still won't counter the wasted idle power usage from the alternative AMD chip.

From personal experience on an OC 10900KF, CPU power draw is a non-issue. Especially with GPUs that are readily willing to gulp down 450+w.

But don't get me wrong, none of those figures really matter to anyone in real life. It's one of the weakest arguments I've seen in relation to CPU selection. 

Think back. When was the last time the difference in CPU power draw really affected any decision or outcome of a build project or a system task? And when you factor in idle power usage, the running costs are a wash. It's just academic.

Power consumption is either at the TOP of your list of things that's important (render farms, etc.) or it's at the bottom and meaningless. Since most people don't fit into the first category, I think it's overemphasized as a meaningful metric.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Techpowerup usually has pretty charts that are easy to read : https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-12600k-alder-lake-12th-gen/20.html

The values are for WHOLE SYSTEM ... but you can easily estimate how much a CPU would consume on its own by subtracting  idle power from the heavy load power consumption, and adding a small amount, around 10-20 watts.

For example, idle power of a Ryzen 5600x system is 50 watts and multi-threaded power consumption is 126 watts ... so you can estimate 126 - 50 + ~ 10-20w = ~ 75-85w

Anandtech also has a BENCH section where they list the power consumption on JUST THE CPU and also conditions and details if needed : https://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU-2020/2734

You see there they measured 75w for 5600x.

They recently reviewed 12900k but didn't add it to that list yet... you can see how much cpu cores consume and you can estimate out how much a 12600k consumes from that - 12600 has 6 performance cores : https://www.anandtech.com/show/17047/the-intel-12th-gen-core-i912900k-review-hybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/4

image.png.4c029df597e9d6e9665d569dac6649e2.png

Just now, Mister Woof said:

People lost their goddamn minds about 10900k power consumption. I guarantee the vast majority of them are just gamers and/or at least not power users. The difference between a 200w full power or 300w full power chip is meaningless since most of them are never going to utilize their chips at full power outside of a benchmark. And for that once a week encoding task, it still won't counter the wasted idle power usage from the alternative AMD chip.

But don't get me wrong, none of those figures really matter to anyone in real life. It's one of the weakest arguments I've seen in relation to CPU selection. 

Power consumption is either at the TOP of your list of things that's important (render farms, etc.) or it's at the bottom and meaningless. Since most people don't fit into the first category, I think it's overemphasized as a meaningful metric.

It has been overemphasized, but it does matter. I'd put it in forth place after price, performance, and feature set.

The reason power consumption matters to gamers is that it increases the cost/complexity/space of a cooling solution. A 200W CPU can be cooled by something like the Scythe Fuma 2 - a fairly compact $60 air cooler - but just barely. At 300W, that same cooler fails hard. I'm not sure even the NH-D15 can keep up with a constant 300W heatload, which means that now you have to go with water cooling. Your particular cooler, the H150i, is certainly a good one, but it costs 3x as much and requires a much larger case than the Fuma 2 does.

Certainly, that doesn't put power consumption at the top of the list, but because it becomes a factor into the price of the whole system, it ends up influencing the factor that is at the top of the list.

22 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

It has been overemphasized, but it does matter. I'd put it in forth place after price, performance, and feature set.

The reason power consumption matters to gamers is that it increases the cost/complexity/space of a cooling solution. A 200W CPU can be cooled by something like the Scythe Fuma 2 - a fairly compact $60 air cooler - but just barely. At 300W, that same cooler fails hard. I'm not sure even the NH-D15 can keep up with a constant 300W heatload, which means that now you have to go with water cooling. Your particular cooler, the H150i, is certainly a good one, but it costs 3x as much and requires a much larger case than the Fuma 2 does.

Certainly, that doesn't put power consumption at the top of the list, but because it becomes a factor into the price of the whole system, it ends up influencing the factor that is at the top of the list.

I see where you're going, but disagree to an extent.

First point - We have to define what is appropriate application. Does it really matter if your CPU runs into thermal throttling with a cheaper cooler in a full-power load if you're just gaming? How often will you see these values outside of a power virus? You get the right cooler for the job - and as you know with laptop solutions they constantly balance thermal limits, performance, and portability. It's part of the equation and performance generally suffers, but it's often considered worth it given the laptop's general usage scenarios. So if gaming is your only task, needing a super beefy cooler isn't necessarily the appropriate application. You can throw a Scythe Fuma 2 on a 12700k and it will be perfectly fine for a gamer. As for myself, it's luxury for sure to have a nicer cooler. But certainly not necessary. I think we all fall for the "it must be stable and not throttle at full load for 2 hours no matter what!" philosophy even if it's really impractical.

To put it in perspective - my car's automatic transmission could benefit from a more robust cooler....but since I'm not beating the shit out of it every day, it's perfectly fine as it is. Additionally, and back to the original poster's issues about power, idle power consumption shouldn't be ignored - it's a very common and lengthy state for most users. This metric is the reason why cylinder deactivation was invented and is applied to automobiles, to save energy while doing nothing. 

Second point - maybe you're right. If whatever you're doing is heavy CPU focused and a factor in profits, then regardless of immediately cooling costs and concurrent electricity, task completion time is probably the most important metric. So whichever does the job faster is probably the right move.

50 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

thats bullshit.

Why are you referencing chips that aren't even in the review, or being talked about here?

44 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It's not a bad way to review something in the least. In what world is someone using a CPU alone, outside of a completely system?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I see where you're going, but disagree to an extent.

