This is NOT going Well… Linux Gaming Challenge Pt.2

James
6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Once you hit critical mass,

Until someone gets disgruntled and forks it, which resets the ball.

And here is the issue, right?

The notion that "anyone can make a distro" leads to massive fractioning of finite resources.

The top 3 distros and their respective package management (.rpm, .deb and whateverthehell arch uses) should be the only things concentrated on, instead of yet-another-distro-of-the-week-that-will-be-discontinued-inside-of-two-months.

But we all know that's not going to happen.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

43 minutes ago, Olgyd said:

If NotAlwaysRight has taught me anything, only entitled people who are lying about what their job is says that.

sure. generalize every person who uses that word.

says more about you than me really.

56 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

Maybe it just shows open source is not the way to go. unless people are paid, they wont be arsed to develop things and you can only go so far with volunteer nerds.

I don't personally use Linux and honestly not even too much open source software but I think that's a really bad take away.
Over 7% of people use Firefox which is a free and open-source(FOSS) web browser. We saw with the recent streamlabs debacle how OBS which is a FOSS streaming app was considered to be better then Streamlaabs fork of the app and Streamlabs is owned by Logitech so it's not like they aren't being paid.

Also FOSS doesn't mean that there are no employees. System76 the makers of Pop!_OS have employees and are a company which has made desktops and notebooks that have been reviewed on LMG channels.

I think there are problems with Linux's approachability and UX, while there also is an issue of a lack of effort by certain hardware and software manufacturers to be cross platform compatible with Linux. But saying that open source is not useful because of that seems like quite a foolhardy statement. Also paid open source software exists, I pay money to BitWarden so I can use 2factor authentication and be able to get reports to check if I should change passwords due to the password staying the same for a long time.

10 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Linux has its toe in the door, its getting more support, but its not there yet.

Oh, Linux has arrived. Big time. In the server world: it's quite dominant there. Even M$ is running their Azure cloud on Linux. Because their own OS can't handle it.

Linux has arrived even more: in the IoT world. It's dominance there borders on a monopoly, really. because any other OS, safe for a BSD (which is also Open Source), simply can't handle it: too small, too little resources, too cheap to justify a 10x price hike because of a software licence...

Thing is, only on the gamer desktop is Linux not dominant. Yet. Everything else uses Linux, from expensive supercomputing to your toaster, washing machine and fridge and of course the router you connect your Win-OS gamer PC to the internet with.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Its frustrating to admit but Linux was designed as it was for a reason and a lot of UX and UI elements are merely compromises to simulate a user experience people find more relatable. Often these compromises don't go the distance because the developers of these applications don't want to write hacky frontends that fight against what is actually going on on the backend. No distro is completely ready for the mainstream user that is expecting their linux desktop experience to relate to other, more popular OS's. I doubt they ever will without being very controversial and dismissed by the elite, greybeard, godlike linux master race (of which I am a member). 

It's available to everyone, but it's not for just anyone. If you have the time to puzzle through it, it's very rewarding. If you have an understanding of why it behaves the way it does, it makes a lot of sense. Not everyone has the time or will take the time to understand why. That's OK. They don't have to.

The poor, or complete lack of official hardware support is something that's always plagued the OS and will continue to do so because it just doesn't have the market share.

I'm curious if valve can provide a user experience that is uncompromising while also being familiar and easy beyond just launching steam in big picture.

Keep it real. Keep it regular.  😎

7 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Oh, Linux has arrived. Big time. In the server world: it's quite dominant there. Even M$ is running their Azure cloud on Linux. Because their own OS can't handle it.

Linux has arrived even more: in the IoT world. It's dominance there borders on a monopoly, really. because any other OS, safe for a BSD (which is also Open Source), simply can't handle it: too small, too little resources, too cheap to justify a 10x price hike because of a software licence...

Thing is, only on the gamer desktop is Linux not dominant. Yet. Everything else uses Linux, from expensive supercomputing to your toaster, washing machine and fridge and of course the router you connect your Win-OS gamer PC to the internet with.

Raspberry Pi OS is a form of Linux as well. I might be wrong but aren't most ARM based devices using some form of Linux-based or other open-source based operating system. With the exception of iOS and apple's stuff?

Linus, are you trolling?

Visit any Github, and there is a nice, big, green button. It's the only green button on the whole site. You can see it in your video too. Guess what that button does? DOWNLOAD. You can also visit the release page on nearly any development and DOWNLOAD from there too. Even Windows users know this. How do you not?

