Custom Water Cooled Desk - 56k warning. Lotsa Pictures! *Now with Table of Contents*

PBaines

Here is a quick teaser :)

Should have the rig built by tomorrow! 

Though will have to dismantle it right after because the damn motherboard is dead :( Oh joy more delays...

IMG_7676.jpg

That looks amazing :D. If I am to nitpick I think the orange is not as strong as it should be to match the rest of the rig. Still, looking forward to see the finished product (even if the motherboard is dead :P).

How'd the mobo die???

I just plugged everything back into it after filling loop (which had no leaks I may add) and the little red power button  on the motherboard didn't light up, didn't boot when I pressed it. And didn't boot when I bridged the power_on pins

Tried another PSU too.

Damn... have to strip loop, take block off and send it back for RMA, will probably get it back in two weeks, I JUST WANT TO FINISH THIS BEAST

Isn't 1.3V kind of a lot for only a 4.5 GHz OC?

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

1.3 is a pretty typical limit at 4.5Ghz, not too many systems out there that run 4.5ghz at less than 1.25 - 1.3V

Not 1.2 flat, no way, not ever and that's exactly what I mean.  1.3 is a pretty typical voltage

this is so fantastic, iv got through this at least 5 times over.

it was really weird as i thought about built in desk computer just before this build log opened and when i found it.

when i get my own room, im gunna build my own desk thats really cheap sheet wood and just screw it together basically (got no tools, going to try my best with a dremel), then when i my 'gaming' grade laptop needs replacing im gunna build a desktop (it would be my first build) into the desk somehow.

defo gunna take hints from this desk computer to improve my design, though the component wont be as awesome as im not rich i got a little money i can 'throw away' but not that much.

Just a guy with a beard

this is so fantastic, iv got through this at least 5 times over.

it was really weird as i thought about built in desk computer just before this build log opened and when i found it.

when i get my own room, im gunna build my own desk thats really cheap sheet wood and just screw it together basically (got no tools, going to try my best with a dremel), then when i my 'gaming' grade laptop needs replacing im gunna build a desktop (it would be my first build) into the desk somehow.

defo gunna take hints from this desk computer to improve my design, though the component wont be as awesome as im not rich i got a little money i can 'throw away' but not that much.

5 Times huh? So you're the reason Dropbox emailed me telling me that I am using an extreme amount of bandwidth :P

You won't really get by using a dremel to make a desk. If I were to recommend one tool only, I would say get a jigsaw. It is definitely the tool I have used most on this project, and I use it when modding metal cases too.

You do not need to have "good components" to make an awesome desk, just make it as awesome as you possibly can, and as long as it makes you feel like you've accomplished something then that is all that matters :) 

Fucking awesome build man. I have wanted to put my pc in a desk build for a while now and after watching this build log for a while makes me want to do it even more :D

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

Holy crap, looks rather epic, and also inspired me to clean up my own build! Internet points to you! :D

5 Times huh? So you're the reason Dropbox emailed me telling me that I am using an extreme amount of bandwidth :P

You won't really get by using a dremel to make a desk. If I were to recommend one tool only, I would say get a jigsaw. It is definitely the tool I have used most on this project, and I use it when modding metal cases too.

You do not need to have "good components" to make an awesome desk, just make it as awesome as you possibly can, and as long as it makes you feel like you've accomplished something then that is all that matters :)

aye it must be, i just have to come back and drool over it.

yea i knew a jig would be better, its trying to make do with what i got kinda thing, i could rent one (no one i know has one i could borrow as that woud be the best solution). if i was going to use it more than once i would invest in one. just saw how cheap i could get one, so i will be buying if i cant scrounge one up.

i know i dont need "good components", i just need components that suit my needs/use cases. wish i had enough money to make a custom liquid cool setup (as it looks awesome in desk imo), but ya do with what ya got.

yea i will be making it awesome as i can, and it will be perfect as its suited to my prefrences, not just some generic desk :) half the reason why i like 'crafting' is the feeling after ya finished it and it looks awesome (at least to yourself), i had the best feeling after i finished my college (ages 16-18 in uk) project [fantastic modern style rocking chair].

Just a guy with a beard

You should do an advanced RMA. It would be easier

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

You should do an advanced RMA. It would be easier

Got in touch with the place I bought it from, they can't do a forward replacement till they get the board, which I clearly told them that no matter what they did it was basically fucked lol. It's dead, a 10 second test would prove that

Got in touch with the place I bought it from, they can't do a forward replacement till they get the board, which I clearly told them that no matter what they did it was basically fucked lol. It's dead, a 10 second test would prove that

That's kind of dumb. Lol nothin you could do, It was worth a shot

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I was wondering if I could use your pictures of your build for a school calender project. I need to get permission before using your pictures.  I am not going to be selling this calender, it is just for personal use.

I was wondering if I could use your pictures of your build for a school calender project. I need to get permission before using your pictures.  I am not going to be selling this calender, it is just for personal use.

Hey man I would be more than happy to let you use the photo's :) If you would like I can send you the full size / full res pictures instead?

Hey man I would be more than happy to let you use the photo's :) If you would like I can send you the full size / full res pictures instead?

Sure, that would be great. Thanks a lot!

Right, I got some snaps before I got to send my motherboard away, hope you enjoy the few there are 

So for my coolant, I will be using tap water. But not town water, since I live in the country I get proper rain water. But to ensure that there is no bacteria I boiled my water first with the jug

IMG_7666.jpg

Water goes in this bowel, and sits in the fridge for half an hour to cool down

IMG_7668.jpg

Time to mix my coolant! 750ml of water, 250ml of Concentrate Orange Pastel

IMG_7669.jpg

Funnel it into my squeezy bottle for filling up my loop

IMG_7670.jpg

Then fill the loop up, do some bleeding and think that I need to add some yellow dye next time around to give it a more richer orange look so it matches with the build more :)

IMG_7676.jpg

IMG_7678.jpg

IMG_7680.jpg

IMG_7681.jpg

Now lets hope that I get my motherboard back quickly so I can finish this damn project!