RTX 3090 TI to use GDDR6X memory, approaches HBM2 bandwidth

da na

Summary

Nvidia's RTX 3090 TI is rumored to feature 21 GPBS GDDR6X memory when it launches. According to TechPowerUp this "maxes out the 384-bit bus width of GA102" at a 7.7% memory transfer rate increase over the 3090, making it the fastest memory on any team green card with 1,008 GB/s of bandwidth. Award for fastest gaming GPU memory still goes to the Radeon VII's HBM2, which achieves 1,024 GB/s.

Additionally, all 84 stream processors will be enabled in the 3090 TI.

NVIDIA's upcoming flagship graphics card, the GeForce RTX 3090 Ti (also known as RTX 3090 SUPER in some rumor circles); could feature the company's fastest memory solution for GeForce, according to a Uniko's Hardware report. The card maxes out not just the 384-bit bus width of the "GA102" silicon, but also uses Micron-sourced "MT61K512M32KPA-21U" GDDR6X memory chips, which are rated for 21 Gbps date-rates.

My thoughts

It's incredible that normal GDDR memory is starting to near the bandwidth of HBM2. However, this will make it quite expensive, posing again the question of who this card is for. It'll likely be too expensive to appeal to 99% of gamers but most creative professionals will still want to go with an RTX A6000 for their workflows.

Sources

https://www.techpowerup.com/289430/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-ti-to-feature-21-gbps-gddr6x-memory

i mean they (ltt) just did that video on the mining card that had something like 1.5 GB/sec memory speed, no? so that would still be faster by quite a bit

Just now, jwwagner25 said:

i mean they (ltt) just did that video on the mining card that had something like 1.5 GB/sec memory speed, no? so that would still be faster by quite a bit

Yes but that's a whole different category of cards. Many of Nvidia's mining/compute cards don't even support DirectX

Don’t all the cards 3070ti and up have g6x? 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

21GB? 21GB?! 21GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????

Edited by Spotty

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Great, just what we need. More overly expensive graphics cards that nobody will be able to buy. I really have to ask why this even exists. Was the 3090 not fast enough? Does this really offer significant improvements over the existing 3090 to justify a 3090Ti card?

Just now, jwwagner25 said:

That had HBM2 memory, but yeah it would be faster memory than the Radeon VII. Maybe they meant the fastest memory on a gaming class card, though calling Radeon VII a gaming card is a bit of a stretch since it was really just a workstation card sold as a gaming card to fill a gaping void until Navi was released.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

He's talking about speed and not about capacity 

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Great, just what we need. More overly expensive graphics cards that nobody will be able to buy. I really have to ask why this even exists. Was the 3090 not fast enough? Does this really offer significant improvements over the existing 3090 to justify a 3090Ti card?

If all it is is enabling some shaders and clocking it up a bit and using 8% faster memory... what's even the point?

14 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

21 Gbps. It's the speed, not the capacity. Maybe read?

13 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I'd venture a guess - they have a surplus of top end chips (because nobody can afford them at current market price) and instead of underselling them as 3090s they decided to release this. They probably figure there will always be a niche of idiots Gamers who will splurge whatever it takes for the bragging rights of having the fastest gAmInG graphics card on the market and a "healthy" number of scalpers who will immediately buy any stock they put out.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I wonder how they have redesigned the GDDR6X memory itself, to be able to run properly at 21 Gbps. 

Most GDDR6X chips out in the wild today can easily do 21 Gbps but at a performance loss because of the error correcting happening on the run, because the 21 Gbps actually is unstable. 

My own 3080 Ti starts losing performance at around +750 MHz

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

21 Gbps. It's the speed, not the capacity. Maybe read?

I'd venture a guess - they have a surplus of top end chips (because nobody can afford them at current market price) and instead of underselling them as 3090s they decided to release this. They probably figure there will always be a niche of idiots Gamers who will splurge whatever it takes for the bragging rights of having the fastest gAmInG graphics card on the market and a "healthy" number of scalpers who will immediately buy any stock they put out.

I finished school last thursday so still not really mastered reading. But yes, I overlooked the ps. How silly of me.

But yes, totally agreed. The 3090 Ti is senseless. Not only senseless, it just has no purpose because games these days are full of bullshit bugs, performance issues and are also badly optimized which makes them worthless. The only one single purpose to have such card is...proving how stupid the gamers are. Like really really fucking stupid.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

2 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Most GDDR6X chips out in the wild today can easily do 21 Gbps but at a performance loss because of the error correcting happening on the run, because the 21 Gbps actually is unstable. 

My own 3080 Ti starts losing performance at around +750 MHz

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of error correction going on.

