RAM functioning at half of rated hz.

Go to solution Solved by SorryBella,
1 minute ago, Mr.Briggs said:

operate at 1333mhz regardless of single or dual channel.

Yes, but theyre Double Data Rate, which means theyll multiply the speed regardless of channels and speed. And dual channel dont combine speed, they combine their practical bandwith size which means more data is being processed not from the speed, but by volume.

I have a hyper x 16 gig card (i have no idea which. long story). but the task manager is saying that the hz is 2667 while cpu z and speccy are reporting half of that. i have included the pages from all three below. can/should i unlock the speed?

Screenshot 2021-11-27 174510.png

Screenshot 2021-11-27 174542.png

Screenshot 2021-11-27 174418.png

its DDR = Double Data Rate.
So DDR4 2666 = 1333mhz, DDR4 3000 = 1500mhz. etc.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

What you are seeing is correct 🙂 

DDR stands for "Double Data Rate" you get two data transfers per clock tick. So CPU-Z reports what the physical clock frequency is and Windows shows what you get in regards to transfer speed. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

1 stick of ram your will operate at 1333MHz in single channel.

If you add a 2nd stick, it will also run at 1333MHz.

but having 2 (in dual channel, you can see single channel on your screenshot)
then both 1333MHz will give combined frequency of 2666MHz.

2nd stick doesnt have to be same capacity. e.g. if you add 4gb, you'll have the first 8GB operate in dual channel, with the remaining 12GB remaining in single channel.

On old intel integrated graphics the difference between 4gb and 4gb + 1gb was going from 30fps to 50fps, purely due to increased bandwidth, nothing to do with capacity.

24 minutes ago, Mr.Briggs said:

Youre not even remotely right on that. If you copy both questions above you, you would be more right than where youre at right now.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

Youre not even remotely right on that. If you copy both questions above you, you would be more right than where youre at right now.

how so? 2666MHz modules operate at 1333mhz regardless of single or dual channel.

for example, in my case.

I have 2x 1333MHz sticks, in dual channel its 2 sticks operating at 665mhz each.

Regardless of how ddr actually functions, this is the practical application of it, not just a theoretical argument about it

ddr.png

1 minute ago, Mr.Briggs said:

operate at 1333mhz regardless of single or dual channel.

Yes, but theyre Double Data Rate, which means theyll multiply the speed regardless of channels and speed. And dual channel dont combine speed, they combine their practical bandwith size which means more data is being processed not from the speed, but by volume.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

10 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

indeed, it was an oversimplification. but i meant the same thing.

a similar confusion can arise with gpu memory frequency, since nvidia stack the frequencies and report crazy high stuff like 7000-8000mhz vram, its not the actual clock in the backend, but the effective clock you get at the front end.

thats what i was trying to put across, while yes technically incorrect, it was merely to assist with a practical understanding of it. e.g. more channels = higher 'effective' clock

On 11/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, Mr.Briggs said:

Then triple, quadruple channel memory  triples, quadruples the frequency?  I don't think so.

17 hours ago, lacek said:

Then triple, quadruple channel memory  triples, quadruples the frequency?  I don't think so.

as stated above, I was referring to 'effective' clock