Open Source Extension Re-Enables YouTube Dislike Counter Reporting

BloodAsp

Summary

The browser extension for the time being re-enables the display of YouTube dislike counts, and when the API stops reporting this information, it will draw information from the channel to take an educated guess at it's ratios, or allow the creator to opt in to reporting their statistics.

My thoughts

This is important to me as it will restore functionality that the greater majority of youtube's community has vocally pushed against.  The methods of interpreting future videos dislike ratios is of slight concern to me, but that is likely the best solution to the unfortunate circumstance youtube has put themselves in.

Sources

https://github.com/Anarios/return-youtube-dislike
https://www.returnyoutubedislike.com/

Side note: my first post here, hope this is in the correct spot!

I wouldn't really consider this Tech News.  There are also a few extensions and scripts that currently re-add the functionality until Google Drops the API.

23 minutes ago, BloodAsp said:

when the API stops reporting this information, it will draw information from the channel to take an educated guess at it's ratios, or allow the creator to opt in to reporting their statistics.

So in other words, inaccurate counting that is meaningless.

Personally I don't really see why people even care whether the Like and Dislike Counts are public.

can you plug this on the wan show linus media group this is a good extenson it adds dislikes back to yt its on firefox and chrome stores https://returnyoutubedislike.com/ i dont know the guy who made it but i think it sould be a thing everwon has its also gpl so you can read the code if it seems sketch

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I wouldn't really consider this Tech News.  There are also a few extensions and scripts that currently re-add the functionality until Google Drops the API.

Personally I don't really see why people even care whether the Like and Dislike Counts are public.

I suppose the important detail I didn't include was that they cashe pre-existing counts, as well as provide "estimates extrapolated from extension user data".

As per why people care, in all honesty, I have nothing new to add that hasn't already been said, for or against it many times over. Personally, I gain benefit from this tool, so I will use it.
Controversy aside, I'm always for more features that are up to the users to decide how to use themselves, rather than arbitrarily restricting or more heinously, removing pre-existing functionality which many users already rely upon.

1. That’s not what the WAN show is for.

2. I think the extension uses YouTube’s API, which will almost certainly remove the features to view dislikes soon. At best it’s a temporary solution. 

1 minute ago, poochyena said:

This is good timing. The dislikes just disappeared from videos on my end an hour ago

Same here, they were there as of about 1pm US centeral time, gone now

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, BloodAsp said:

when the API stops reporting this information, it will draw information from the channel to take an educated guess at it's ratios

I hope they make it very clear every time they show the count that it is a guess because if they don’t, that’s worse than not showing the dislike count.

15 minutes ago, The_russian said:

1. That’s not what the WAN show is for.

2. I think the extension uses YouTube’s API, which will almost certainly remove the features to view dislikes soon. At best it’s a temporary solution. 

Here is an explanation form a YouTuber idk his relation with the extension.E26E6200-F323-4C29-86DE-D7569C1FC224.jpeg.34e16c9f08099b281e55bc33847d48a9.jpeg

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qm9Mwc

Main Project:

A desk that has a hatch that opens in the middle of it and then goes down flush with the desk. 

Other projects I am working on 

• Sleeper TI-99 4A
  • Second Keyboard

as I wanted to say in the other one, it's just kinda stupid to remove it. when it could just be given or notified more to the account that uploads the video rather onto everyone else.

12 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

I had actually started working on a browser extension that would do the same thing it's actually very simple. However I didn't continue after learning the API would be discontinued. There is no point in making one and then having false data. 

8 hours ago, James Evens said:

I already got used to it.

YouTube is now for me just another streaming site. Everything it once was is now removed.

image.png.661950c46f6633bd21d0e1999c827414.png

Personally I fixed this inconsequent move by removing the remaining button with uBlock.

Yep seriously might as well take the upvote button of as well no point anymore. 

17 hours ago, BloodAsp said:

Summary

The browser extension for the time being re-enables the display of YouTube dislike counts, and when the API stops reporting this information, it will draw information from the channel to take an educated guess at it's ratios, or allow the creator to opt in to reporting their statistics.