First point - We have to define what is appropriate application. Does it really matter if your CPU runs into thermal throttling with a cheaper cooler in a full-power load if you're just gaming? How often will you see these values outside of a power virus? You get the right cooler for the job - and as you know with laptop solutions they constantly balance thermal limits, performance, and portability. It's part of the equation and performance generally suffers, but it's often considered worth it given the laptop's general usage scenarios. So if gaming is your only task, needing a super beefy cooler isn't necessarily the appropriate application. You can throw a Scythe Fuma 2 on a 12700k and it will be perfectly fine for a gamer. As for myself, it's luxury for sure to have a nicer cooler. But certainly not necessary. I think we all fall for the "it must be stable and not throttle at full load for 2 hours no matter what!" philosophy even if it's really impractical.

To put it in perspective - my car's automatic transmission could benefit from a more robust cooler....but since I'm not beating the shit out of it every day, it's perfectly fine as it is.

Second point - maybe you're right. If whatever you're doing is heavy CPU focused and a factor in profits, then regardless of immediately cooling costs and concurrent electricity, task completion time is probably the most important metric. So whichever does the job faster is probably the right move.

It is true that certain use cases use less power, but then power consumption is still a factor: it's just that now the $60 cooler is acceptable.

I can understand your concerns that power consumption is getting used as a bizarre weapon to say that certain components are bad. The reason the weapon can be effective is that there is some truth to that. The reason it's often a dumb argument is that context matters.

For me, I don't seem much point in getting a high core count CPU if you're just gaming. Yes, the higher core count parts are clocked higher out of the box, but all the current Alder Lake and Zen 3 chips are unlocked, so that doesn't matter much. The only issue on the Intel side is that the cache size of the 12600K is much more limited than the 12700K and 12900K. On the AMD side, the 5600X gets you almost all of the performance of the 5950X.

If I was just gaming, I'd still be using my 9600K, because for the games I play and the GPU I have, that's plenty. But I have use cases where my 5900X runs full blast. For example: loading up a big project in Unity can take a few minutes even with the 5900X using all 24 threads (it used to take 10+ minutes with my 9600K). If the 5900X required 300W in that scenario, and I bought a cooler based on gaming only using 100W, that could be a problem. With heavy throttling, it might not save any time over my previous CPU, making it a waste of money.

I guess what I'm trying to get it is that, if you aren't going to use your CPU to its full potential, I'd question why you'd buy that CPU and not a lower tier one.

Here's some data on idle power consumption for these chips:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i5_12600k_processor_review,5.html

We show energy consumption based on the entire PC (motherboard / processor / graphics card / memory / SSD). This number depends and will vary per motherboard (added ICs / controllers / wifi / Bluetooth) and PSU (efficiency). Keep in mind that we measure the ENTIRE PC, not just the processor's power consumption. Your average PC can differ from our numbers if you add optical drives, HDDs, soundcards etc. 

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=757

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=757

Seems in their testing, the AMD chips at idle were a little lower or pretty close to the Intel chips. Either way, we're looking at a difference at full load here of 146w for the 5600x and 223w for the 5600x....this is not game breaking and won't even affect your PSU choice. And for a gamer, it won't affect your cooler choice either.

5 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

It is true that certain use cases use less power, but then power consumption is still a factor: it's just that now the $60 cooler is acceptable.

I can understand your concerns that power consumption is getting used as a bizarre weapon to say that certain components are bad. The reason the weapon can be effective is that there is some truth to that. The reason it's often a dumb argument is that context matters.

For me, I don't seem much point in getting a high core count CPU if you're just gaming. Yes, the higher core count parts are clocked higher out of the box, but all the current Alder Lake and Zen 3 chips are unlocked, so that doesn't matter much. The only issue on the Intel side is that the cache size of the 12600K is much more limited than the 12700K and 12900K. On the AMD side, the 5600X gets you almost all of the performance of the 5950X.

If I was just gaming, I'd still be using my 9600K, because for the games I play and the GPU I have, that's plenty. But I have use cases where my 5900X runs full blast. For example: loading up a big project in Unity can take a few minutes even with the 5900X using all 24 threads (it used to take 10+ minutes with my 9600K). If the 5900X required 300W in that scenario, and I bought a cooler based on gaming only using 100W, that could be a problem. With heavy throttling, it might not save any time over my previous CPU, making it a waste of money.

I guess what I'm trying to get it is that, if you aren't going to use your CPU to its full potential, I'd question why you'd buy that CPU and not a lower tier one.

I think I've been over it a few times but mostly it was just luxury and/or boredom. Although there is some benefit to going with higher core counts for gaming (for Intel, anyway). The cache size makes the biggest difference on these older Intel chips, not really so much the core count.

The 10900K has 20mb, whereas the 10700k only has 16mb and the 10600k only has 12mb. That has been shown to increase gaming performance.

1 hour ago, Mister Woof said:

Here's some data on idle power consumption for these chips:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i5_12600k_processor_review,5.html

Definitely going to have to check again when I get home, i'm fairly certain my 5800x is well below that, at least according to HWInfo.

3 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Definitely going to have to check again when I get home, i'm fairly certain my 5800x is well below that, at least according to HWInfo.

Feels like it's all over the place. The data from tweaktown and other users here (along with me) indicate much lower idle system draw on Intel, but guru3d had different results.

I still stand by what I said earlier. The differences are pretty small overall and would not be a real significant factor in making a choice one way or another.

47 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Feels like it's all over the place. The data from tweaktown and other users here (along with me) indicate much lower idle system draw on Intel, but guru3d had different results.

I still stand by what I said earlier. The differences are pretty small overall and would not be a real significant factor in making a choice one way or another.

Must be. Gotta wonder how these tests are done sometimes. 

image.png.321a103a58bbcb60350251cfee6733bd.png