I can play video at whichever is your screen refresh rate

Phyrix

Consider this a freeby for those who dont know.

Waaay back in 2008 I was watching a movie with mpc and then saw the frame rate was just awfull

So I opened the same movie in windows media player

Yes it has worked for this long, and I can show you

Windows media player actually plays video at whichever is your screen refresh rate

How it does it I dont know how, but it has worked for me for years, I have always downloaded mpc aka klite codec pack and used wmp as default player for videos merely so I can watch movies at the refresh rate of my screen.

I might be purchasing a 240hz alienware screen for xmas <- wish me luck

but please look at this screenshot with fraps running in the top left corner

484270510_ScreenShot11-29-21at06_56PM.thumb.PNG.aa2f551ad86614bf3ce056e86edcf8f8.PNG

And yes would love your feedback on how wmp does it and if it gives you some level of visual fidelity you did not have before

Try Smooth Video Project 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1.TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

I would imagine that is the FPS of the overlay (the pause and scrubber) and not the video itself.

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

It's not playing the videos at a higher framerate. If it's displaying a higher framerate, that's either frame duplication or the framerate of the interface. There are no extra frames to play in your video files, so for it to actually be a higher framerate it would have to be doing real time interpolation, and at time of writing even the most advanced interpolation looks janky and weird sometimes, so how would 2008 software be doing it without you noticing?

Edited by BobVonBob

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

While a 120Hz TV doesn't inherently produce better motion, it can provide a few advantages over standard 60Hz TVs. One of the most important advantages is the ability to play back content that is meant to be displayed at 24 fps, which is often found in movies. Most TVs can simply lower their own refresh rate to 24Hz when the content is 24 fps, but some sources, such as Chromecast, output video at 60 fps, even if the content is 24 fps. This means that the TV's refresh rate remains at 60Hz, and motion won't appear smooth, which is an effect called judder. A 60Hz TV has trouble removing 24 fps judder because 60 isn't a multiple of 24. To display this type of content, a technique known as a "3:2 pulldown" is used. Basically, 12 of the 24 frames repeat three times, while the other 12 repeat twice, totaling 60 frames. Not everybody notices this, but it causes some scenes, notably panning shots, to appear juddery. However, 120Hz TVs have an advantage here because they can simply display each frame five times since 120 is a multiple of 24.

And considering i want to run a 240 hz screen I will be getting 10 times 24

31 minutes ago, Phyrix said:

Windows media player actually plays video at whichever is your screen refresh rate

No.

This is windows media player UI that fraps is seeing NOT the actual video framerate that is set in stone and will not increase magically.

1 minute ago, Phyrix said:

While a 120Hz TV doesn't inherently produce better motion, it can provide a few advantages over standard 60Hz TVs. One of the most important advantages is the ability to play back content that is meant to be displayed at 24 fps, which is often found in movies. Most TVs can simply lower their own refresh rate to 24Hz when the content is 24 fps, but some sources, such as Chromecast, output video at 60 fps, even if the content is 24 fps. This means that the TV's refresh rate remains at 60Hz, and motion won't appear smooth, which is an effect called judder. A 60Hz TV has trouble removing 24 fps judder because 60 isn't a multiple of 24. To display this type of content, a technique known as a "3:2 pulldown" is used. Basically, 12 of the 24 frames repeat three times, while the other 12 repeat twice, totaling 60 frames. Not everybody notices this, but it causes some scenes, notably panning shots, to appear juddery. However, 120Hz TVs have an advantage here because they can simply display each frame five times since 120 is a multiple of 24.

Again no. The tv doesn't lower it's refresh rate it just stays at whatever it's at.

At best the tv starts doing some processing to smooth motion or whatever. This is what creates those weird smudgy odd feeling smoothness.

You are confusing many different things into one.

9 minutes ago, Phyrix said:

And considering i want to run a 240 hz screen I will be getting 10 times 24

When you're going to quote someone else's words, please use quotations and include your source. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what-is-the-refresh-rate-60hz-vs-120hz

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

I find the best way to avoid judder is just to enable "match display refresh" or whatever the setting is. 

49 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No.

This is windows media player UI that fraps is seeing NOT the actual video framerate that is set in stone and will not increase magically.

Have you tried this? I mean have you tried playing video in wmp and then another player?

48 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Again no. The tv doesn't lower it's refresh rate it just stays at whatever it's at.

At best the tv starts doing some processing to smooth motion or whatever. This is what creates those weird smudgy odd feeling smoothness.

You are confusing many different things into one.

Nope I am not, video rendered @ vs video played @ vs video recorded @ is all different things

Let me explain if a 24 fps video is played at 24hz no matter the technology you will notice the frames

If you watch 24 fps video at 60hz and the frame buffer of the video is heightened it creates motion duplicates so to speak, which is like in that phrasing I posted will cause judder,

even though if you push your refresh rate to 75hz you will not get judder on a 24fps video, thats the same as watching a 30fps video at 60hz and "boosted to 60fps"

Depending on the quality of the video yes you will get smudges, but if your video resolution is high enough for example 4k content at 120 hz on a 4k display then well, the smooth motion is emulated so to speak and there will be no artifacts.

You are not making the video "captured at higher frames" , you are copying frames which results in a smoother image.

Like in gaming you get more frames with higher refresh rate, those copied frames from video can deliver a similar effect, either way it would be interesting is someone actually did an in depth test on it.

52 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

When you're going to quote someone else's words, please use quotations and include your source. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/what-is-the-refresh-rate-60hz-vs-120hz

yy bad on my side, I should have quoted, with a link. I was being lazy ok xD

Apologies :3

38 minutes ago, Phyrix said:

Have you tried this? I mean have you tried playing video in wmp and then another player?

Yes it's the same video.

What you are talking about is a smoothing effect that isn't normally on.

This judder you talk about is fixed by motion blur aka what is in movies already. Sure pause and lock techniques can happen.

56 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Yes it's the same video.

What you are talking about is a smoothing effect that isn't normally on.

This judder you talk about is fixed by motion blur aka what is in movies already. Sure pause and lock techniques can happen.

Well either way when comparing video I see a noticeable difference, however it might be due to the fact that I was able to see screen flicker at 85hz with the naked eye back in the days of crt.

Actually on some bad screens I still see flicker even with led nowadays, albeit not quite as much or easily as it was with crt