Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will My M.2 gen4 slot work when using 10th gen i5?

Lahti

Will My m.2 work in this slot(A)

from what i can Read with My eyes it wont work. Before taking it out im just double checking here.

16381302235379163275249311217508.jpg

This is the first time I've seen that the slot is disabled with a 10th gen CPU. Normally it just means you will get 3.0 instead of 4.0.

Might just be an error in the manual. Doesn't hurt to plug in a drive and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

This is the first time I've seen that the slot is disabled with a 10th gen CPU. Normally it just means you will get 3.0 instead of 4.0.

Might just be an error in the manual. Doesn't hurt to plug in a drive and see what happens.

I thought it would be backwards compatible like ive read many times, you think i should try it anyway and just switch too the second slot if it doesent work? 

Just now, Lahti said:

I thought it would be backwards compatible like ive read many times, you think i should try it anyway and just switch too the second slot if it doesent work? 

Yup that sounds good.

7 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

11th Gen Intel has 4 more PCIe lanes than 10th gen does, and the way most motherboard manufacturers get around that is by having the top slot disabled if you're using a 10th gen CPU. It's the same on pretty much every Z590/B560/etc. motherboard.

The manual clearly states that the port will be disabled if not using an 11th gen CPU. Feel free to use port 2 or 3.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Fedora 35 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon W3680, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: 2x Intel Xeon X5670, 72 GB 1333 MHz DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.3 LTS x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x Windows 11 Home 21H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x86_64

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

11th Gen Intel has 4 more PCIe lanes than 10th gen does, and the way most motherboard manufacturers get around that is by having the top slot disabled if you're using a 10th gen CPU. It's the same on pretty much every Z590/B560/etc. motherboard.

Oh well I don't have any experience with Z590. I have a Z490 board with 3 M.2 slots that all run off the chipset. And if I upgrade to an 11th gen CPU the only difference is that the first socket will be CPU direct and run at 4.0 speed.