Evga gtx 960 not working on a Asus prime Z370-A

ItalianMiata

Hello, I recently got a EVGA ssc gtx 960 2GB from a friend and I want to use it in my computer which is a i9 9900k and a Asus prime Z370-A (I didn't have a GPU before cuz I didn't need it at the time of the build), but It would not detect at all. I tried to use the onboard video to see if it will detect in the BIOS, and it doesn't show up.

I tried my brothers 1060 and it shows up and displays video. I even tried the 960 in my brothers PC and it works. IDK if there is a BIOS setting or if the card just doesn't like this motherboard. The motherboard is on the latest BIOS and the SLI switch is set to master. Anyone who experienced this issue and knows a fix please let me know. 

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

are you plugging the monitor into the card?

yes even if I force the default video to PCIE it will still use the IGPU. 

25 minutes ago, ItalianMiata said:

Hello, I recently got a EVGA ssc gtx 960 2GB from a friend and I want to use it in my computer which is a i9 9900k and a Asus prime Z370-A (I didn't have a GPU before cuz I didn't need it at the time of the build), but It would not detect at all. I tried to use the onboard video to see if it will detect in the BIOS, and it doesn't show up.

I tried my brothers 1060 and it shows up and displays video. I even tried the 960 in my brothers PC and it works. IDK if there is a BIOS setting or if the card just doesn't like this motherboard. The motherboard is on the latest BIOS and the SLI switch is set to master. Anyone who experienced this issue and knows a fix please let me know. 

Some more information, I tried using the IGPU to see if windows and a linux live usb can detect the GPU when its plugged in and neither of them show the GPU. I tried multiple slots and nothing works.

35 minutes ago, ItalianMiata said:

Some more information, I tried using the IGPU to see if windows and a linux live usb can detect the GPU when its plugged in and neither of them show the GPU. I tried multiple slots and nothing works.

another update, went to the screen where you can set the pcie link speed for the 2 16x ports and it shows up as x0 but if i change it to gen 2 it will show as not present. So it shows up as phantom there some how???

Edit: also tried other slots and nothing 😞

did you update the bios in the last 4 years , many of them mention gpu compatibility

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

did you update the bios in the last 4 years , many of them mention gpu compatibility

I have its on 3004 released on Aug/9/2021