Motherboard lights up but no boot.

MagnumSkyWolf

My new build seems to be not working the motherboard RGB panel light up but no boot when I press the power button. Fans don't spin or even light up not even the lian li cables only the motherboard. Ram also won't light up. 

What I've done

I hooked up the lian li rgb cables I decided to see if it boots and nothing. I plugged in the regular 24pin and the two 8pin and pressed the power button and nothing happened. The gpu was in its slot without power not sure if that makes a difference. The Kraken shows some sort of face then turns off. I tried the screwdriver boot method and still no response. It made a strange noise once had to describe but still nothing. I then unplugged all the drives rgb headers etc and still the same. 

Samsung 980 PRO M.2  1 TB
CableMod Classic ModMesh C-Series Cable Kit Corsair 

Lian Li Strimer Plus 24-Pin 
Lian Li Strimer Plus Triple 8-Pin
Lian Li UNI FAN SL120 RGB 
ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A 
NZXT Kraken Z73 320m
Lian Li O11Dynamic XL
G.Skill Trident Z Neo, DDR4-3600, CL16 - 64 GB Quad-Kit

Intel Core i9-12900K 3,20 GHz (Alder Lake-S) Sockel 1700

These parts are from my old pc

Corsair 850w platinum psu

MSI 3080ti suprim x. 

Western digital 1tb m.2

6tb seagate. 

I was gaming two nights ago with them. 

Can you post a picture of the inside of the PC, showing as many of the cables connections as possible, and of the back of the PC?

Is the CableMod cable kit new? Which specific PSU do you have and is the cable kit the Yellow or Black label set?

1 minute ago, MagnumSkyWolf said:

Black label set and yes the kit is new. At the moment I have the whole system stripped apart cable wise so I'll upload a few pictures tomorrow as it's nearly 11pm here. 

Okay, but which specific PSU model?

I'd try using the stock cables quickly to see if the cables may be the problem. You mentioned the GPU wasn't plugged into power, did you ever try with it plugged in? If not, either try without it in the PCIe slot or plug in the power cables. 

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Okay, but which specific PSU model?

I'd try using the stock cables quickly to see if the cables may be the problem. You mentioned the GPU wasn't plugged into power, did you ever try with it plugged in? If not, either try without it in the PCIe slot or plug in the power cables. 

No I haven't tried it with power yet just got frustrated it didn't even cross my mind. Sorry working 12 hour shifts didn't even think about that just got feed up

This is my kit

https://www.caseking.de/CableMod-Classic-ModMesh-C-Series-Cable-Kit-Corsair-AXi-HXi-und-RM-schwarz-ZUAD-1010.html?tplview=mobile

Just now, MagnumSkyWolf said:

No I haven't tried it with power yet just got frustrated it didn't even cross my mind. Sorry working 12 hour shifts didn't even think about that. 

This is my kit

https://www.caseking.de/CableMod-Classic-ModMesh-C-Series-Cable-Kit-Corsair-AXi-HXi-und-RM-schwarz-ZUAD-1010.html?tplview=mobile

Easiest to just try without the GPU at all. 

I'm asking about the actual PSU, which model is it? You've only said Corsair 850w platinum. 

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Easiest to just try without the GPU at all. 

I'm asking about the actual PSU, which model is it? You've only said Corsair 850w platinum. 

Corsair HX850 Fully Modular 80PLUS Platinum. If it still doesn't boot without gpu any other advice. 

Thanks by the way for helping me out. Sort of freaked at the moment 

2 minutes ago, MagnumSkyWolf said:

Corsair HX850 Fully Modular 80PLUS Platinum. If it still doesn't boot without gpu any other advice. 

Thanks by the way for helping me out. Sort of freaked at the moment 

Okay, so the cable kit you have is not compatible with your PSU (unless you have the HXi model not the HX). It's a really subtle difference but important. 

So the kit you have (CM-CSI-CKIT-NKK-R) is compatible with the HXi (this is the RM yellow label kit BTW)

image.png.1160f43e6fff476884d3d59f433ec296.png

But the kit you need is CM-CSR-CKIT-NKK-R, which is the RM Black label kit.

image.png.b9c0632a7a8cf64c336ba8031f78fd9c.png

On the site you linked to, this is the one you'd need: https://www.caseking.de/CableMod-Classic-ModMesh-C-Series-Cable-Kit-Corsair-RMi-und-RMx-schwarz-ZUAD-1018.html?tplview=desktop

So first thing to do is use the PSU's stock cables and see if it works. If it does, return the cable kit (this is assuming you have the HX and not HXi model) and replace it with the correct one. 

CableMod's compatibility list, it can be a bit confusing: https://cablemod.com/compatibility/

13 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Okay, so the cable kit you have is not compatible with your PSU (unless you have the HXi model not the HX). It's a really subtle difference but important. 

