(UPDATED!!) AORUS FV43U 43" - Text & Scaling Issues

Broth3rz

So I'm on a 43' 4K monitor. If the scaling is set to 100%, so no scaling, I have text blurry issues. If its viewing folders in lets say the Program Files folder, there are text issues. If I open the File, edit, etc, menus in Cubase lets say, there are text issues. Now if I scale to 125% or greater, there are no issues, the text is perfect.

Now I tried scaling at 112%, 115%, 120%, and they all have the text issues.  So right now I'm on 125% and the text is good but I really hate it since I bought the 43' and 4K so I'd have more real estate for my creative purposes. Now I'm losing 25%, seems kinda stupid ...

I only use one monitor. I am connected via DP with good quality cables.

So is this a common issue with 43' and 4K? What is going on? Is this just Windows? I'm sure Cubase and the other programs are updated to deal with 4K at this point. But it even shows in folder text as I mentioned.

Now I did try the ClearType in Windows but it never seems to change anything for me but either way it's still blurry. What can I do? Help!

Thanks.

Several problems could be responsible:

• chroma sub-sampling - you can check this in the Nvdia control panel under "Resolution" (if you are using an Nvidia GPU)
  • BGR panel - run the clear type utility

DP 1.4 only supports 4K / 120 Hz / 8 bpc and needs DSC for 10 bpc and 144 Hz. Sometimes 422 chroma sub-sampling activates automatically when one of these parameters is set to high.

19 minutes ago, HenrySalayne said:

Several problems could be responsible:

• chroma sub-sampling - you can check this in the Nvdia control panel under "Resolution" (if you are using an Nvidia GPU)
  • BGR panel - run the clear type utility

DP 1.4 only supports 4K / 120 Hz / 8 bpc and needs DSC for 10 bpc and 144 Hz. Sometimes 422 chroma sub-sampling activates automatically when one of these parameters is set to high.

image.thumb.png.ae12e608d6bf22c5e1f9be941820c3b5.png

Don't see anything that says chroma sub-sampling. What color output should I set it to? Should I use 10bit? Use default settings?

So maybe 144hz could be the issue?

ClearType don't do anything plus I can never decide which looks better out of the examples.

32 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Keep in mind if you set custom scaling factors like 110%, you'll need to sign out and sign back in again for it to take full effect.

I always sign out or restart.

5 minutes ago, Broth3rz said:

image.thumb.png.ae12e608d6bf22c5e1f9be941820c3b5.png

Don't see anything that says chroma sub-sampling. What color output should I set it to? Should I use 10bit? Use default settings?

So maybe 144hz could be the issue?

ClearType don't do anything plus I can never decide which looks better out of the examples.

Color output format should be set to RGB and dynamic range should be set to Full, although these settings probably won't change text clarity in this situation.

3 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Color output format should be set to RGB and dynamic range should be set to Full, although these settings probably won't change text clarity in this situation.

Set those.

13 hours ago, Broth3rz said:

Maybe try disabling clear type altogether. The FV43U probably uses a BGR layout. I explained here why this might be problematic for sub pixel rendering:

On 11/29/2021 at 4:06 AM, HenrySalayne said:

Maybe try disabling clear type altogether. The FV43U probably uses a BGR layout. I explained here why this might be problematic for sub pixel rendering:

Sadly this just makes it much worse. seems like the issues is the bolder type texts.

43inch 'monitors' use TV panels which are BGR.

There is one work around that usually works, though can introduce a few niggling problems in other areas.

Physically flip the screen upside down and rotate the output image in your display settings.

This results in the BGR pixel layout being RGB, u shouldnt have text issues then.

However the flipping of the image in software can introduce a small amount of input lag and can also prevent things like Variable refresh from no longer working.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

So here is the issues it seems.. anything down low on the screen looks great, but the higher you go the worse it looks text wise.. here are 2 images, one with the dialog at the top, and one at the bottom. It's VERY different. As you can see its mainly certain letters like the A, S and E. But overall the whole thing looks more bold... why?

I had to buy 2 of these because of a $130 prices difference, the first had this text issue, the second had a dead pixel, and now I order a replacement and it seems it has this text issue also. Now I'm not sure if the second one that had the dead pixel had the text issue as I didn't really use it long enough to find out..

I thought this was only with Windows type applications.. like right click menus, recycle bin as you can tell, etc.  But I notice it on other programs. I don't know what's going on but its 100% noticeable NONSTOP. Driving me crazy. I'm using W10 Enterprise LTSC, I doubt this version would be the issue since my other monitor which was a SAMSUNG 49' was fine with text.

I use Vivaldi as my browser and everything is perfect, files menus, text on tabs, etc. I'm just so confused why this is going on.

So is this Windows 4K issue? Or the monitor? I'm 100% scaling on 4K. Everything looks so clear and sharp at the bottom... folder text, just everything. The top looks bad. Also text in File menus in some programs. What's going on!?!?

20211210_060448.jpg

20211210_060504_HDR.jpg