privacy and email

Go to solution Solved by Heliian,

Always good to assume that school and work emails are archived and accessible to administrators.  

The company I work for is very clear that they have access to any of their programs and any computers provided by them.  Company phones are also monitored and we even have "taped" phone lines that are always recorded. 

Can a school/corporate access it's student/employee enterprise gmail accounts and read the emails inside? I always had a pet peeve against my personal email address because my school email took my name.name@school.com in gmail. If it is private and they can't read my emails I can just re-use it among with g suite benefit.

Haven't access it in more than a decade last time to get some memories for the reunion but I finally decided to take care of the address naming and still work.

Any answers?

4 minutes ago, We Didnt_t start_the_fire said:

Can my old school access my old school Gmail account and see my emails and what's inside? I always had a pet peeve against my personal email address because my school email took my name.name@school.com and is using gmail so I don't have the address I want anymore. If it is private and they can't read my emails I can just re-use it among the free benefit. Haven't use it in mroe than a decade but I finaly decided to take care of the adress naming and my old school email still work.

Any answers?

I'd check the schools email/privacy policies. More than likely they can access your emails if they REALLY wanted to. However, unless they have serious concerns, they probably couldn't care less about what emails you've been sending and receiving.

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

I'd check the schools email/privacy policies. More than likely they can access your emails if they REALLY wanted to. However, unless they have serious concerns, they probably won't 

The thing is I am not sure I should be able to still access it among the premium gmail suites. My other concern is I know the school have servers so I do not know if they store things on they're own server as a hybrid system. I can't find anything mentioning specificaly the regarding the emails.

Couldn't you just make name.name@gmail.com?  Or does the name.name@school.com disallow you to use name.name@gmail.com?

Even so if you care about email privacy, I'd certainly stay away from gmail completely.

Consider something like protonmail or tutanota.  Both protonmail and tutanota use encryption and your mails are encrypted at rest.

And both services offer free and paid options.  Tutanota is much cheaper than proton.  I myself use tutanota with my own domain name.

AMD R7 3700X

32GB Mushkin Redline 3200MHz DDR4

Aorus A530 Elite WIFI

Bequiet Shadow Rock 3

EVGA RTX 2060 Super

Phanteks AMP 650W

Fractal Pop Air

Windows 11 / Arch Linux

5 minutes ago, Kawaii_Desu said:

Couldn't you just make name.name@gmail.com?  Or does the name.name@school.com disallow you to use name.name@gmail.com?

Even so if you care about email privacy, I'd certainly stay away from gmail completely.

Consider something like protonmail or tutanota.  Both protonmail and tutanota use encryption and your mails are encrypted at rest.

And both services offer free and paid options.  Tutanota is much cheaper than proton.  I myself use tutanota with my own domain name.

I tried it, it is gmail so it is disallowed, it is not like outlook where you can have multiple domain. Gmail is one big system with different name. Kind evering is everything is integrated to gmail, I do have outlook but no where near the features of gmail. Although gmail is showing it's age on the visuals. Proton mail is great, but it is just too isolated. This is more harder than the move away from yahoo. If you remmeber the yahoo days. 

I jsut come out of the school emails. A tad nostalogic right now.

After deep digging Data access by your administrator or service provider - Google Account Help .

They pretty much have full access. Personnaly prefer end to end encryption. Some of the G suites feature are sweet, but looks like no personal info dump in it. But dam I google have to have all adress in one single domain. And I don't hav etoo much flexibility in naming plus the 7 caracter minimaum required by google.

Always good to assume that school and work emails are archived and accessible to administrators.  

The company I work for is very clear that they have access to any of their programs and any computers provided by them.  Company phones are also monitored and we even have "taped" phone lines that are always recorded.