Molex pin burining?

Joko Aroban

As the title says, my molex is starting to smell burning plastic, its connector, its a rx580 2048sp, my power supply is a w700+ (somewhere near 700) bronze, is there something wrong that this is happening, ive only recently played inscryption, fc5, valorant all in medium and recommended specs.

i already threw away my previous burned molex pin connector, my monitor uses 1920x1080 144 fps. havent cleaned and i dont smoke.
previous one was burned like 40% of it.

what do you mean the connector is burning? Are you using some type of adapter to be able to power your GPU?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

What's the actual power supply manufacturer and model?

If you can take a screenshot of the label and post it here. 

Just because the model says W700+ , doesn't mean that the power supply can provide 700 watts to your computer's components. I've seen power supplies labeled N650 for example, but they could only provide 350w to components.

The RX 580 is fairly power hungry, it can take up to around 220 watts - around 60w from the pci-e slot, and the rest of around 150 watts through the 8 pin pci-e connector.

So if the power supply you have is some cheap crap with thin cables and weak connectors, those connectors could become damaged or overheat the housing of the connector.

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

what do you mean the connector is burning? Are you using some type of adapter to be able to power your GPU?

No, the usual 8 pin connector on the gpu, its the same type when it was repaired.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

What's the actual power supply manufacturer and model?

If you can take a screenshot of the label and post it here. 

Just because the model says W700+ , doesn't mean that the power supply can provide 700 watts to your computer's components. I've seen power supplies labeled N650 for example, but they could only provide 350w to components.

The RX 580 is fairly power hungry, it can take up to around 220 watts - around 60w from the pci-e slot, and the rest of around 150 watts through the 8 pin pci-e connector.

So if the power supply you have is some cheap crap with thin cables and weak connectors, those connectors could become damaged or overheat the housing of the connector.

i'll show it tommorow, its midnight here. and thank you for the information

If a connector is "burning", that means it's not making a good connection or the load is simply too high for the connector. Could be corrosion, or maybe not plugged in correctly, maybe one of the pins is bent, cable came loose from the connector. Hard to tell without taking a look at your setup, but sounds like low quality cable. 

10 minutes ago, Joko Aroban said:

this was the previous one.

260704951_3095890300667490_7867344394175935405_n.jpg

Using molex to PCI-e adapter is asking for troubles. If the PSU does not have the required connectors, it's not suitable for the task. And a 700w PSU without four 6+2 pin PCI-e connectors is garbage.

4 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

If a connector is "burning", that means it's not making a good connection or the load is simply too high for the connector. Could be corrosion, or maybe not plugged in correctly, maybe one of the pins is bent, cable came loose from the connector. Hard to tell without taking a look at your setup, but sounds like low quality cable. 

it is sometimes in highload, everything is neatly clean and in place, ive been asked the same, previously i ignored the scent of burnt plastic since i was playing doom etrn and no smell.

Yeah, your problem is that you're overloading the connectors.

A molex / old hdd connector (the white connectors in your picture) are rated for maximum 5A of current or 60 watts each, provided the wires are thick enough.

Your adapter uses two of those connectors to make an adapter to a 8 pin pci-e connector.

The video card actually will take almost 150 watts through that adapter cable, which means you're taking much more than 120 watts (the maximum the 2 molex connectors would safely be able to handle) so of course the molex connectors would overheat.

Such adapter cables are good for video cards that use just a bit more power than what a slot would provide (for example 100-150 watts max cards, like a GTX 1060 for example that consumes 120 watts or a 1050/1050ti that goes up to around 90-100 watts  ... because after you substract 50-60w that the video cards take through the slot, you end up with 80-100 watts at most, a safe value to take from two molex connectors)

In addition to that, a lot of those cheap adapter cables use thinner wires (not AWG18 or AWG16) and they also often mix copper wires with steel wires or aluminum wires to make the wire thicker, but not actually capable of carrying the amount of energy a proper AWG18 or AWG16 would be able to deliver.

So you have to be extra careful with these adapters.

