AIO CPU Cooler in Fractal Design Node 202... Using GPU Fans for Ventilation.

AverageJoe1135

I built a PC earlier this year (parts list below) and it has been an awesome little machine used exclusively for gaming. I did a mod on the case that opens up the GPU Section of the Node 202 Case allowing my RTX 3070 GPU to suck air in from one side of the case and expel it out the other (See Images attached). I have great GPU Temps because of this mod never exceeding 75 degrees. Usually they sit more in the high 60's  (66 - 68). I also was able to fit two full size fans in the GPU section of my Node 202 case. What I have been thinking about doing is taking the two fans out and adding a low profile AIO CPU Cooler. I have enough space that I could fit the tubes through the case as needed, my only worry is that the GPU fans would then be sandwiched between the CPU AIO rad and the GPU rad. I am not sure if this would provide enough airflow to cool both CPU and GPU. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of mod? Would the GPU fans be able to cool both CPU and GPU sufficiently and do so without wrecking my GPU fans? Would I be better off just getting a CPU airflow duct or shroud to pull in cooler air from outside the case? 

Parts List:

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X

CPU Cooler - Noctua Low-Profile Quiet CPU Cooler for AMD Based Retail Cooling NH-L9A 

GPU - RTX 3070 FE (Not shown in pictures, GPU in photo is a GTX 1030 I was using as a placeholder while I fixed a riser cable issue)

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM, 80 Plus Gold

MoBo - GIGABYTE B550I AORUS PRO AX (AM4 AMD/B550/Mini-Itx

Case - Fractal Design Node 202 Black Slim Profile Mini-ITX

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V

Storage - 1TB M.2

63398041848__B24C382D-7BF9-4C7F-A051-34E530BEE10F.jpg

IMG_1567.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

The rad on its own would be restrictive enough to raise gpu temps even without the heat from the cpu. I'm not sure how much it would be but I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 82c with higher fan rpm. 

It's an interesting idea that would probably work well if case fans were mounted outside of the case for the rad. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The rad on its own would be restrictive enough to raise gpu temps even without the heat from the cpu. I'm not sure how much it would be but I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 82c with higher fan rpm. 

It's an interesting idea that would probably work well if case fans were mounted outside of the case for the rad. 

So the case fans outside the Case pushing air through the AIO. The air would then the air would be pulled through the GPU and expelled partly though the Side of the case and partly out the back of the case. Not gunna lie I am intrigued… It wouldn’t be the best setup but I could also use low profile fans to keep the bulk down. 

3070FE should exhaust all of its heat if you just make a hole on the other side too. Front fan then blows nicely through the case and the other fan exhausts at back.

I would also consider modding the cpu fan to exhaust too. Swap a thicker fan to that heatsink and use some sort of collar to force the air out.