Issues with computer booting when install more RAM, 16gb to 32gb

BurningEmber

Alrighty so I decided to upgrade from 16gb of ram to 32gb because why the hell not? Well when I did, my computer booted up, and was working fine, I checked to see if all of the ram was available to be used but was showing 24gb available instead of the 32. So then I went to system configuration and boot advanced options and put the max memory(followed a youtube video) which required a restart. Then it would not want to boot properly. I got the blue screen of something going wrong and having to restart/repair. It would not want to load by normally pressing the power button. I then went into my BIOS and tried figuring out what I can do, I changed the memory speed from 3200 to auto in hopes that maybe that would help/solve it. Started up windows and it was working okay but still not all of the ram was available to use. Then i decided to just give up on it for a bit, was happy that it booted to windows finally and I turned off my computer and went to do other things and when I came back, I was having the same issues of getting that blue screen. Whenever I would get into my bios weather i made changes or not, it would boot properly. So tonight I decided to take out the ram and see how my computer would boot and it would work normally with no issue. As soon as i added back the additional 16gb, same issues, to the point that I got this screen that scared the F out of me but once I removed the ram, again everything is working fine. Does anyone know what I could do to make it work properly or what may be causing issues. I'm ready to return the ram and just be content with the 16gb I already had because this is not it haha. 

My specs are:

ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

RTX 3070

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz( the other 16gb ram sticks are the same exact ones)

AMD Ry1073281271_ramstuff.thumb.PNG.b973d065c37f5207c70c8e49b1cbe5cd.PNGzen 5 3600Puter.thumb.jpg.5ab9a4ef5c0b39a5930330eaebb40f3c.jpg

blue screen.jpg

4 minutes ago, BurningEmber said:

Alrighty so I decided to upgrade from 16gb of ram to 32gb because why the hell not? Well when I did, my computer booted up, and was working fine, I checked to see if all of the ram was available to be used but was showing 24gb available instead of the 32. So then I went to system configuration and boot advanced options and put the max memory(followed a youtube video) which required a restart. Then it would not want to boot properly. I got the blue screen of something going wrong and having to restart/repair. It would not want to load by normally pressing the power button. I then went into my BIOS and tried figuring out what I can do, I changed the memory speed from 3200 to auto in hopes that maybe that would help/solve it. Started up windows and it was working okay but still not all of the ram was available to use. Then i decided to just give up on it for a bit, was happy that it booted to windows finally and I turned off my computer and went to do other things and when I came back, I was having the same issues of getting that blue screen. Whenever I would get into my bios weather i made changes or not, it would boot properly. So tonight I decided to take out the ram and see how my computer would boot and it would work normally with no issue. As soon as i added back the additional 16gb, same issues, to the point that I got this screen that scared the F out of me but once I removed the ram, again everything is working fine. Does anyone know what I could do to make it work properly or what may be causing issues. I'm ready to return the ram and just be content with the 16gb I already had because this is not it haha. 

My specs are:

ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

RTX 3070

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz( the other 16gb ram sticks are the same exact ones)

AMD Ry1073281271_ramstuff.thumb.PNG.b973d065c37f5207c70c8e49b1cbe5cd.PNGzen 5 3600Puter.thumb.jpg.5ab9a4ef5c0b39a5930330eaebb40f3c.jpg

blue screen.jpg

I have never heard of the max memory setting…. And I have built a lot of PC’s and upgraded a lot of RAM. So I have no idea what that even does, but I’m pretty sure that has nothing to do with this.

Have you tried using a different combination of the 4 sticks? Try and rule out if a stick is bad, or a slot on the mobo is bad. That’s where you need to start. If you try 3 sticks and they all work, swap one out and see if they work. Then try and see which slot may be the issue. I’d put a sticky note on each so you can keep track of which stick came with what kit and just try and narrow down the issue. With that info we will be able to provide more help, because at this point all I can say is “likely one stick is bad, your mobo is bad, or your CPU is bad, just have no idea which it is yet.”

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

4 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I have never heard of the max memory setting…. And I have built a lot of PC’s and upgraded a lot of RAM. So I have no idea what that even does, but I’m pretty sure that has nothing to do with this.

Have you tried using a different combination of the 4 sticks? Try and rule out if a stick is bad, or a slot on the mobo is bad. That’s where you need to start. If you try 3 sticks and they all work, swap one out and see if they work. Then try and see which slot may be the issue. I’d put a sticky note on each so you can keep track of which stick came with what kit and just try and narrow down the issue. With that info we will be able to provide more help, because at this point all I can say is “likely one stick is bad, your mobo is bad, or your CPU is bad, just have no idea which it is yet.”