So the kit you have (CM-CSI-CKIT-NKK-R) is compatible with the HXi (this is the RM yellow label kit BTW)

image.png.1160f43e6fff476884d3d59f433ec296.png

But the kit you need is CM-CSR-CKIT-NKK-R, which is the RM Black label kit.

image.png.b9c0632a7a8cf64c336ba8031f78fd9c.png

On the site you linked to, this is the one you'd need: https://www.caseking.de/CableMod-Classic-ModMesh-C-Series-Cable-Kit-Corsair-RMi-und-RMx-schwarz-ZUAD-1018.html?tplview=desktop

So first thing to do is use the PSU's stock cables and see if it works. If it does, return the cable kit (this is assuming you have the HX and not HXi model) and replace it with the correct one. 

CableMod's compatibility list, it can be a bit confusing: https://cablemod.com/compatibility/

Wow that could possibly be it. Interesting how the fit but don't work. I'm was missing cables from my old psu like another 8 pin because these new boards need two

Also my gpu needs 3 pci cables and I had one from a different kit which worked so I said let's just buy a whole bunch of cables. Again thanks so so much 

4 minutes ago, MagnumSkyWolf said:

Wow that could possibly be it. Interesting how the fit but don't work. I'm was missing cables from my old psu like another 8 pin because these new boards need two

Also my gpu needs 3 pci cables and I had one from a different kit which worked so I said let's just buy a whole bunch of cables. 

Generally, you only need one of the 8pin CPU power cables to actually run the system, the second is for extra power/stability when overclocking. 

Some of the cables may work and some won't. I'm not 100% on the differences between them, but it's most likely just a different pin-out on some of the cables. It doesn't make sense for Corsair to make different connectors for each PSU, so while cables from different PSUs will fit, they aren't necessarily compatible. 

7 minutes ago, MagnumSkyWolf said:

Interesting how the fit but don't work.

They fit because they're the same connectors. It's the same on the GPU side electrically. It's different on the power supply. Corsair Type 3 vs Type 4. Luckily type 3 and 4 are the same except the 24 pin motherboard connector. Try using the 24 pin that came with your PSU for the motherboard.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.535a680af9cf1f02c83cba72814f077c.png

7 minutes ago, MagnumSkyWolf said:

Also my gpu needs 3 pci cables and I had one from a different kit

Don't mix and match PSU cables. As you've seen they can fit, but not work. 

Edited by IkeaGnome
Added type 3 and type 4 pinouts

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

They fit because they're the same connectors. It's the same on the GPU side electrically. It's different on the power supply. Corsair Type 3 vs Type 4. Luckily type 3 and 4 are the same except the 24 pin motherboard connector. Try using the 24 pin that came with your PSU for the motherboard.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Don't mix and match PSU cables. As you've seen they can fit, but not work. 

Well the GPU has been working since September since I mixed a cable but you're obviously right not a very good idea. 

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Generally, you only need one of the 8pin CPU power cables to actually run the system, the second is for extra power/stability when overclocking. 

Some of the cables may work and some won't. I'm not 100% on the differences between them, but it's most likely just a different pin-out on some of the cables. It doesn't make sense for Corsair to make different connectors for each PSU, so while cables from different PSUs will fit, they aren't necessarily compatible. 

I thought it needed two the whole time man I'm stupid. Last pc I built was the start of 2017 so all this stuff is new to me thought it would be easy like before. 

Thanks to both of you for giving me an extra boost in confidence honestly. Sort of given up didn't really think clearly.

3 minutes ago, MagnumSkyWolf said:

Thanks to both of you for giving me an extra boost in confidence honestly. Sort of given up didn't really think clearly.

I might have missed it in there somewhere, but I'm assuming you got your computer working again?

3 minutes ago, MagnumSkyWolf said:

I thought it needed two the whole time

Depending on what you're doing, it kind of does. Ignoring the 508W power spikes that I think got fixed with updates to Ampere, that card draws a max of 390W. Your PCIE slot will deliver up to 75W, and each PCIE cable will deliver up to 150. Low loads it'll work just fine. If you have weird crashes under load, I'd look back into this. Ideally, all 3 PCIE connectors on the GPU would have their own cable going to the power supply. That would allow for up to 425W and leave some headroom. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-suprim-x/34.html

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

Depending on what you're doing, it kind of does. Ignoring the 508W power spikes that I think got fixed with updates to Ampere, that card draws a max of 390W. Your PCIE slot will deliver up to 75W, and each PCIE cable will deliver up to 150. 

He means the CPU 8 pins. AFAIK the GPU won't run at all without all of the PCIes plugged in. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

He means the CPU 8 pins. AFAIK the GPU won't run at all without all of the PCIes plugged in. 

Ah shoot. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I might have missed it in there somewhere, but I'm assuming you got your computer working again?

Depending on what you're doing, it kind of does. Ignoring the 508W power spikes that I think got fixed with updates to Ampere, that card draws a max of 390W. Your PCIE slot will deliver up to 75W, and each PCIE cable will deliver up to 150. 

I haven't tried anything yet I'll try in the morning nearly 12am here don't want to wake the house lol but I'm gathering ideas from you both. Just saying thanks for replying is all.