If your power supply doesn't actually have the pci-e 8 pin connectors, it's a very good indication it's not actually capable of supplying 700 watts to your components.

You could - but it's really not safe -  to buy two of those   2xmolex -> pci-e adapter cables  and  combine them together, so that each molex connector gets one yellow wire from the pci-e connector. Basically cut one yellow wire and tie it / solder it to the yellow wire of the 3rd molex connector.

This way, your adapter would be able to take up to 60w from each molex connectors, so it would have a rating of 180 watts.

BUT, it would only work if your power supply has separate cables with molex connectors, so each of the 2-3 molex connectors on your adapters go on separate cables to the power supply.

16 minutes ago, Joko Aroban said:

Why does it look physically like 4-pin molex connector?

PCIe 8-pin usually are black.

Edit: ah, you used molex to PCIe connector..

I edit my posts more often than not

15 minutes ago, Joko Aroban said:

ok, so you are Adapting your PSU to plug in, this is a big no no and a huge risk both hardware and FIRE, as you can see from the screenshot you posted. Either use the proper cables from your PSU into your GPU, or replace your PSU to get the appropriate cables needed to properly power. Adapting is always a ticking time bomb.. You're extremely lucky you didn't actually start a fire. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Why does it look physically like 4-pin molex connector?

PCIe 8-pin usually are black.

im not now sure, but that is the exact same cable that was given, it was with the box, ill edit it.

Just now, Joko Aroban said:

im not now sure, but that is the exact same cable that was given, it was with the box, ill edit it.

Main thing is, as mentioned before me - do not use molex to PCIe 8-pin adapters!

Best to get a decent PSU that has all the necessary cables without shady adapters.

also don't psu pcie pigtail, use another pcie psu cable

afaik pcie mobo slot supplies up to 75w, each pcie psu 8pin cable supplies up to 150w (6pin only 75w max)

image.png.39b2d54df2988f285149e66d04effbb6.png

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

4 minutes ago, fonzz1e said:

also don't psu pcie pigtail, use another pcie psu cable

afaik pcie mobo slot supplies up to 75w, each pcie psu 8pin cable supplies up to 150w (6pin only 75w max)

That's what Seasonic recommands. Use 2 seperate cables if the GPU consumes >225w. Other brands go up to 300w with pigtailed cables.

6 minutes ago, Joko Aroban said:

Here the power supply

20211129_001323.jpg

It's "hazardous area" indeed. Trash.

Well, look at what it says on the label :

12V1 x 16A =  192 watts

12V2 x 14A =  168 watts

12V3 x 12A =  144 watts

So the total would be : 192+168+144 = 504 watts

But notice how they say 3.3v + 5v + 12v combined can not be more than 680w and 3.3v + 5v = 160w , which would mean 12v would have 680w - 160w  = 520w  ... so even on the label they can't get it straight.

If there's really 3 x 12v voltage rails, those current values would usually be "peak" values, and you can't just add those numbers together to get maximum wattage.

I suspect the label lie and there's no separate voltage rail and I also suspect the power supply can't even provide the 504 watts ... especially if it doesn't have 8 pin pci-e connectors, it's most likely capable of around 400 watts on 12v.

So you should definitely replace the power supply as fast as possible with a power supply that's not lying on the label, get something from a brand name, with a good reputation.

59 minutes ago, Joko Aroban said:

Here the power supply

20211129_001323.jpg

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

12V1 x 16A =  192 watts

12V2 x 14A =  168 watts

12V3 x 12A =  144 watts

But notice how they say 3.3v + 5v + 12v combined can not be more than 680w and 3.3v + 5v = 160w , which would mean 12v would have 680w - 160w  = 520w  ... so even on the label they can't get it straight.

If there's really 3 x 12v voltage rails, those current values would usually be "peak" values, and you can't just add those numbers together to get maximum wattage.

I suspect the label lie and there's no separate voltage rail and I also suspect the power supply can't even provide the 504 watts ... especially if it doesn't have 8 pin pci-e connectors, it's most likely capable of around 400 watts on 12v.

