Turning G.Skill Trident Z Neo into dummy sticks

PinkMusen

Hello, 

I have some nice ram, and i am not looking to replace it. i however have some lesser specced modules which i want to turn into dummy memory modules.

g.skill does not sell any dummy sticks and i don't want to buy more expensive C14 3800 sticks which could also end up overloading the memory controller (dual rank sticks), also going for 64GB of ram would be rather wasteful.

Anyone have some suggestions for disabling the memory and keeping the RGB active ?

7 minutes ago, vjNobody said:

Sell the RAM :0 and then get more?

it's rather well binned memory, 3800 CL14, hard to come by, also one of the goals was to see if i could repurpose some CL18 memory of the same type without losing performance. 

I'm all for not bricking good working hardware, but maybe this is just me? At any rate, it is likely possible, but I just wouldn't want to try it. There's not enough hardware out there for people at this point. What I was asking, is if it wouldn't be cooler to sell the ram you are about to gut, and buy two more sticks that work for you. Do as you like, though, it is yours.

14 minutes ago, vjNobody said:

I'm all for not bricking good working hardware, but maybe this is just me? At any rate, it is likely possible, but I just wouldn't want to try it. There's not enough hardware out there for people at this point. What I was asking, is if it wouldn't be cooler to sell the ram you are about to gut, and buy two more sticks that work for you. Do as you like, though, it is yours.

sure i could sell the slow stuff, but i risk it not being able to run, 4 dual rank sticks could overload the memory controller (ryzen 5000 series), 64 gigabytes of ram would be way overkill and 430 USD for some sticks just like the ones i have is a lot, just for some fancy RGB.

the CL18 sticks are a bit unstable, i abused them with over 1.5V, they refuse to run anything over stock now and produce memory related BSOD (fault in non paged area) every other day (not really sell worthy).

Repurposing seems logical to me, sure they "work", but disabling the memory modules and keeping the RGB active would be a good usage for them.

I'm just unsure which pins to file off/or nail polish, i've tried searching and was hoping someone on here could know how it could be done. 

this is a dummy kit, you could try copying just the pins visible on this.

i don't have a picture of the other side sadly, but if you just google 288-pin ram pinouts and see what pins are exposed on these dummy modules you should be able to figure it out.

dummy.thumb.jpg.1c26e439bf1bbc94c92db5a2fcd4d8ae.jpg

lots of work though..