I don't expect it to be full ECC memory from the latency that can introduce, they most likely have some sort of software solution to compensate.

Just now, CTR640 said:

But yes, totally agreed. The 3090 Ti is senseless. Not only senseless, it just has no purpose because games these days are full of bullshit bugs, performance issues and are also badly optimized which makes them worthless. The only one single purpose to have such card is...proving how stupid the gamers are. Like really really fucking stupid.

Well... I'll agree with you on the card not really having a place. I somewhat disagree with your statement on games, yes most are terribly optimized bs by huge corporations trying to squeeze every last penny out of people who buy their rerelease of the same game every year, but not all.

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well... I'll agree with you on the card not really having a place. I somewhat disagree with your statement on games, yes most are terribly optimized bs by huge corporations trying to squeeze every last penny out of people who buy their rerelease of the same game every year, but not all.

I know not all games are bugged. Unfortunately it's the trend to release unfinished games and it's usually the ones that have the so called "AAA" stat. I'm concerned about GTA6 but seeing how stupidly disrespectful T2 and R* have become, I won't be surprised at all what kind of a mess it will be.

DAC/AMPs:

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

well-actually-5cb396.jpg

image.thumb.png.88c040ed9bf99ef5685dbc1d5022d4a0.png

Well its a compute card so no sht why they have hbm2 on it, but god damn that is fast, i wonder what would happen if you were to overclock those vrams

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Well its a compute card so no sht why they have hbm2 on it, but god damn that is fast, i wonder what would happen if you were to overclock those vrams

You really can't, downside to HBM (at least right now) is they pretty much only clock up to their rated speed and that's their hard limit.

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

making it the fastest memory on any team green card with 1,008 GB/s of bandwidth. Award for fastest GPU memory still goes to the Radeon VII's HBM2, which achieves 1,024 GB/s.

Regarding the comment about the Radeon VII having the fastest memory; the techpowerup article linked in OP is only counting "client-segment graphics cards" when they say the Radeon VII is the fastest.

The title of the highest memory bandwidth on a client-segment graphics card would still go to the Radeon VII, which uses 4096-bit HBM2 to achieve 1024 GB/s.

Seems like a weird thing to write, but I guess if you take "client segment graphics cards" to mean GeForce/Radeon cards, excluding all the workstation and compute cards, then yeah I suppose it's true.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Regarding the comment about the Radeon VII having the fastest memory; the techpowerup article linked in OP is only counting "client-segment graphics cards" when they say the Radeon VII is the fastest.

Seems like a weird thing to write, but I guess if you take "client segment graphics cards" to mean GeForce/Radeon cards, excluding all the workstation and compute cards, then yeah I suppose it's true.

Edited the original post to be more clear. Yes there are faster memory cards but gamers wouldn't care about or buy those workstation, server, compute, and mining cards. 

3090 has been the most available consumer Ampere card since launch. Maybe because of its price. 3090 Ti going above that is certainly going into unprecedented pricing territory for a consumer offering, but it will probably sell. On current Steam Hardware Survey, 3090 sits at 0.43%. For context, the only current gen AMD (RDNA2) device listed is the 6700 XT at 0.17%. Presumably the rest of AMDs offerings are so insignificant they have to be hidden in the "other" category. Nvidia certainly are not short of buyers, even if most here are not in the market for a 3090 Ti.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

*fastest "gaming" card, should've been more clear

Nah, I was just being an ass 😉

It's not like anyone really cares about GPUs with zero DirectX support around here lol

This 3090 Ti is still wicked fast memory bandwidth regardless, V100 was 900 GB/s and P100 was 720 GB/s both using HBM2 so GDDR6X has come a really long way.

Just now, porina said:

3090 has been the most available consumer Ampere card since launch. Maybe because of its price. 3090 Ti going above that is certainly going into unprecedented pricing territory for a consumer offering, but it will probably sell. On current Steam Hardware Survey, 3090 sits at 0.43%. For context, the only current gen AMD (RDNA2) device listed is the 6700 XT at 0.17%. Presumably the rest of AMDs offerings are so insignificant they have to be hidden in the "other" category. Nvidia certainly are not short of buyers, even if most here are not in the market for a 3090 Ti.

I've used both Nvidia and AMD cards (granted, furthest I've gotten with each is 900 series and Polaris) but honestly I prefer Nvidia cards (especially Quadro) when it comes to drivers, support, and features.

So, seeing as the 3090 HAS GDDR6X, it would've been concerning if the 3090ti (if it even exists) does NOT come with GDDR6X or HBM2(/3)

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.