Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Buying a used overheating laptop is it a good idea ?

Hi 

I'm thinking about buying a laptop off a friend 

I've played on it when over at his house and it works fine for a few minutes but then looses FPS when it heats up.

I think I can fix that with a clean inside and changing thermal paste he has cats at home and hasn't really ever cleaned it.

Do you think the overheating will be cleaned by this , and will it suffer damage from the overheating ? 

What laptop? Some laptops are just overheating from the factory due to bad design and you just can never fix these and they will be forever bad.

If it's just from dust yeah sure that will fix it. If it's a laptop from like the last decade the heat shouldn't damage it as it will slow itself down to not be damaged.

I don't know the model but I know it has a GTX 970m and i5 If remember correctly so yeah it should have dialed it back to protect itself 

And it's an MSI laptop 

Idk much about laptops but MSI is a good brand so it's a good design I should imagine

Hi @eliott

Anytime I have heat problems on a laptop, I strip it down, clean the fans and interior of the laptop with compressed air and reapply thermal paste. This usually takes care of the heating problems. Make sure to clean both the air intake and outputs on the laptop. 

However, sometimes that's not enough, so I grab a drill and make some holes in the bottom of the case to allow more cooling like this:

laptop_cooling.jpg.138f2c9e1a8d2aa29900ae1476f0caf5.jpg

Unless there are other problems, this usually fixes any heating problems. 

6 hours ago, zogthegreat said:

Hi @eliott

Anytime I have heat problems on a laptop, I strip it down, clean the fans and interior of the laptop with compressed air and reapply thermal paste. This usually takes care of the heating problems. Make sure to clean both the air intake and outputs on the laptop. 

However, sometimes that's not enough, so I grab a drill and make some holes in the bottom of the case to allow more cooling like this:

laptop_cooling.jpg.138f2c9e1a8d2aa29900ae1476f0caf5.jpg

Unless there are other problems, this usually fixes any heating problems. 

Doesn't fix it when the heatsink can't handle the load even with full airflow which is common.

6 hours ago, eliott said:

I don't know the model but I know it has a GTX 970m and i5 If remember correctly so yeah it should have dialed it back to protect itself 

And it's an MSI laptop 

Idk much about laptops but MSI is a good brand so it's a good design I should imagine

Msi laptops have always been extremely hit or miss.

If it's a thin one then yeah easy to say it will forever be hot since that has been a problem with them for years.

14 hours ago, jaslion said:

Msi laptops have always been extremely hit or miss.

If it's a thin one then yeah easy to say it will forever be hot since that has been a problem with them for years.

I'll ask him what model it is and look online for reviews then 

2 minutes ago, eliott said:

I'll ask him what model it is and look online for reviews then 

Also post it here too.