Is my old computer a usable platform ?

lolly
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Yea that old system should work fine. Id keep the gpu out. Use the igpu on the i5, and save some power too.

Hi there,

At the beginning of the year, I bought a Synology DS220+ NAS because I didn't have enough storage space and didn't want to buy hundreds of external hard drives!!!

Today, one year later, this NAS isn't enough ... not in storage capacity - it'll be but not for now – but in power.

I use it as a plex server and as a Kavita server (for comics and manga) and I begin to feel that it's getting limited.

As I'm planning to do more with it, I'm thinking to recycle my old computer to turn it into a server.

This computer has an intel core i5 3570K, 16Go of ram, don't remember exactly the storage in it but it's not the subject as I'll upgrade it and an old GTX 660.

Do you think it'll be able to run everything I'm actually running on it and some other server apps?

For the plex side for now I don't care at all about 4K as none of my monitor/TV can handle it!

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Ok kind of logic exposed this way ^^ thanks a lot !

6 hours ago, lolly said:

Hi there,

At the beginning of the year, I bought a Synology DS220+ NAS because I didn't have enough storage space and didn't want to buy hundreds of external hard drives!!!

Today, one year later, this NAS isn't enough ... not in storage capacity - it'll be but not for now – but in power.

I use it as a plex server and as a Kavita server (for comics and manga) and I begin to feel that it's getting limited.

As I'm planning to do more with it, I'm thinking to recycle my old computer to turn it into a server.

This computer has an intel core i5 3570K, 16Go of ram, don't remember exactly the storage in it but it's not the subject as I'll upgrade it and an old GTX 660.

Do you think it'll be able to run everything I'm actually running on it and some other server apps?

For the plex side for now I don't care at all about 4K as none of my monitor/TV can handle it!

Many thanks in advance for your help!

How many concurrent plex streams do you have? Do you need transcoding? Why do you think your synology is underpowered? 

10 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

How many concurrent plex streams do you have? Do you need transcoding? Why do you think your synology is underpowered? 

I will go up to 6 streams at the same time. I don't need transcoding at all.

I think I didn't explain right my goal. When I said underpowered I should have said not future proof as I'm already populated on each bay first of all. Then DSM is nice to use but I feel like I could use a better solution (Truenas, unraid ?).

I want to be able to do whatever I need/want without thinking of the performance.

And while for now for Plex and Kavita this NAS is enough, I've some different projects ^^'