Make an AMD Laptop as Powerefficient as possible

dondonlo

So I got my Hands on a cheap Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro 16 with Ryzen 7 5800H and RTX 3050.

But I don't really need that much performance. My only use cases are office, browsing and League of Legends. I would appreciate a better battery life all day in tradeoff for lower performance.

I already installed the Ryzen Controller. But I couldn't find the lowest settings without risking any damage. Atm I have the Cpu on 15W incl. boost and 80°C. As far as I know, LoL is a more Cpu heavy game but cutting the TDP to a third didn't change anything fps wise (Still around 200). But I read that a too low TDP can also harm the CPU.

I didn't change anything with the GPU yet. But would like to as well. Still searching for a good software.

Another point would be disabling the Rtx in general. I read that Laptops nowadays are pretty smart in usage with the external GPU and only turns it on if needed. But even if I'm just browsing the web etc. it uses the RTX card. Which doesn't seem very power friendly.

So all in all, I want to know what I can do to get the max. battery life without loosing anything I need (LoL 60fps) and without taking any risk in damaging anything.

A low tdp wont hurt the cpu?

thats just not how it works

Think about it

Wattage is pulled, not foced, so all your doing by lowering the tdp is saying that the cpiu cant  pull more power than a certaion amount

Make sure yout change the windows power plan to maximum efficency

You should also be able to choose the igpu manually for programs in windows settings 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I've never heard of a lower power usage harming a CPU. Where did you hear that?

If you want to disable the graphics card, that should be an option. There might be a toggle in the BIOS. Otherwise, Nvidia Control Panel should have an option in the settings to never use the graphics card when on battery power. I believe that option used to exist, anyway, although it's been years since I've touched a laptop with dedicated graphics.

Is there any reason you bought a laptop with a high performance processor and a dedicated graphics card if you have no intention of using them? You could've bought one with a 5700U and no dedicated graphics if you just wanted power efficiency.

36 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I've never heard of a lower power usage harming a CPU. Where did you hear that?

If you want to disable the graphics card, that should be an option. There might be a toggle in the BIOS. Otherwise, Nvidia Control Panel should have an option in the settings to never use the graphics card when on battery power. I believe that option used to exist, anyway, although it's been years since I've touched a laptop with dedicated graphics.

Is there any reason you bought a laptop with a high performance processor and a dedicated graphics card if you have no intention of using them? You could've bought one with a 5700U and no dedicated graphics if you just wanted power efficiency.

I wanted a 16 inch, so a majority of the Laptops were either junk or had decent hardware with dedicated graphics. And the Models with 5700U or 5800U were like 750 to 850€ and the Lenovo costed me 880€. So i thought why spend the same for worse hardware.

If i'm not mistaken:
Go to Windows power plan, and limit the max CPU power to 99%. This should disable the Turbo Boost. For light stuff, Turbo isn't neccessary, but turbo is what ramps up the Power consumption.

On a 16" Macbook Pro Intel base model (6 Cores, 2,6 Ghz base), when i disabled the Turbo, Clocks never went above 2,6 ghz. In Daily use, zero difference in performance. But fans were never loud, and it never got hot. Not even during Cinebench. It can be a massive difference turning off the Turbo.

x86 CPUs like to boost. For every small thing, they boost, give 100% to complete the task and go back to idle. But when you don't stop using the computer, you get a lot of boost states.

Try that 99% thingy, and keep an Eye on HWiNFO64, how power consumption changes when doing stuff, and Clock speeds.

Maybe change the "save more battery" plan to 99% max speed, so you can always switch to "better Performance" when you actually need some more Power.