So you should definitely replace the power supply as fast as possible with a power supply that's not lying on the label, get something from a brand name, with a good reputation.

What kind of psu rated would you guys choose or reccomend?

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

12V1 x 16A =  192 watts

12V2 x 14A =  168 watts

12V3 x 12A =  144 watts

I ve gone to the shop where this pc was built, fixed replaced and upgraded from

They just straight up said it was rated, but the gpu cable was a proper 8 pin, just forgot to add. My bad.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

You got scammed, sorry. That PSU isn't 700W at all, whoever tell you it's up for the task is either a scammer or someone who barely knows something about computers. The use of adapters is, and I can't stress this enough, wrong. The P4 on the model name alone indicates how old the design is... 

While you can use adapters to be able to use a non-standard power supply in a desktop computer (although it's not the best way to do such a thing) there's a few things to consider: the power supply should be able to output enough current for the components, the connectors should be of decent quality, and the wiring should be of the same gauge throughout all its length. I've used adapters before and never had this issue because -not to boast or anything- I kinda know what I'm doing when dealing with electricity, something whoever put that PSU in there to power an RX580 does not.

I'd say you do yourself a favor and, first, don't go to that shop again, then, get a decent power supply and install it yourself, it's not rocket science. I don't know the rest of your specs but I'd say a CX650 would be enough for a build with that graphics card.

got it, many thanks for that, is there any other factors i should consider? our power is 220w (philippines) and i have an AVR (for power outages, will be buying a UPS).

Your power is 220v  as in volts, not watts.  Watts is a power measurement, it's volts multiplied by current (amps).

Pretty much any power supply you will buy these days should be capable of working on 220-240v AC, in fact you'll find there's power supplies that will work only on 200v and higher, because they're cheaper to make and achieve minimum efficiency ratings with the bigger input voltage.

You need a power supply that can provide at least 220 watts  for your video card, and around 100 watts for your cpu, motherboard and other components - so you want ABSOLUTE MINIMUM around 350 watts on the 12v output of the power supply :  350 watts / 12 volts = around 30A  so look on the label and make sure there more than 30A available on the 12v output.

Even a 500 watts brand name power supply will provide at least 420-450 watts on the 12v output which would be enough for your system, but usually the price difference between a 550w and a 650w power supply these days is very small.

What I'm trying to say is you must stop focusing on the  "biggest number", don't go for cheap and shit 650/750/850/1000 watts power supply, you can go for something lower wattage from a brand name that doesn't lie about the power supply's capability.

If you give us some links to online stores you can buy from where you are, I or others may be able to suggest decent cheap power supplies for you.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Your power is 220v  as in volts, not watts.  Watts is a power measurement, it's volts multiplied by current (amps).

Pretty much any power supply you will buy these days should be capable of working on 220-240v AC, in fact you'll find there's power supplies that will work only on 200v and higher, because they're cheaper to make and achieve minimum efficiency ratings with the bigger input voltage.

You need a power supply that can provide at least 220 watts  for your video card, and around 100 watts for your cpu, motherboard and other components - so you want ABSOLUTE MINIMUM around 350 watts on the 12v output of the power supply :  350 watts / 12 volts = around 30A  so look on the label and make sure there more than 30A available on the 12v output.

Even a 500 watts brand name power supply will provide at least 420-450 watts on the 12v output which would be enough for your system, but usually the price difference between a 550w and a 650w power supply these days is very small.

What I'm trying to say is you must stop focusing on the  "biggest number", don't go for cheap and shit 650/750/850/1000 watts power supply, you can go for something lower wattage from a brand name that doesn't lie about the power supply's capability.

If you give us some links to online stores you can buy from where you are, I or others may be able to suggest decent cheap power supplies for you.

sure thing, https://shopee.ph/shop/373544133/search?page=0&shopCollection=112390476 , this is an offcial store for corsair. https://shopee.ph/shop/77217829/search?page=0&shopCollection=43801023 , asus, it was around 80-90 usd (somewhere 4k php)