Yet, you're trying to argue that you right-click, save as an HTML, then paste it into an editor, and save it properly? Dude, who are you fooling?

1 minute ago, HSF3232 said:

I... I'm not even going to try and respond to the comments on this thread, it'll be deja vu.
Also... Ugh. I can deffeintly see Linus dropping out first. Waiting for that Windows hair, Linus.

1. "Save As" on the github file listing and not the raw file. 🤦‍♂️And people wonder why there was a git commit recently to make it stupidly simple.
  2. The Pop Shop didn't break Linux! It actually did it's job and stopped you from destroying your GUI. Apt-get didn't stop you. That's on whoever forgot to pin the required packages though. Editoral error there, jesus. At least it's not "The Verge" level.

I am convienced we are all being trolled and Linus Tech Tips is having a laugh at us.  It cannot be real. I mean, it could, but... ya...

16 minutes ago, Linux-Is-Best said:

Linus, are you trolling?

Visit any Github, and there is a nice, big, green button. It's the only green button on the whole site. You can see it in your video too. Guess what that button does? DOWNLOAD. You can also visit the release page on nearly any development and DOWNLOAD from there too. Even Windows users know this. How do you not?

Yet, you're trying to argue that you right-click, save as an HTML, then paste it into an editor, and save it properly? Dude, who are you fooling?

The green button downloads the whole repo. When you're only interested in one file Github's UX is terrible, to the point that there are browser extensions to improve it - but people won't know to go get an extension for that. Countless people have done the same mistake on some of the projects I worked with. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

27 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The green button downloads the whole repo. When you're only interested in one file Github's UX is terrible, to the point that there are browser extensions to improve it - but people won't know to go get an extension for that. Countless people have done the same mistake on some of the projects I worked with. 

When using Windows, you do not typically pick 1 file out of a whole package; you download the package and extract the 1 file. Here we have Linus acting like that's not the norm, as if he does not know how to download software. He's trolling, and he's making it seem as if Linux was the issue in his video. The man knows how to use Github; he's shown it in previous videos.

And as expected, more inaccuracies designed to drive controversy rather than be any useful insight.

The Pop Shop protected Linus's environment from bricking itself. It in no way "tried to brick his system". Linus pushed through and bricked his own system by going around Pop Shop. Like, if this is truly meant to be a fair experiment, I don't quite understand how. For someone who claims to be aware of the impact his influence can have, he really gives no shits sometimes.

42 minutes ago, HSF3232 said:

Apt-get didn't stop you. That's on whoever forgot to pin the required packages though. Editoral error there, jesus. At least it's not "The Verge" level.

nope, it's been a problem with apt since i've started using linux, which is about 10 years ago. the issue is when the database it has is out of date, it does weird stuff that's completely unpredictable. in order to get around it, you have to run "apt update" before you try to install anything, then it's fine. 

one more reason i don't use a debian-based distro anymore. 

She/Her

lmao @ Linus being so mad that someone on the internet jokingly called Windows ‘silly’ for the way it handles file extensions.

Windows' over-reliance on filenames is a quirk of its single-user DOS heritage (lack of anything like interpreter directives, lack of execute bits on FAT). Having an execute bit or otherwise not relying so much on file extensions isn't even a Linux-ism. It's the way things have been done on pretty much all modern operating systems but Windows. This also applies to desktop operating systems, and has been true for the entirety of Windows' existence—Classic macOS encoded metadata about file types outside of the file name and content before Windows 1.0 came out.

1 minute ago, Hazz3r said:

And as expected, more inaccuracies designed to drive controversy rather than be any useful insight.

The Pop Shop protected Linus's environment from bricking itself. Linus pushed through and bricked his own system by going around Pop Shop. Like, if this is truly meant to be a fair experiment, I don't quite understand how.

to be very clear, APT is a piece of trash. that issue of it just yeeting your desktop has been around for a VERY long time. at least a decade. it's caused by the databases not being up to date, so it doesn't know anything about itself or the packages it needs. 

it's such a stupid problem since all you need to do to fix it is either update though pop shop or run apt update in terminal to get the database up to date. i CANNOT fathom how that is still an issue though, since on Manjaro when you first install it, if you try to install an app, even in terminal, it's like HO THERE you need to update the database, use sudo pacman -Sy to do so. 

like, it stops you from destroying your stuff, even through cli and TELLS YOU which command to run to fix it. 

why Ubuntu can't do that i have no idea. 

