12900K Memory

Hey, i am (finally) getting a CPU upgrade (from a 7700k), but with the current DDR5 situation i will be probably going for a DDR4 board. I still have DDR4-3200 CL-16-20-20-38 RAM from my old CPU. Would upgrading it to DDR4-4000 CL-18-22-22-42 make a difference?

You might want to try overclock your current RAM if you're up to it.

If not, the price difference is not too big i guess.

I edit my posts more often than not

Never really looked into memory OC, only did CPU. I know that optimizing timings can do a lot, but i dont know how it works. I already tried adjusting memory speed but anything higher then 3200 will result in a hard crash

1 minute ago, RAID_BOMB said:

Never really looked into memory OC, only did CPU. I know that optimizing timings can do a lot, but i dont know how it works. I already tried adjusting memory speed but anything higher then 3200 will result in a hard crash

Have to rise RAM voltage to about 1.4V to be safe, and set looser timings for primary timings. It's imo easier than CPU oc.

But yeah, some RAM does not OC at all, then 4000Mhz is a good option, as they usually allow even higher oc.

I will give it a try, but if i wont be able to overclock them, would the upgrade be worth it?

2 minutes ago, RAID_BOMB said:

I will give it a try, but if i wont be able to overclock them, would the upgrade be worth it?

It's not going to be night and day. Hard to say is my opinion, probably I'd rather say that not really.

If you can afford a 12900k to begin with means 4000 CL18 shouldnt break the bank, it's not a bad choice. There could be better bins at similar prices (especially if you dont need RGB), say 4000 19-19-19-39 or Crucial's 18-19-19-39, even 4266 CL19

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

An overclock could help, sure, but it may not be necessary. Depending on what you do with your computer, RAM may not have any meaningful impact beyond about DDR4-3000 speed.

I'd start off with the RAM you currently have. There's no harm in trying it. By the time you've tried that, channels like Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus might have there RAM scaling videos out, and then you can assess whether an upgrade is worth the money.

I do suggest overclocking rams first, max id reccomend is 1.6v as some rams do come with 1.6v from the factory though they are some insanely high clocking rams, if you wanna be safe then just stick to 1.5v, 1.4v max is really conservative and thatll prob ruin any decent overclock

Could you tell us what rams do you have and what sku they are? Chances are you could have really good rams with b die or garbage rams with hynix mfr or something like that

For ram oc tutorial i do suggest watching some basic tutorials and once you understand ram oc then look at buildzoid ram oc vids as he pushes rams very hard and gets really good ram ocs, although do not follow him going over 1.7v cause 1.7v is the absolute max i can even reccomend as deathzone for ddr4 is ~2v, although they are just 3200 sticks so if you end up degrading them then might aswell upgrade xD

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I do suggest overclocking rams first, max id reccomend is 1.6v as some rams do come with 1.6v from the factory though they are some insanely high clocking rams, if you wanna be safe then just stick to 1.5v, 1.4v max is really conservative and thatll prob ruin any decent overclock

1.6V 😮  ... are you not sure you aren't thinking of DDR3?

Imo 1.4V is sure bet, 1.45 max every day. Above only for benchmarking.

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

1.6V 😮  ... are you not sure you aren't thinking of DDR3?

Imo 1.4V is sure bet, 1.45 max every day. Above only for benchmarking.

Laughs in ddr2 2.6v (absolute max safe)

I do not regard safe volts as i only use my rule of thumb, if deathzone = 2v, absolute max "safe" = 1.7v, reccomended max safe = 1.6v

Oh and i do not baby my hardware as i view babying hardware as wasted performance, i run 1.75v on my e8400 on max fsb runs, too bad my board only does 585 max. Once that damn ud3p is fixed and i get better cooling then sure ill prob daily with upto 1.75v on the cpu if the cooling can handle it

Babying hardware abit is def not a bad idea to increase longevity but babying too much = wasted performance, 1.4v is wasted performance, 1.5v is potential wasted performance but still ok ish by my standards, 1.6v is ideal, 1.7v is abit risky

In this case since its just 3200 rams ill reccomend 1.6v cause if they degrade theyll get upgraded anyways

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Babying hardware abit is def not a bad idea to increase longevity but babying too much = wasted performance, 1.4v is wasted performance, 1.5v is potential wasted performance but still ok ish by my standards, 1.6v is ideal, 1.7v is abit risky

Would you have a point of reference prehaps?

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Laughs in ddr2 2.6v (absolute max safe)

I do not regard safe volts as i only use my rule of thumb, if deathzone = 2v, absolute max "safe" = 1.7v, reccomended max safe = 1.6v

Oh and i do not baby my hardware as i view babying hardware as wasted performance, i run 1.75v on my e8400 on max fsb runs, too bad my board only does 585 max. Once that damn ud3p is fixed and i get better cooling then sure ill prob daily with upto 1.75v on the cpu if the cooling can handle it

In this case since its just 3200 rams ill reccomend 1.6v cause if they degrade theyll get upgraded anyways

DDR-1 12v 😎

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

4 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Would you have a point of reference prehaps?

On the deathzone i could only find buildzoid when he was ocing some team b die rams, pushed to 1.97v, and on other ram oc vids ive even heard him talk about going above 2v so its prob higher then just 2v deathzone but ill just leave deathzone at 2v just to not concern literally everyone with the volts i reccomend (0.4v under deathzone even if it is safe)

Although as you know im comfortable with high volts so yea no sht why i dont give a crap about the general reccomended safe volts and just use my rule of thumb, heck even intel 14nm spec is 1.52v, deathzone for 14nm is ~1.9v so they are in the reccomended max safe volt

Now do you see why i dont give a crap about general safe voltages? Cause they are often too low aka bullsht, with the newer architectures the general safe voltages are alot closer to what is actually reccomended by my rule of thumb though usually off by -0.1v

9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Now do you see why i dont give a crap about general safe voltages? Cause they are often too low aka bullsht, with the newer architectures the general safe voltages are alot closer to what is actually reccomended by my rule of thumb though usually off by -0.1v

You do realize that B-Die is not on all of sticks.

Perhaps it would be wise to check out what die-s the sticks have before assuming the best... 

Corsair recommends 1.4v, to be safe:

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052448851-Tips-on-safely-overclocking-memory

12 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Safely overclocking memory my ass

13 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

You do realize that B-Die is not on all of sticks.

Well shit you are totally right

Well then 1.4v is bullsht, 1.5v is reccomended, 1.6v is somewhat risky, 1.7v is risky, Just gotta knock down the volts by -0.1v and done, that should be fit all volts for most ram dies

5 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Could you tell us what rams do you have and what sku they are? Chances are you could have really good rams with b die or garbage rams with hynix mfr or something like that

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 

I’ve done a lot of research on this topic having the same question myself. And most of the sources I’ve found say that, outside of benchmarks, going faster than 3200 MHz is hardly noticeable in real world use. In gaming you might see a few FPS higher or an improvement in the 1% lows but nothing groundbreaking.

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G