PSU Fans running quite loud

bdexter77

I have a Corsair CX750M, that I did get second hand, and the fans are ramping up to be the loudest part of my system recently. Its running a 3070ti and a 3700x neither are overclocked. Anytime a load is being applied to it it gets very loud. I keep my computer on my desk, the PSU filter is clean, ive inspected it for dust inside and shot it with compressed air can and its clean as well and ive never had any power delivery issues or shut downs ever while gaming. My case has great airflow too. I ran two Heaven benchmarks back to back and neither the exhaust or the sides of the PSUs feel remotely warm, actually the air coming from its exhaust felt cool. Is it possible there is a faulty temperature sensor in the PSU and the fans are inaccurately being ran? At least there are some good black friday deals going on right now. 

Just now, bdexter77 said:

I have a Corsair CX750M, that I did get second hand, and the fans are ramping up to be the loudest part of my system recently. Its running a 3070ti and a 3700x neither are overclocked. Anytime a load is being applied to it it gets very loud. I keep my computer on my desk, the PSU filter is clean, ive inspected it for dust inside and shot it with compressed air can and its clean as well and ive never had any power delivery issues or shut downs ever while gaming. My case has great airflow too. I ran two Heaven benchmarks back to back and neither the exhaust or the sides of the PSUs feel remotely warm, actually the air coming from its exhaust felt cool. Is it possible there is a faulty temperature sensor in the PSU and the fans are inaccurately being ran? At least there are some good black friday deals going on right now. 

Note* Ive isolated the sound by bringing my case and gpu fans up to a constant rpm before launching anything, and after I start a game it definitely is the PSU making all the racket.

Of course it's loud.  You're using a group regulated PSU with a high end graphics card.

Why did you get a second hand, lower end PSU when you have a GPU that's over $1000?

3 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Of course it's loud.  You're using a group regulated PSU with a high end graphics card.

Why did you get a second hand, lower end PSU when you have a GPU that's over $1000?

First I think its fair to say many people including myself dont even know what group regulation means so no need to be condescending? Also pardon me for not considering a 120$ (at the time it was cause i looked it up) corsair psu product as "low end" be helpful not rude? I got it from my brother not from a bin behind best buy? Next time ill be sure to get a 40$ roswill 1200W. 

Don't mean to be condescending or rude, but it's terribly unfortunate how so people refuse to do any research on power supplies and understand why a 750W PSU can range anywhere from $50 to $200. 

There's a "tier list" at the top of this subforum that's a really good place to start and the Google spreadsheet linked within is really informative.

In addition to the high end graphics card, do you have a lot of RGB going on too?  Like RGB fans, lighting strips, etc.?

Also, how old is this CX750M?  They use sleeve bearing fans that don't tend to last very long.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Don't mean to be condescending or rude, but it's terribly unfortunate how so people refuse to do any research on power supplies and understand why a 750W PSU can range anywhere from $50 to $200. 

There's a "tier list" at the top of this subforum that's a really good place to start and the Google spreadsheet linked within is really informative.

In addition to the high end graphics card, do you have a lot of RGB going on too?  Like RGB fans, lighting strips, etc.?

No just the RBG on the gpu and one strip in the case. I have 4 140mm fans and 1 120mm fan. I got it used cheap from family and replaced my EVGA 500W 80 plus white i had for my 1660 super and 2600x so its certainly better than that thing was. Uh probably 4 years or so sounds about right he got it with his first pc i think. Tier list is very helpful though thank you. 

2 minutes ago, bdexter77 said:

No just the RBG on the gpu and one strip in the case. I have 4 140mm fans and 1 120mm fan. I got it used cheap from family and replaced my EVGA 500W 80 plus white i had for my 1660 super and 2600x so its certainly better than that thing was. Tier list is very helpful though thank you. 

How old is it?

What color are the labels on the sides?  If the "CX" is in green, it's pretty old (at least five years). 

What case are you using?  How is the PSU mounted in that case (fan up or fan down)?  Given the comment about the "clean fan filter", I'm thinking fan down.  If that's the case, try fan up.  Bronze efficiency PSUs generate more heat than Gold, Platinum, etc.  With the PSU fan down, the heat generated by the PSU rises into the PCB where the thermistor is located.  If you mount it fan up, the heat will rise away from the PCB and the fan won't spin as fast.  

Yea its green. I have a corsair 4000D airflow and it intakes from underneath 

Truthfully after knowing its a lower end product and its age Im probably just going to replace it before something bad happens

On 11/28/2021 at 5:46 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Kid you not three or four days ago was having blue screen crashes when under load, replaced it with a new RM850x an hour ago and fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out