She/Her

44 minutes ago, Linux-Is-Best said:

Linus, are you trolling?

I think it's somewhat reasonable to think Linus hasn't ever used github and if you've never used it before the fact that it says code rather then save or copy might lead you to not really know what to do. I had to be told no you aren't supposed to download the entire zip folder every time you need to update your personal version for changes in code midway through a uni project. Also, I didn't know that there were github release pages, which I feel is kind of embarrassing.

23 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The UX is terrible for the average end-user, but GitHub is not designed to be a way for the average end-user to download software from. Tutorials that claim to be "new-user friendly" need to either stop relying on getting users to download things from GitHub or give a doorstop explanation of git/shell scripts/file permissions. Heck, if enough people want one, I'll write it myself so they can just link to/copy it.

2 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

why Ubuntu can't do that i have no idea. 

Apparently they fixed this in a recent update.

32 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

most of the time, if you want to download software from it, there's a releases section. more often than not though since he's running Manjaro, there will be a package for the software in the AUR, almost all github repo's i've seen have that.

for example: 

image.png.5fee1d1295207e2d61ffead3d17cdd8d.png

that program as shown is an open source app to control speed on Mac's running Linux. as you can see by the -git, this is a package that downloads the program directly from github and compiles it for you, so you don't need to do anything else. 

She/Her

Just now, Ultraforce said:

I think it's somewhat reasonable to think Linus hasn't ever used github and if you've never used it before the fact that it says code rather then save or copy might lead you to not really know what to do. I had to be told no you aren't supposed to download the entire zip folder every time you need to update your personal version for changes in code midway through a uni project. Also, I didn't know that there were github release pages, which I feel is kind of embarrassing.

But that's the thing; he has used it. There are videos with him showing himself using it. My grandfather knows how to download from Github, every Windows user is quick to smash that green button, but you're going to tell me, Linus, of all people, cannot download software? We're being trolled. This so-called honest try of using Linux is a farce. It's not to be taken seriously because they're not even taking things seriously.

1 minute ago, quantum- said:

Apparently they fixed this in a recent update.

DID THEY? after what 15 years of it being a problem? why do i doubt it... 

i'll grab the latest ubuntu and yeet it in a virtual machine to test that but i'm very skeptical lol

She/Her

1 minute ago, Linux-Is-Best said:

This so-called honest try of using Linux is a farce. It's not to be taken seriously because they're not even taking things seriously.

not true, Luke is taking it seriously. he also has some linux experience which shows in the videos. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, CCWong said:

Cringed pretty hard at Linus downloading a webpage and wondering why it wasn't a shell script.

Yeah, that cracked me up 🤣

GitHub is not a Dropbox clone. Linus had no reason to expect it to behave like one

does it mean that they are going to make a topic for the software nonsense on windows and related hardware etc.

From your mouse or keyboard needing to some level to have hardware even though you do have some versions that can "work without" depending on what you need.

5 minutes ago, finest feck fips said:

GitHub is not a Dropbox clone. Linus had no reason to expect it to behave like one

tbf, I'd hold judgement till I see the tutorial that led him there.

1 minute ago, quantum- said:

tbf, I'd hold judgement since I see the tutorial that led him there.

hold judgement? i'd forgive my grandma who knows nothing about computers for making that mistake, but Linus? it's not like GitHub is Linux only, i refuse to believe that he's never downloaded software from there before. 

She/Her

Do you want to play games on Linux?

Gecko Linux ( https://geckolinux.github.io ) is OpenSUSE Linux with all the non-free software already pre-installed and configured, including Steam Client.  All you need to do is install the Nvidia drivers, which can be done with your mouse pointer, just like Windows or the terminal (your choice). Here are the instructions if you need them ( https://opensuse.github.io/openSUSE-docs-revamped-temp/install_proprietary/ ).  I suggest the rolling release based on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed.

You can, of course, go directly to using OpenSUSE itself. I again suggest Tumbleweed since it will have all the latest software. You can, of course, use Leap, which is the non-rolling release. https://www.opensuse.org  In either case, you'll need to install a few things and configure some details, which is why I suggest Gecko, as they've done most of the work for you.

The advantage of SUSE Linux is they're the 3rd oldest continued distribution (behind only Slackware and Debian). They were the 1st commercial distribution (over a decade before Red Hat). Even today, they still offer a paid distro, SUSE Enterprise Linux.  They have been around for 30 years, and their development is solid. OpenSUSE is their upstream for their Enterprise builds.