That is a very good idea! Let me try that out right now by adding just 3 sticks and see if that works well and then trying the other slot. At least from my knowledge the 2 slots that have been used work. Then after that I can swap those two out and put the new pair in those slots and see how that works out. Thank you! I shall come back with whatever results I get. 

Im having a very similar issue, I have the same mother board and am using the same ram, I previously had 16gb of 3200mhz and just purchased 16gb more of 3200mhz and corsair vengeance LPX, but when I installed the 2 new sticks I didnt even get a post screen.

Edit: 
Somehow I scrolled past @LIGISTXcomment suggesting what I said in this comment... 😛

Original comment:
First thing first, even though it works, lets say 95% of the time, it is not recommended to use 2 different sets of RAM kits together, even though they are the same "model". They RAM sticks might not work well together, causing errors and such. That is also why 2x RAM kits with 2 sticks are cheaper than 1x RAM kit with 4 sticks. The kit with 4 sticks has gone through more testing. But as I said, 95% of the time, it works fine. In the past, I have mixed RAM kits aswell, even different models. Worked fine. 

If I were you, I'd start out with using the kit that you know works. Then try each RAM slot, just test and check that all RAM slots work fine. Lets say all slots work fine, then test the new kit in all slots aswell. But if the first kit does not work in all slots, then you have found the issue. Either it's the motherboard or CPU. If this is the case, see if there is any BIOS updates available. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

28 minutes ago, Tyderas said:

Im having a very similar issue, I have the same mother board and am using the same ram, I previously had 16gb of 3200mhz and just purchased 16gb more of 3200mhz and corsair vengeance LPX, but when I installed the 2 new sticks I didnt even get a post screen.

I'm not alone!!! haha, it is such a struggle and was hoping I'd fall into the realm of it working with no issues but nope. 

19 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Edit: 
Somehow I scrolled past @LIGISTXcomment suggesting what I said in this comment... 😛

Original comment:
First thing first, even though it works, lets say 95% of the time, it is not recommended to use 2 different sets of RAM kits together, even though they are the same "model". They RAM sticks might not work well together, causing errors and such. That is also why 2x RAM kits with 2 sticks are cheaper than 1x RAM kit with 4 sticks. The kit with 4 sticks has gone through more testing. But as I said, 95% of the time, it works fine. In the past, I have mixed RAM kits aswell, even different models. Worked fine. 

If I were you, I'd start out with using the kit that you know works. Then try each RAM slot, just test and check that all RAM slots work fine. Lets say all slots work fine, then test the new kit in all slots aswell. But if the first kit does not work in all slots, then you have found the issue. Either it's the motherboard or CPU. If this is the case, see if there is any BIOS updates available. 

I did do some test. Not all the options which I should. So I did what @LIGISTX suggested by checking if the 2 empty slots are not the issue by only put 3 sticks in and well to summarize it, with the new kit, i tested out both slots with just 3 slots filled and all results in the blue screen. I have not tested out removing the original kit and putting the new kit in those slots. I might try that out but idk, I just feel like its just not gonna work. I remember updating my BIOS not that long ago but let me check again since window 11 stuff, there might be another bios update. 

42 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

I tried your method and each stick from the new kit, no matter which slot, it would result in the blue screen. Going to try swaping out the old kit with the new and see if that alone works. 

15 minutes ago, BurningEmber said:

I did do some test. Not all the options which I should. So I did what @LIGISTX suggested by checking if the 2 empty slots are not the issue by only put 3 sticks in and well to summarize it, with the new kit, i tested out both slots with just 3 slots filled and all results in the blue screen. I have not tested out removing the original kit and putting the new kit in those slots. I might try that out but idk, I just feel like its just not gonna work. I remember updating my BIOS not that long ago but let me check again since window 11 stuff, there might be another bios update. 

