MSI 1080 Ti doesn't fit in case

humanoid__human
Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,
1 minute ago, humanoid__human said:

Case is a new Focus G Mini
the motherboard has been screwed into the case, except for the middle one because the screw wasn't making contact with the case. I remember there being some alignment weirdness, so that might be the problem. 
I will probably go redo the motherboard and see if that fixes it, and also install the i/o shield. Thanks for the help!

The motherboard being screwed into the case is good... unless you're screwing the board directly into the case and not into the standoffs we're asking about.

That case should have them pre-installed as most well known case's do, however there are extras included.

From your manual: 

image.png.b54e412432853401cd7c6cd6f203fbf9.png

This is my first computer build, and for the graphics card I got an MSI 1080 Ti. However, it doesn't fit in the case, apparently because it's too short. The part of the case where i'm supposed to screw the gpu in is too far from the mobo, so the PCIe doesn't slot all the way in. Is there a way to fix this, or do I have to replace the case?

IMG_20211127_135439.jpg

Either your motherboard isn't aligned and properly secured or the case is just very poor quality. I also don't see a motherboard I/O shield installed which you'll want to do before securing the board in. Do you have motherboard standoffs installed?

What case is it? Did you purchase it new?

9 minutes ago, humanoid__human said:

This is my first computer build, and for the graphics card I got an MSI 1080 Ti. However, it doesn't fit in the case, apparently because it's too short. The part of the case where i'm supposed to screw the gpu in is too far from the mobo, so the PCIe doesn't slot all the way in. Is there a way to fix this, or do I have to replace the case?

As mentioned above, what is your case? Is your motherboard properly screwed in?

One part of the PCIe connector is not making proper contact in the slot. Did you install the standoffs in the case?

It looks like the motherboard isn't properly secured in place. Plus, like others have said - make sure you put the IO shield on.

Ryzen 9 5900x | ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | H150i Elite | T-Force XTREEM 3600mhz CL14Corsair 5000D Airflow

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

Either your motherboard isn't aligned and properly secured or the case is just very poor quality. I also don't see a motherboard I/O shield installed which you'll want to do before securing the board in. Do you have motherboard standoffs installed?

What case is it? Did you purchase it new?

the motherboard has been screwed into the case, except for the middle one because the screw wasn't making contact with the case. I remember there being some alignment weirdness, so that might be the problem. 
I will probably go redo the motherboard and see if that fixes it, and also install the i/o shield. Thanks for the help!

1 minute ago, humanoid__human said:

The motherboard being screwed into the case is good... unless you're screwing the board directly into the case and not into the standoffs we're asking about.

That case should have them pre-installed as most well known case's do, however there are extras included.

From your manual: 

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

From your manual: 

man am I stupid
I didn't know I was supposed to use those for that
the instructions weren't exactly clear on that, but I make no excuses
imma go fix it, will probably fix the issues
thank you so much

4 minutes ago, humanoid__human said:

man am I stupid
I didn't know I was supposed to use those for that
the instructions weren't exactly clear on that, but I make no excuses
imma go fix it, will probably fix the issues
thank you so much

Again, there should have been standoffs preinstalled if the case was new. I don't think i've ever had to use the extras included with the case, I was more using that as a visual reference. 

Still, check they're in there. If you try to screw the board directly into the motherboard tray and power on the system, you'll likely fry something.

20 minutes ago, rickeo said:

Again, there should have been standoffs preinstalled if the case was new. I don't think i've ever had to use the extras included with the case, I was more using that as a visual reference. 

Still, check they're in there. If you try to screw the board directly into the motherboard tray and power on the system, you'll likely fry something.

When I started there was only one standoff preinstalled, in the middle. I didn't know why it was there, so i removed it. I've now put it back, and installed a standoff for the other holes.