Did my PC just die?

likeaboz2002

well fuck...

My PC occasionally does this thing where it will turn on after a restart/shutdown and just not output anything to the monitors. A hard shutdown (5 second power button press) and then turning off the PSU while it's shutdown for a minute or so and then powering on again usually fixes the problem. If not, clearing the CMOS using jumper pins fixes it too. I get back from my thanksgiving break today, turn on the PC, and the usual nonsense happens. I do the PSU thing, still doesn't work, so I jump the CMOS pins and then press the power button. The lights and fans all come on for about 5 seconds, then I hear an audible click and everything shuts off. Now it won't power on at all. How fucked am I? What can I try and do?

Whats your system specs? You could try to test the PSU, by just shorting 2 pins on the ATX 24PIN connector. 

PSU Paper Clip Test – gpuShack
Disconnect all the cables from your PSU. Plug it into your outlet. 

17 minutes ago, iCypticx said:

Whats your system specs? You could try to test the PSU, by just shorting 2 pins on the ATX 24PIN connector. 

PSU Paper Clip Test – gpuShack
Disconnect all the other cables from your PSU. Plug it into your outlet. 

ryzen 5 3600x

asrock B550M itx

16gb geil RGB ram

EVGA 600BQ

RX5600XT

4TB WD HDD

I unplugged everything from the PSU and jumped the pins using a small breadboard wire and got nothing. PSU's dead then, is there any way to test if it took the other components with it? Is this a thing that happens?

1 minute ago, likeaboz2002 said:

ryzen 5 3600x

asrock B550M itx

16gb geil RGB ram

EVGA 600BQ

RX5600XT

4TB WD HDD

I jumped the pins using a small breadboard wire and got nothing. PSU's dead then, is there any way to test if it took the other components with it? Is this a thing that happens?

Ha, the ole BBQ. Yea PSU was most likely the issue, make sure you had the Switch on when testing. 

Testing your other components would need a new PSU,  even then your mainboard could be something that's worth taking a look. 

When i try to plug in a case fan, the same thing happens. i hear a click and then it turn off and on. The CMOS Battery has been causing problems, take it out for 30 seconds and then put it back in with the power off. If it turns on and boots you back to BIOS, It worked 🙂

Just now, iCypticx said:

Ha, the ole BBQ. Yea PSU was most likely the issue, make sure you had the Switch on when testing. 

Testing your other components would need a new PSU,  even then your mainboard could be something that's worth taking a look. 

Yeah, I flipped the PSU switch a couple times while testing just in case. I guess an impromptu microcenter trip is in order. Hopefully they have some good deals today. Let's just pray the GPU isn't dead...

Just now, likeaboz2002 said:

Yeah, I flipped the PSU switch a couple times while testing just in case. I guess an impromptu microcenter trip is in order. Hopefully they have some good deals today. Let's just pray the GPU isn't dead...

What Microcenter are you near? I could look at some good options. We don't want a Powerspec unit now do we kek

Just now, iCypticx said:

What Microcenter are you near? I could look at some good options. We don't want a Powerspec unit now do we kek

Denver microcenter, and definitely not! What's their return policy like? I believe my PSU is still under warranty so I might get one to test component functionality and return it if I can get a replacement from EVGA

4 minutes ago, likeaboz2002 said:

Denver microcenter, and definitely not! What's their return policy like? I believe my PSU is still under warranty so I might get one to test component functionality and return it if I can get a replacement from EVGA

Microcenter has an exchange policy on PSU's within 30 days of purchase if I recall correctly. Could just contact their support team as well.
AGF 850W is a solid unit. Had to look around a little bit, Microcenter PSU inventory is full of crap. 
Also found it for 650W would definitely recommend this unit.