Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which cables do I buy from CableMod?

ThatCrazyFish27
 Share

Hi,

 

I'm seeking guidance or reassurance for custom cables from CableMod.

 

My system has a Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3070 ti. It has two 8 pin connectors and then a 6 pin connector, so if I am understanding this correctly, I need a total of 22 pins. I will attach a screenshot of the GPU from Gigabyte's website so you can view the pins yourself to verify what I am claiming.

image.thumb.png.e75334d1a691597456aeb740a6dfb2bd.png

 

So my confusion stems from the listings of available offers from the custom configurator on their website, it shows these options

 

image.png.bfdb3a0da3a705d820ecb480a7b56b9a.png


It says the 12 pin is for NVIDIA 3000 series GPU's, but my GPU is a 22 pin and I think it is technically not a NVIDIA GPU, so would I just order two 8 pin ones and then a 6 pin one so that they all fit my GPU or would the 12 pin one come with everything I need?

I also found these on Amazon, which is basically what I want, but I'm still unsure of whether it would work with my system or not because for the GPU cables it is says (6+2), and I don't know if the 6 means two 6 pin connectors and then a single 2 pin connector because if that was the case, then it wouldn't work for my card.

 

Any tips and advice would be appreciated, I've done a bit of research on my own but I find this topic a little complicated to research thoroughly without making mistakes and I have never purchased custom cables before so the concept is foreign to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ThatCrazyFish27 said:

It says the 12 pin is for NVIDIA 3000 series GPU's, but my GPU is a 22 pin and I think it is technically not a NVIDIA GPU, so would I just order two 8 pin ones and then a 6 pin one so that they all fit my GPU or would the 12 pin one come with everything I need?

You want two of the 8 pin PCIe and one of the 6 pin PCIe.

The 12 pin cable is for Nvidia's own cards that have a 12 pin connector. You can't use it with your graphics card.

 

3 minutes ago, ThatCrazyFish27 said:

I also found these on Amazon, which is basically what I want, but I'm still unsure of whether it would work with my system or not because for the GPU cables it is says (6+2), and I don't know if the 6 means two 6 pin connectors and then a single 2 pin connector because if that was the case, then it wouldn't work for my card.

Those are extension cables that plug in to the end of your existing PSU cables.

The 6+2 connector just means it can be clicked together to form an 8 pin connector or separated to be a 6 pin connector. That way it can be used in either 6pin or 8 pin slots. The extension cable kit you linked to has TWO 6+2 pin extension cables. You would need THREE for your graphics card.

image.png

 

 

What power supply do you have? Are you looking for cables that replace the ones included with the power supply or extension cables that add on to the end of the existing power supply cables to make them longer?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

You want two of the 8 pin PCIe and one of the 6 pin PCIe.

The 12 pin cable is for Nvidia's own cards that have a 12 pin connector. You can't use it with your graphics card.

 

Those are extension cables that plug in to the end of your existing PSU cables.

The 6+2 connector just means it can be clicked together to form an 8 pin connector or separated to be a 6 pin connector. That way it can be used in either 6pin or 8 pin slots. The extension cable kit you linked to has TWO 6+2 pin extension cables. You would need THREE for your graphics card.

image.png

 

 

What power supply do you have? Are you looking for cables that replace the ones included with the power supply or extension cables that add on to the end of the existing power supply cables to make them longer?

Thank you for the explanation, that makes sense.

 

This is my parts list so you can see everything my system has, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gJ97kX

 

To answer your question, I am looking for cables that replace the ones included with my power supply so I can get a color scheme established and have cleaner cables that are easier to manage.

 

So given that, could I still purchase the ones I referenced from Amazon and then just order custom cables from the configurator where they just send me two 8 pin PCIe and then a single 6 pin PCIe cable since that would be a lot cheaper than ordering everything from their custom configurator?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, ThatCrazyFish27 said:

To answer your question, I am looking for cables that replace the ones included with my power supply so I can get a color scheme established and have cleaner cables that are easier to manage.

 

So given that, could I still purchase the ones I referenced from Amazon and then just order custom cables from the configurator where they just send me two 8 pin PCIe and then a single 6 pin PCIe cable since that would be a lot cheaper than ordering everything from their custom configurator?

Extensions create a mess, you need plenty of room to support the extra cable bulk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ThatCrazyFish27 said:

I also found these on Amazon

Never use extensions with nVidia Ampere. It can give you a lot of issues.

 

You need Corsair type 3 or type 4 (they're the same on PCI-e) pinned replacement cables from CableMod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×