Shutting off power supply

mrsnickerdoodle

I have began to shut off my pc and then flip the switch on the power supply to have the light on my motherboard go away. Is this harmful at all for the components in my rig? I wait like 30 seconds after shutting down the computer before flipping the switch to avoid any power surges. Any help would be much appreciated. 

How is it possible to get a power surge when you physically switch of the PSU after powering down the computer? I really don't think that is a thing.

If you flick that switch rapidly on and off multiple times, then you could get in a mess, but otherwise no.

But why don't you just power of the system with a power-strip? Then you power off all the other stuff so nothing is in power saving mode.

6 hours ago, mrsnickerdoodle said:

to have the light on my motherboard go away

You can disable the lights during standby in the settings in the motherboard BIOS. No need to switch the PSU off every time you shut down. The exact setting and where to find it will depend on your motherboard, if you can't find the setting check the motherboard manual. If it doesn't have a setting to disable the lights enable "ErP ready" which will switch them off when the PC is shut down 

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

It's not a good idea to constantly cut power to your PC. Whenever I unplug mine it always double boots presumably for memory training and the like. Its obvious that modern mobos expect to always have power.

Doing this just to turn off LEDs is an extreme solution. As mentioned there should be a BIOS setting to turn off LEDs. Some mobos even have a physical switch. If all else fails you can always cover them with some electrical tape.

Actually I'm guessing you might be talking about a standby light. There is probably no way to turn that off so just cover it if it bothers you that much.

12 hours ago, mrsnickerdoodle said:

I have began to shut off my pc and then flip the switch on the power supply to have the light on my motherboard go away.

Why not just go into the BIOS and set it to not have the LEDs on when in standby?

Unless you're talking about the little standby light, in which I would have to ask why do you need to have the standby light off?