How can I make my system more efficient?

ReimuHKJ

My specs are listed on my profile.

I am running Windows 11 Pro.

My CPU is somehow running at 4.97 GHz at only 1.021 volts, which is lower than you would get on many i9 9900Ks.

I have ASUS Multi Core Enhancement on and XMP enabled as well.

I have an Oculus Quest 2 and a Galaxy Note 10+ that both obviously need to be charged.

I have a Dell S2719DGF kinda broken monitor running overlclocked from 144 hz to 155 hz, along with an old small Samsung TV.

I don't know if most of this information will help, but my electricity bill is off the charts and I don't know how to make this system be more efficient, without compromising performance.

Do you have a wall power meter? Id get one of those if you want to lower power consumption, then you know how much your actually using.

Do you sleep your pc when your not using it? That will make the biggest difference.

If you really want to save power, set the powerlimit on your chip to like 65w. It won't hurt performance too much, and save a lot of power.

Whats the rest of your system?

More than likely your power is being used by something else, not your pc.

9 minutes ago, ReimuHKJ said:

My CPU is somehow running at 4.97 GHz at only 1.021 volts, which is lower than you would get on many I9 9900ks

are you allowing your system to throttle down? like go back to 2 GHz while idling? 

10 minutes ago, ReimuHKJ said:

electricity bill is off the charts

is it just recently or for a longer period of time. you also might check if other energy hungry devices take all the energy. Fridge, old light bulbs, washer, dryer. 

Oh are you turning your system fully off, and disconnecting it from the power grid, as well as your old tv monitor etc? 

you might have some power hungry devices that are using energy while beeing "off" 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have a wall power meter? Id get one of those if you want to lower power consumption, then you know how much your actually using.

Do you sleep your pc when your not using it? That will make the biggest difference.

If you really want to save power, set the powerlimit on your chip to like 65w. It won't hurt performance too much, and save a lot of power.

More than likely your power is being used by something else, not your pc.

I will try and get a wall power meter.

Yes, I do put my pc to sleep, however that usually breaks some of my system, idk why. I wish there was a way to turn it off fast, like you would on a phone, so I can turn it off whenever I leave the desk. Do you happen to know of such a thing?

I'm not really sure how to do that-

I am running background tasks like Lightshot (used for taking screenshots), Steam, Logitech Hub, Wallpaper Engine, but, that only runs when the desktop is visible and barely uses any resources, rainmeter, which, again, has simple skins that don't run continuously, Nvidia Broadcast and One Drive.

Just now, ReimuHKJ said:

Yes, I do put my pc to sleep, however that usually breaks some of my system, idk why. I wish there was a way to turn it off fast, like you would on a phone, so I can turn it off whenever I leave the desk. Do you happen to know of such a thing?

Thats basically what sleep should do, but its far from perfect. Phones are kinda doing a sleep when you turn the screen off, but they keep a bit more running to get notifications and other background tasks.

Just now, ReimuHKJ said:

am running background tasks like Lightshot (used for taking screenshots), Steam, Logitech Hub, Wallpaper Engine, but, that only runs when the desktop is visible and barely uses any resources, rainmeter, which, again, has simple skins that don't run continuously, Nvidia Broadcast and One Drive.

Whats the rest of the hardware. THe cpu doesn't use much power at idle, and often the rest of the parts are pulling much power power.

1 minute ago, SamClan said:

are you allowing your system to throttle down? like go back to 2 GHz while idling? 

is it just recently or for a longer period of time. you also might check if other energy hungry devices take all the energy. Fridge, old light bulbs, washer, dryer. 

Oh are you turning your system fully off, and disconnecting it from the power grid, as well as your old tv monitor etc? 

you might have some power hungry devices that are using energy while beeing "off" 

My CPU is set to run on all cores synced so that's a big part of it now that I think about it. I also have ASUS Multi-Core Enhancements on so----

My PC is the main thing that's drawing power, the rest of the house is fairly efficient. That's not the problem.

I turn everything I don't need off, including lights and everything. I put my PC to sleep whenever I don't have to use it for extensive periods of time. I just wish there was a way to turn it off quickly like on a phone. Do you know of anything like that?

Other than charging my phone and vr headset, I don't really see what else could be drawing power...

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats basically what sleep should do, but its far from perfect. Phones are kinda doing a sleep when you turn the screen off, but they keep a bit more running to get notifications and other background tasks.

Whats the rest of the hardware. THe cpu doesn't use much power at idle, and often the rest of the parts are pulling much power power.

They are specified on my profile.

3 minutes ago, ReimuHKJ said:

My PC is the main thing that's drawing power, the rest of the house is fairly efficient. That's not the problem.

How do you know? Did you measure it? How many KWH a month are you using?

3 minutes ago, ReimuHKJ said:

My CPU is set to run on all cores synced so that's a big part of it now that I think about it. I also have ASUS Multi-Core Enhancements on so----

Thats gonna chew up a lot of extra power for very little extra performance. You can save a lot by limiting the tdp.

5 minutes ago, ReimuHKJ said:

Other than charging my phone and vr headset, I don't really see what else could be drawing power...

If your pulling a lot of power, its probalby not your pc, and Id get a pro in to check that the meter is working right, and no one is stealing power from your.

And stuff like a fridge, ac/heating, lights, hot water heater, dish washer, oven and other alliances pull a lot of power.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats gonna chew up a lot of extra power for very little extra performance. You can save a lot by limiting the tdp.

If your pulling a lot of power, its probalby not your pc, and Id get a pro in to check that the meter is working right, and no one is stealing power from your.

And stuff like a fridge, ac/heating, lights, hot water heater, dish washer, oven and other alliances pull a lot of power.

I agree, if it suddenly went up, I would have someone check the functionality of the meter and make sure you aren't getting boned by a scummy neighbor.

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That's literally just my dad telling me. I'll obviously ask him to make sure no one's stealing power from us.

However, I did also get new tech recently, and my pc uses a lot, and recently I overclocked it a lot. I dialed everything back to Auto so it should be better now.

19 minutes ago, ReimuHKJ said:

That's literally just my dad telling me. I'll obviously ask him to make sure no one's stealing power from us.

However, I did also get new tech recently, and my pc uses a lot, and recently I overclocked it a lot. I dialed everything back to Auto so it should be better now.

Is this power bill just for your stuff or the rest of the house too? Normally one pc is a pretty small amount of the total power bill, I wouldn't worry about it.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Is this power bill just for your stuff or the rest of the house too? Normally one pc is a pretty small amount of the total power bill, I wouldn't worry about it.

The whole house, and most of the power is being drained by my PC.

I turned off all cores being synced and high performance mode in Windows. Now when it idles, it doesn't stay at 4.97 GHz constantly, and clocks down. Next I'll just be cleaning it up from dust, reapplying thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, and looking for a new power supply, better cooling and somehow try and get more efficient parts.

1 minute ago, ReimuHKJ said:

The whole house, and most of the power is being drained by my PC.

How do you know this? Your pc doesn't pull that much power, and a normal house will use much more power than your pc could pull.

1 minute ago, ReimuHKJ said:

turned off all cores being synced and high performance mode in Windows. Now when it idles, it doesn't stay at 4.97 GHz constantly, and clocks down. Next I'll just be cleaning it up from dust, reapplying thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, and looking for a new power supply, better cooling and somehow try and get more efficient parts.

Really your PC isn't the issue here, it will pull much less power than other common household items, and your have it sleeping most of the time when not using it too.

Id get a kill a watt meter and start measuring other items in your house.