Xbox used as Jupyter Notebook Server?

Go to solution Solved by igormp,
7 hours ago, CyanideDaydreams said:

My laptop isn't strong enough to run code, google colab pro costs money and i use my pc constantly so i cant have it running in the background without it lagging it out. running jupyter off of my xbox is cheaper and i dont  have to pay for longer run times so i can have something running 24/7 without any extra costs (other than electricity)  or unexpected stops. basically its seems like a good idea to run on the xbox but idk.

Keep in mind that even if you manage to get a jupyter server running on your xbox, you still won't be able to do anything GPU-accelerated, so performance will still be really poor.

Is that even possible? Consoles are pretty useless pieces of tech (outside of gaming of course).

ಠ_ಠ

42 minutes ago, shadow_ray said:

Is that even possible? Consoles are pretty useless pieces of tech (outside of gaming of course).

technically it is since cmd is a uwp app but i dont know whether its worth it or not

edit when in Dev mode it is possible since it is a UWP app

On 11/24/2021 at 7:10 PM, CyanideDaydreams said:

Should I use my xbox 1 as  a jupyter notebook server for google colab?

Idk, should you? The server colab offers has a better config that an xbox one, with an useable GPU if you're dealing with ML.

Otherwise, why not use your regular pc/laptop as the server itself with regular jupyter notebook?

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

11 hours ago, igormp said:

Idk, should you? The server colab offers has a better config that an xbox one, with an useable GPU if you're dealing with ML.

Otherwise, why not use your regular pc/laptop as the server itself with regular jupyter notebook?

My laptop isn't strong enough to run code, google colab pro costs money and i use my pc constantly so i cant have it running in the background without it lagging it out. running jupyter off of my xbox is cheaper and i dont  have to pay for longer run times so i can have something running 24/7 without any extra costs (other than electricity)  or unexpected stops. basically its seems like a good idea to run on the xbox but idk.

7 hours ago, CyanideDaydreams said:

Keep in mind that even if you manage to get a jupyter server running on your xbox, you still won't be able to do anything GPU-accelerated, so performance will still be really poor.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, igormp said:

you still won't be able to do anything GPU-accelerated

hey @igormp, why is that? Because I was wondering if I could do the same thing myself.

2 hours ago, Tom_nerd said:

hey @igormp, why is that? Because I was wondering if I could do the same thing myself.

First of all, the Xbox one has an AMD GPU, so it's already DOA for anything ML :old-tongue:

Second, you'd need to get the proper software tools installed to get GPU-accelerated stuff going on (CUDA for nvidia, ROCm or something similar for AMD).

Lenovo N23 Yoga