I understand why you feel like it's not going to work but you should test all RAM slots. Start by using the old kit. You know already that some of the slots work, most likely A2 and B2 because of Dual channel. Now test A1 and B1 with the same kit. If that fails, then you know that the motherboard or CPU is at fault. If it works, then great. Now test the new kit the same way, first in A2 and B2, then in A1 and B1. Then we can take it from there 🙂

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

9 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

I understand why you feel like it's not going to work but you should test all RAM slots. Start by using the old kit. You know already that some of the slots work, most likely A2 and B2 because of Dual channel. Now test A1 and B1 with the same kit. If that fails, then you know that the motherboard or CPU is at fault. If it works, then great. Now test the new kit the same way, first in A2 and B2, then in A1 and B1. Then we can take it from there 🙂

Okay let me start by admitting that when i initially built this PC i had put the ram in the wrong slots (A2 and B2) without knowing for months! I was going based off my old build and assumed(never again) that the ram went into the same slots as my old motherboard. Then i actually looked at my motherboard manual when i got parts for my friends (same cpu,motherboard) and realized then and there mine were at the wrong slots. I also noticed when playing apex legends and it was stuttering so bad out of no where. So with that those slots do work(I should test it again to be sure). What I did just test is swaping the old kit with the new kit and the new kit is working properly, it booted up normally and i restarted it twice and no issues. So now I think BIOS update is the next step since there is one from back in September.  BTW  thank you for helping me with this process! I was full on stuggle bus the past 2 days trying to figure out what the issue is. I updated my BIOS once before and I am trying so hard to remember how the process goes because I remember it was pretty scary when I did it, I save this onto a usb stick and from the bios itself i do something... let me research. smh lol

image.thumb.png.157e504a3a13307ac9845e5e890f87ab.png

11 minutes ago, BurningEmber said:

Okay let me start by admitting that when i initially built this PC i had put the ram in the wrong slots (A2 and B2) without knowing for months! I was going based off my old build and assumed(never again) that the ram went into the same slots as my old motherboard. Then i actually looked at my motherboard manual when i got parts for my friends (same cpu,motherboard) and realized then and there mine were at the wrong slots. I also noticed when playing apex legends and it was stuttering so bad out of no where. So with that those slots do work(I should test it again to be sure). What I did just test is swaping the old kit with the new kit and the new kit is working properly, it booted up normally and i restarted it twice and no issues. So now I think BIOS update is the next step since there is one from back in September.  BTW  thank you for helping me with this process! I was full on stuggle bus the past 2 days trying to figure out what the issue is.image.thumb.png.157e504a3a13307ac9845e5e890f87ab.png

You are supposed to install 2 RAM sticks in A2 and B2. This is the only way to get Dual Channel mode. So you initially did it the right way. But sure, this means that all slots have been tested. Hmm yeah, give that BIOS update a try. 

See this snip about RAM installation in your motherboard:
image.png.ce4fdf60694d063b7c22b92f5c9dd08d.png

This is how it is done in like all motherboards, as far as I know. 

And you're welcome hehe 🙂

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

7 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

You are supposed to install 2 RAM sticks in A2 and B2. This is the only way to get Dual Channel mode. So you initially did it the right way. But sure, this means that all slots have been tested. Hmm yeah, give that BIOS update a try. 

See this snip about RAM installation in your motherboard:
image.png.ce4fdf60694d063b7c22b92f5c9dd08d.png

This is how it is done in like all motherboards, as far as I know. 

And you're welcome hehe 🙂

oh my bad i meant to say i had it in A1 and B1 when I first installed it haha. Yes that is how I've had it since I corrected it. smh Always look at manuals. haha I'm about to go into the bios to update it through my usb stick 😄 

3 minutes ago, BurningEmber said:

oh my bad i meant to say i had it in A1 and B1 when I first installed it haha. Yes that is how I've had it since I corrected it. smh Always look at manuals. haha I'm about to go into the bios to update it through my usb stick 😄 

Hehe alright, no worries 🙂

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

10 minutes ago, BurningEmber said:

And now the wait for the update begins hehe. 

57DA3C37-3D5E-4611-9ADF-46886B621DED.jpeg

0B30D220-8F0B-4B03-BD41-5D3EEA4FE1C9.jpeg

10 minutes ago, BurningEmber said:

And now the wait for the update begins hehe. 

57DA3C37-3D5E-4611-9ADF-46886B621DED.jpeg

0B30D220-8F0B-4B03-BD41-5D3EEA4FE1C9.jpeg

Okay I am now updated. So I was following this video(the one I followed when I first updated bios) and he makes these changes to ram and now I’m wonder if maybe that comes into play of the issues I’m having maybe a solution. Idk. Let me post the link to the video and my pics 

704DFBDC-C41A-4AC5-8600-41E4CAECDC9A.jpeg

4234DC6C-6AB2-453D-9758-761958C57F54.jpeg

4CDA4250-4840-432E-B91A-40CD96884CBB.jpeg

D9A15FD9-C721-45D4-A6E5-19349A04C808.jpeg

@BurningEmberso what is the status?

