Why does the s21 have worse PPI and resolution than s20?

MS-DOS

Check it out:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S7,Samsung-Galaxy-S20,Samsung-Galaxy-S21/phones/9817,11266,11508

I dont get it. Even my old s7 has a better PPI.

s20 3200 x 1440 pixels, 20:9 ratio, 566 PPI
s21 2400 x 1080 pixels, 20:9 ratio, 424 PPI

Some say "it's not noticeable bro". But for VR I assume ppi is crucial since the pixels are closer, so am I in for a disappointment? Im updating from the s7, so I assume increase in FOV will be great. Battery wise, s7 is pretty damn good, it can run 4k-5k for 4 hours. The imagine is pretty sharp specialy at 5k. I was considering buying the s21 since its on sale but im not sure anymore because of the lower PPI.

It says it can run at 120hz but im not sure if it will run VR videos at without overheating (inb4 someone claims there is not benefit if the video is not running at 120fps)

Anyway I don't get why a newer flagship phone has worse stats than the predecesor.

Because the S21 cut all the costs it could to compete with the base iPhone 12/13 at £700. It’s a plastic backed phone too that’s how desperate they got to pinch pennies

3 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

Because the S21 cut all the costs it could to compete with the base iPhone 12/13 at £700. It’s a plastic backed phone too that’s how desperate they got to pinch pennies

I don't mind plastics if in return the money saved is invested in hardware. I just don't get the downgrade on a key department.

3 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

I don't mind plastics if in return the money saved is invested in hardware. I just don't get the downgrade on a key department.

If it’s not noticeable it’s not too bad, the VR fad is fading away now. I would say the plastic back is a worse downgrade considering the durability and environment factor 

8 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

If it’s not noticeable it’s not too bad, the VR fad is fading away now. I would say the plastic back is a worse downgrade considering the durability and environment factor 

I don't know if its noticeable, we are talking 100+ ppi less. VR is pretty awesome in my book.

2 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

I don't know if its noticeable, we are talking 100+ ppi less. VR is pretty awesome in my book.

It’s not noticeable in general use. 

On phones it was a fad and has nearly died out now

6 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

vr only died on phones and thats a good thing in my opinion. it makes it feel more serious than before.

1 hour ago, XG BC said:

vr only died on phones and thats a good thing in my opinion. it makes it feel more serious than before.

The problem is they insist on not making headsets that work in pitch dark without annoying ligthhouses etc. For media consumption Oculus Go was great for instance, but now its too outdated, so phone is the only replacement i've found. I know you can use IR lights but i cant be bothered with that.

I'll put it to you this way, I've used my moto G7+ with vr before which has a 403ppi density at 1080p 21:9 and never really noticed anything even at 60 hz. The thing that stood out to me is that the screen had to be perfectly clean for the picture to not go wonky with the Google cardboard-esk headset.

To be completely honest, VR on phones kind of died almost as soon as it came on.

I had the Daydream View. It was cool for its time but the novelty soon wore off as it became painfully apparent that no one was gonna be using their phones to have immersive VR experiences. That much is evident when VR on the PC space seems to have found its firm niche, whilst phone-based VR is basically just Google Cardboard for 360-degree video...and even that was kind of a fad.

With that, I honestly don't mind the drop in PPI. 424PPI is still plenty for how you tend to use your phone for, PenTile notwithstanding.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 11/26/2021 at 12:36 AM, MS-DOS said:

The problem is they insist on not making headsets that work in pitch dark without annoying ligthhouses etc. For media consumption Oculus Go was great for instance, but now its too outdated, so phone is the only replacement i've found. I know you can use IR lights but i cant be bothered with that.

oh ok i you have a point there fir media consumption you obviously dont need the fancy 6 dof headsets. but what about attaching a bunch of ir lights to an ocolus quest? would that work?