PSU with fan facing downward

outremer

Hi all!

Would you recommend an Rm/x 750 if I intend to use it in a downward facing position? My concern is heat, as it doesn't have an eco switch button.

Thanks in advance!

Outremer     

There are a few different trains of thought on this. You can face it downward so it has its own air supply, or you can have it face upward and be part of the exhaust of the case. Either way are fine and some will argue one way over the other. I personally have mine facing up as part of exhaust in my Meshify S2. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

That depends on your case and where the PC is going to be sitting. 

Some cases don't have much clearance for air intake on the bottom and if it's going to be sitting on carpet, it's not the best idea. 

Make sure your case has a vent below the PSU if you face it downward.  It will overheat and shut down if it is trying to pull air from the bottom of the case with no vent.

If your case has vents at the bottom where the PSU goes then point the fan down, if not then up.

RMx fans don't spin often unless under very high load, if your system doesn't use much power it really doesn't matter where the fan goes (I still recommend what I first said)

1 hour ago, outremer said:

Hi all!

Would you recommend an Rm/x 750 if I intend to use it in a downward facing position? My concern is heat, as it doesn't have an eco switch button.

Why?  Trying to understand the logic here.

If the fan is controlled by temperature and/or load, then why would you worry about the PSU overheating if the PSU is going to spin the fan faster depending on how hot the PSU gets?

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why?  Trying to understand the logic here.

If the fan is controlled by temperature and/or load, then why would you worry about the PSU overheating if the PSU is going to spin the fan faster depending on how hot the PSU gets?

My fear is that the fan curve would be too lax. I try to play it safe.

54 minutes ago, outremer said:

My fear is that the fan curve would be too lax. I try to play it safe.

Why? Why would you assume this?  Do you think the fan controller is programmed by a bunch of monkeys?  LOL!

If the PSU gets to hot, the fan ramps up.  If the fan can't ramp up enough to cool the PSU, the PSU shuts off (OTP: Over Temperature Protection).  Nobody in the history of the universe has ever had a problem with a RMx overheating.