Choosing a new monitor

MajorFoley

So im having trouble trying to pick a new monitor. Want to upgrade to 1440P from a 1080P one which will become my new snd monito (currently using a XB241H acer predator) but i dont know which one to pick.

What im looking for is high refresh rate 27' IPS monitor. I play not quite competitively but semi competitively in games and then some games where its just single player (like dark souls). Kind of want the monitor to be a set and forget kind of thing not mess around with overdrive settings depending on the game i play (if because a game forces you to play at 60hz like the afromentioned dark souls), if i can help it and maybe decent colour accuracy out of the box if possible. Dunno if there are stores around Australia that will let you borrow one. Don't really have a budget but id say something like 800 AUD is the max I'd pay.

Some suggestions given to me were the Dell 2721DGF and Alienware AW2721D as well as a couple of LG monitors although those seem to have bad ergonomics.

Suggestions would be welcome!

The MSI MAG724QRF-QD is the best choice in your budget.

- 27"

- 1440p

- 165Hz

- very good response times

- one of the widest color gamuts available

- set and forget overdrive

- different picture modes for sRGB, DCI-P3 and AdobeRGB, so colors will never be oversaturated

- all the stand adjustments you'd need

- doesn't suffer from the same low-contrast problem LG's NanoIPS panels have

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

The MSI MAG724QRF-QD is the best choice in your budget.

- 27"

- 1440p

- 165Hz

- very good response times

- one of the widest color gamuts available

- set and forget overdrive

- different picture modes for sRGB, DCI-P3 and AdobeRGB, so colors will never be oversaturated

- all the stand adjustments you'd need

- doesn't suffer from the same low-contrast problem LG's NanoIPS panels have

Doesnt the MSI one come out with bad colour accuracy? Least what i saw according to Rtings and the sRGB colour clamp according to them isnt great
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-mag274qrf-qd

2 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

Doesnt the MSI one come out with bad colour accuracy? Least what i saw according to Rtings and the sRGB colour clamp according to them isnt great
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-mag274qrf-qd

Any monitor comes with bad accuracity if you want to get into that topic. Color accuracity changes significantly across different units, even when it's the same monitor, so i wouldn't give reviews too much credit for that. It's a very rough approximation of what you'll receive at best. If you care about accurate colors, then you cannot trust any factory calibrated monitor tbh and have to calibrate it yourself, ideally using proper tools. This problem RTINGS found on their unit wouldn't steer me away from basically the best non-HDR 1440p monitor out there.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Any monitor comes with bad accuracity if you want to get into that topic. Color accuracity changes significantly across different units, even when it's the same monitor, so i wouldn't give reviews too much credit for that. It's a very rough approximation of what you'll receive at best. If you care about accurate colors, then you cannot trust any factory calibrated monitor tbh and have to calibrate it yourself, ideally using proper tools. This problem RTINGS found on their unit wouldn't steer me away from basically the best non-HDR 1440p monitor out there.

Hmm will see if i can find something on it. And if a game say like Tarkov falls below a certain refresh rate that going to affect how it looks with the fast over drive setting?

1 hour ago, MajorFoley said:

Hmm will see if i can find something on it. And if a game say like Tarkov falls below a certain refresh rate that going to affect how it looks with the fast over drive setting?

This monitor can be set to fast and will deliver good performance all the way down to 60Hz. Idk how low Tarkov gets.

Here is also an excellent review: (mind this video has been made before the sRGB picture mode update, but performance still applies)