My thoughts

This is important to me as it will restore functionality that the greater majority of youtube's community has vocally pushed against.  The methods of interpreting future videos dislike ratios is of slight concern to me, but that is likely the best solution to the unfortunate circumstance youtube has put themselves in.

Sources

Side note: my first post here, hope this is in the correct spot!

Yep heard about this extension seems pretty cool

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

Summary

Dmitry Selivanov, a user on github by the name of Anarios, has created an extension that allows users to restore YouTube dislike metrics to videos. The free extension works currently with a combination of GoogleAPI data and scraped data from videos still displaying the dislike count. Once Google removes dislike counts from the YouTube API in December, the extension will "switch to using a combination of archived dislike stats, estimates extrapolated from extension user data and estimates based on view/like ratios for videos whose dislikes weren't archived and for outdated dislike archives" (ReturnYouTubeDislikes FAQ). In an interview with NewsWeek, Selivanov said

Quotes

This approach might not work so well on polarizing topics, such as politics, vaccines and religion. In these [cases] everyone should decide for themselves and not go with a herd mentality, because videos on these topics can get raided by opposing parties. But if it's a simple programming tutorial, the YouTube dislike ratio is quite a good quality indicator. And I mostly use YouTube for educational videos and tutorials, so not being able to see dislikes in these categories was quite hindering. Regarding the user privacy question. We're not collecting any private data [...] We only store publicly available dislike counts. Later, when we start collecting actual votes made by extension users, we won't be storing this data in an identifiable way. Just anonymous IDs.

My thoughts

As it stands, this extension is the best method we have of restoring YouTube dislike counts to videos. I think this extension can be very useful to users who rely on the like to dislike ratio for quickly validating the authenticity/quality of a video, and the more users who download it before YouTube completely removes the dislike count from the API, the more videos this extension can archive counts for and the more accurate it will become.

Sources

https://www.newsweek.com/return-youtube-dislike-browser-extension-google-chrome-firefox-1654339

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

I thought of this when I first heard of the removal of the dislike button.

I think its a great idea (at least in theory)

My idea was add the button/count back with an extension and have the extension keep track of the dislikes using the extension.

You could even add a 'why people disliked this section'  where users could select why they disliked it (a list of reasons)

anyone with the extension can see the dislikes by the other people with it. (requires a user base tho)

I should make this...

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Is this a second extension that does this with the same name as the other one? 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

9 minutes ago, Keudn said:

rely on the like to dislike ratio for quickly validating the authenticity/quality of a video

I would say independent study is the best way to authenticate any form of media, not a like to dislike ratio. 

Personally I have never once cared about the amount of likes or dislikes any video I've ever watched has. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 hours ago, Dracarris said:

Here is one out of many reasons why you should care:

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxNLNlw22z275lVNWVi7wXZH5vET0evGoj

I don't agree with that use case. Just because something has a high dislike rating, doesn't mean it's "legit or a garbage waste of time". That's a very poor way to judge something. If anything, YouTube should remove the ability to filter comments. So once again I don't see the point of it's existence.

6 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Just because something has a high dislike rating, doesn't mean it's "legit or a garbage waste of time".

agreed, it could be that it's just wrongly formatted or maybe put differently which could lead to negative ratings. Then again people can be wrong, some could be misunderstandings and so on, like youtube could say, if there is targeted negative response some might be based around the initial view of the video and not it as a whole.

9 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

I don't agree with that use case. Just because something has a high dislike rating, doesn't mean it's "legit or a garbage waste of time".

I don't know in which universe you visit YT but in mine a high dislike rating for tutorial videos or reviews means in 99% exactly that.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:10 PM, TVwazhere said:

I would say independent study is the best way to authenticate any form of media, not a like to dislike ratio. 

Personally I have never once cared about the amount of likes or dislikes any video I've ever watched has. 

"Quickly validating". Likes and dislikes of course aren't a substitute, but can easily be used to sort out a potentially bad video quickly without wasting too much resources watching it to find out if the content is worthwhile or not. It is the same as using reviews to find a new restaurant to eat at instead of going around and trying every one for yourself.

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

• 4 weeks later...