PC Setup: 

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Racing SIM Setup: 

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

8 hours ago, Tyderas said:

Did that work for ya?

I fell asleep after I updated the bios 😅

8 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

@BurningEmberso what is the status?

I fell asleep 😅. Gonna try some troubleshooting in a bit 

8 hours ago, Dean0919 said:
  1. Did you uncheck that "maximum memory" thing in Windows? If you didn't, probably that's why it's blue screening. Your PC started having blue screens after you enabled that feature. To be honest, I have no idea what is it or what does it do, but just make it like it was on default.
  2. Put everything on default in bios inlcuding RAM speed, just to exclude the problem from speeds.
  3. Take out all memory sticks and put only your original sticks (16GB).

Let's see if PC will be working fine. If it's working and doesn't do blue screens, then now slowly start adding your new memory sticks. First put just one and see what happens.

P.S. That thing that your PC from the beginning was detecting only 24GB makes me think that one of your memory sticks wasn't detected by system (32-24=8). Maybe you didn't put one of the sticks very well inside the slot? Make sure you put RAM well in their slots.

yes I did uncheck the max memory thingy and I shall try leaving the memory on default before adding the new ram and see how the computer reacts. 

probably the memory controller can't cope with 4 sticks... 

You could also try manually overclocking the ram with looser timings instead of xmp (assuming you didn't try that already?) 

If all fails,  get 1 kit, say 32gb (2×16) instead of 2 different kits , might fix the issue. 

Good luck and nice build btw. 👍

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

23 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

probably the memory controller can't cope with 4 sticks... 

You could also try manually overclocking the ram with looser timings instead of xmp (assuming you didn't try that already?) 

If all fails,  get 1 kit, say 32gb (2×16) instead of 2 different kits , might fix the issue. 

Good luck and nice build btw. 👍

that could be it, i haven't messed much with overclocking the ram since I never done it before but I can try looking into it haha. I have a class to do so after that I shall start working on things again. Thank you! 😄 

2 hours ago, BurningEmber said:

that could be it, i haven't messed much with overclocking the ram since I never done it before but I can try looking into it haha. I have a class to do so after that I shall start working on things again. Thank you! 😄 

Okay no luck. 😣 I tried installing the ram and changing the settings to auto when it came to the AI over clocking tuner, and kept getting blue screens. I changed it back to the D.O.C.P. Setting and again more blue screens. 

479DEC7B-CEE6-4C95-82CA-AEDE4119A967.jpeg

2A07AE20-C344-46F0-A906-D5C4466A5D1C.jpeg

592696DD-253C-4BDD-866D-70EB84E30F1A.jpeg

C75900E5-5775-4C95-B819-0715B5D95505.jpeg

DE1E93F6-5D02-4502-A187-FA89B845E1E3.jpeg

14E0FB3A-D9CB-4921-9156-413CEF125182.jpeg

4 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

Qestions: Did you try your original RAMs first? Did you have blue screens on them? Were they on a default settings or overlocked?

Forget about overlocking at this moment. You main goal is to check your memory sticks stability. If they aren't blue screening, after that you should try to overlock them.

Yes I tried both kits first in the A2, B2 and it ran perfectly. I did not try the original kit on A1,B1 and the other set on the other two. I know A1 and B1 do work from when i accidently input the first kit in those slots when i first built my computer and it was runnning well(not really well but like it would boot normally lol) I started with default settings not overclocked(D.O.C.P) and still was getting the blue screen. I am looking at the motherboard faq regarding memory performance trying to see if something clicks that could possibly be an issue/solution but nothing so far. https://rog.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1042256

9 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

Wait, I'm a bit confused.

Yeah, same haha.

So OP, original RAM sticks working at default settings?

You can either reset cmos (remove battery for 10 minutes) or in bios "load optimized default settings" (or similar)

20 hours ago, BurningEmber said:

tried installing the ram and changing the settings to auto when it came to the AI over clocking tuner, and kept getting blue screens. I changed it back to the D.O.C.P. Setting and again more blue screens. 

So, the original RAM works? 

You only have this issue with the new RAM?

Besides,  my idea was to manually overclock the RAM , no automatic  tuner stuff (that's not how it works, that would probably be too simple lol), but let's keep that for later, we first need to know now what even works at all,  and preferably at default settings?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity