11 Things I Hate About Windows 11

Plouffe

Some of us at the office have been daily driving Windows 11 for a few weeks now and it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Come check out some of the biggest issues we've been running into.

Buy Windows 11
On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/0Qz8qh
On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/E9teUAx

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

I still haven't bothered to switch to Windows 11, it looks to me like it got rushed out and they're still ironing things out. There isn't exactly a compelling reason to switch other than the fact that Microsoft is going to drop support for W10 in like 4 years.

The driver downgrading issue I've had since Windows 10. Installed brand new drivers for my GTX 980 back then. And Windows would just suddenly decide to downgrade them to several months old version. Nothing helped, not even cleaning with DDU as it broke things even further. I just had to persistently installing them over until it "stick". Same issue I had with GTX 1080Ti later. To my surprise, I haven't had this issue on Windows 11.

It gets better. On my new laptop, if I open a folder full of photos, browse through it and then close it, Windows's infinite wisdom decides to just have "Shell Infrastructure Host" eat all my CPU cycles. And it just fucking never stops. Until you restart the system. WHY?!

Further SUPER annoying thing is that you just can't drag and activate windows in taskbar anymore. You have Paint.NET open, but it's under bunch of other windows? Before you just dragged a picture to Paint.NET taskbar button and it would bring it to front and then you drop the photo in it. Now it just does NOTHING. It just shows you a red crossed circle. WHY?!

Or the "new" right click menu on desktop? Guess what, that dumb thing extends to right click on ANY file too. If I want to compress files with 7-zip, I need to make additional extra step to get old context menu and to make matters worse, it usually opens in opposing direction of original (new) context menu. So not only I need to make additional click, I also have to move mouse twice as further. WHY?!

Removing Task Manager from task bar right click was also stupid idea. You could access it ANYWHERE on empty task bar. Now I always have to move all the way to the left to access Task Manager. But why don't you use it center you say? Well, because then I have to chase fucking Start button because it has no stopping point. Left bottom corner, you just move mouse. Even if you move it "past it", corner stops mouse. With center, you literally have to chase it with precision. WHY?!

Another thing I absolutely despise is forced mandatory compact taskbar buttons and forced mandatory merging of windows. I have a 27" 1440p display and now I have my taskbar entirely empty 99% of the time because all the taskbar windows are all squares and not only that, they are stacked. In Windows 10 I always used "don't shrink" task bar buttons and not to merge them. It only sort of kind of became a slight inconvenience when I had browser, image editor, video player and 30 images open. Now it's pain in the ass all the time because if I have 10 images open, I have to make additional step of "unmerging" stupid combined windows via popup. And if you miss any of it it all closes and you have to repeat it all. WHY?!

Oh and about that taskbar overflow? I don't want anything tucked under additional god damn submenu or popup. And there is NO way to enforce it. Anything new appears there it's stuffed in the overflow. And you have to go to main taskbar overflow behavior settings and allow it. And lets don't mention the fact I have that list littered with duplicated or triplicated entries with identical name. I have no god damn clue what is what now. WHY?!

Remember that "Weather widget" Microsoft stuck in taskbar back in Windows 10? I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't designed by a literal moron. If it was just weather and I'd pick something I'm actually interested in, I might have used the feature here and there. Instead every time you passed with mouse over it it opened a god awful panel filled with garbage "news" I'm not interested in the slightest. And when I tried "Personalizing" it, I was forced to remove hundreds of "sources" and shit still wouldn't clear up. So I disabled that crap entirely. Fast forward to Windows 11 and this thing is now under Widgets panel. I have NO sources/interests selected. The panel is 50 billion kilometers long and just scrolls into infinity, yet again filled with garbage I don't care about. Opening Personalize panel and everything is unticked. Even if I select just 1 source/interest, I still have the same damn widget page with all the junk I don't care about, it's just that item I selected now on top instead of who knows where in those 50 billion kilometers long list. At least now it doesn't open by just hovering over it. But since it's so useless because of all the junk on it I just disabled it entirely. WHY?!

Why Microsoft? Why do you have to make so many so moronic design decisions. And for what? Literally nothing got actually improved. Maybe window snapping when multi windows are opened. And that's about it. Literally everything else is dumber, clumsier, takes more steps and it's just frigging irritating. God damn. It seems designing software these days literally requires ZERO critical thinking in advance. You just throw shit at users and look at telemetry to see what piece of feces sticks to something. And I have a feeling they can't even read telemetry right or something.

It'll get better over time, I know that as Windows 10 was pile of shit in the beginning too, but why is all this necessary!? Why make dumb controversial and annoying changes and then revert them instead of leaving it as it was in Windows 10 and slowly add useful features that work, don't break anything and excite users instead of irritating them? Why not bolt the new file management quick actions on top of existing right click context menu instead of replacing it with a dumber version just for that?

1 hour ago, r821e228 said:

That broken windows joke was terrific 🤣

indeed my drilla

1 hour ago, r821e228 said:

That broken windows joke was terrific 🤣

His jokes are so jarring, like shut the f*** up.

so where does the data to the widgets come from or to, and is there any choice in the matter? thanks facebook, I mean microsoft.

also how come every microsoft software is just plain broken? might have used them on windows 7, but further into windows 12... I would not see a reason why one should accept their software and when they lock it as well. makes school and other stuff such a chore, many complaints from parents rather wanting to use google devices (chrome OS?) or apple.

Speaking of intel chip bugs. I found out if your MOBO has a intelbluetooth chip, something windows 11 does can cause it to turn off and on more or less repeatedly. A super helpful person her pointed me to usbdev. And I can disable it. but that doesn't to the root of the issue. Googling around this is a bug that was patched in windows 10. But now can show up again. The only fix? turning the computers power. I personally had to turn it off over night.

Since MS has a ungodly number of R&D people, and has a tight bromance with intel, how would that type of bug  get overlooked in beta?

On the UX side: Ever since Windows 10: their is no good way to do the 3 finger salute a program. I think that has to do with the NT core, the deets of what that's the case go over my head. But the fact that you could do that, at least sometimes in Windows 7 just boggles.

Also for just bad UX: Have to insteal peazip to install to a folder, the extended right click is gone, searching for a app on your computer? you meant to search the internet right?  meenwhile  a small set of guys made a fantastic app called everything does search computer and 10 times faster than windows itself does...that's just sad. 

Watching this on a Windows 7 machine with a massive grin 😁😁😁

1- Expiring certificates aren't just a problem with Windows. Firefox had a major SNAFU a while back where an expired certificate rendered it useless as well. While Mozilla did eventually fix it, it took a workaround from an end user to get the thing working again for those who desperately needed it (ie. use it on a daily basis for important financial work) while the idiots at Mozilla took their sweet time.

2 - Not necessary with Windows 7. Once activated with a key (and I have many) it can work offline perfectly fine. Those activation servers are probably no longer online though, so a reimage or registry hack is the only way to get a copy working right now.

3 - Not an issue with Windows 7. Heck, it hasn't looked for GPU driver updates in a VERY long time. GFE will occasionally still nag me for a fresh driver, but given the age of the hardware I have and compatibility issues with the older OS I ignore it.

3.5 - Never had a problem with explorer.exe crashing either. If it does it's because some wired game behaved badly, but killing the task and restarting it fixes it.

4 - I use a desktop gadget called XWidget for Windows - you can find it on Steam. I went here after using both the Windows 7 built-in weather widget that no longer worked and after the HTC Home desktop widget stopped working for me too. I actually customized the widget I have to make it look similar to the HTC one because I liked it so much. It shows me the day/date/time/city/weather and I even tacked on a seconds ticker as well to stop me from going mad when the system freezes with no indication LOL. It is incredibly customizable and a tool I can seriously recommend. For system hardware monitoring I use the HWinfo gadget that I've also set up to show me the vitals I need.

4.5 - For those times when I can't see a clock when I am full screen I have the LCD attachment on my K95 keyboard, and in case THAT FREEZES I have the clock on my ROG front bay panel. Call it crazy clock redundancy idiot clock overkill - I'm loving it!!!

5 - Not an issue as I am rocking an older HEDT platform.

6 - Don't use multi monitor.

7 - Never have migrated installs. I always do a clean install.

8 - I've manually placed most of the icons that I use here. Windows 7 still lets you manage these along with notifications.

9 - 789. I see what you did there 🤣

10 - One of the nicer graphical appeals for me of Vista/7 was those rounded corners. When 8/8.1 eliminated that I knew I would be hunting for a 3rd party fix... and another reason why I stuck with 7. Yeah you can skin Windows, but why remove a feature that was there previously... and now bring it back x years later?!?! If it ain't broke don't fix it.

10.5 - No issues for me with Windows 7

It's good that I don't have a need to be shopping for a new PC or laptop right now because I would hate to be a beta tester for Microsoft with my money. Hang on to that system upgrade for 6 more months or just wait with that new purchase.

Widget clock.PNG

Widget system.PNG

IMG_2514[1].JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

5 hours ago, Jeskspie said:

His jokes are so jarring, like shut the f*** up.

But where else do you put pickles, if not in a jar.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The driver downgrading issue I've had since Windows 10. Installed brand new drivers for my GTX 980 back then. And Windows would just suddenly decide to downgrade them to several months old version. Nothing helped, not even cleaning with DDU as it broke things even further. I just had to persistently installing them over until it "stick". Same issue I had with GTX 1080Ti later. To my surprise, I haven't had this issue on Windows 11.

It gets better. On my new laptop, if I open a folder full of photos, browse through it and then close it, Windows's infinite wisdom decides to just have "Shell Infrastructure Host" eat all my CPU cycles. And it just fucking never stops. Until you restart the system. WHY?!

Further SUPER annoying thing is that you just can't drag and activate windows in taskbar anymore. You have Paint.NET open, but it's under bunch of other windows? Before you just dragged a picture to Paint.NET taskbar button and it would bring it to front and then you drop the photo in it. Now it just does NOTHING. It just shows you a red crossed circle. WHY?!

Or the "new" right click menu on desktop? Guess what, that dumb thing extends to right click on ANY file too. If I want to compress files with 7-zip, I need to make additional extra step to get old context menu and to make matters worse, it usually opens in opposing direction of original (new) context menu. So not only I need to make additional click, I also have to move mouse twice as further. WHY?!

Removing Task Manager from task bar right click was also stupid idea. You could access it ANYWHERE on empty task bar. Now I always have to move all the way to the left to access Task Manager. But why don't you use it center you say? Well, because then I have to chase fucking Start button because it has no stopping point. Left bottom corner, you just move mouse. Even if you move it "past it", corner stops mouse. With center, you literally have to chase it with precision. WHY?!

Another thing I absolutely despise is forced mandatory compact taskbar buttons and forced mandatory merging of windows. I have a 27" 1440p display and now I have my taskbar entirely empty 99% of the time because all the taskbar windows are all squares and not only that, they are stacked. In Windows 10 I always used "don't shrink" task bar buttons and not to merge them. It only sort of kind of became a slight inconvenience when I had browser, image editor, video player and 30 images open. Now it's pain in the ass all the time because if I have 10 images open, I have to make additional step of "unmerging" stupid combined windows via popup. And if you miss any of it it all closes and you have to repeat it all. WHY?!

Oh and about that taskbar overflow? I don't want anything tucked under additional god damn submenu or popup. And there is NO way to enforce it. Anything new appears there it's stuffed in the overflow. And you have to go to main taskbar overflow behavior settings and allow it. And lets don't mention the fact I have that list littered with duplicated or triplicated entries with identical name. I have no god damn clue what is what now. WHY?!

Remember that "Weather widget" Microsoft stuck in taskbar back in Windows 10? I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't designed by a literal moron. If it was just weather and I'd pick something I'm actually interested in, I might have used the feature here and there. Instead every time you passed with mouse over it it opened a god awful panel filled with garbage "news" I'm not interested in the slightest. And when I tried "Personalizing" it, I was forced to remove hundreds of "sources" and shit still wouldn't clear up. So I disabled that crap entirely. Fast forward to Windows 11 and this thing is now under Widgets panel. I have NO sources/interests selected. The panel is 50 billion kilometers long and just scrolls into infinity, yet again filled with garbage I don't care about. Opening Personalize panel and everything is unticked. Even if I select just 1 source/interest, I still have the same damn widget page with all the junk I don't care about, it's just that item I selected now on top instead of who knows where in those 50 billion kilometers long list. At least now it doesn't open by just hovering over it. But since it's so useless because of all the junk on it I just disabled it entirely. WHY?!

Why Microsoft? Why do you have to make so many so moronic design decisions. And for what? Literally nothing got actually improved. Maybe window snapping when multi windows are opened. And that's about it. Literally everything else is dumber, clumsier, takes more steps and it's just frigging irritating. God damn. It seems designing software these days literally requires ZERO critical thinking in advance. You just throw shit at users and look at telemetry to see what piece of feces sticks to something. And I have a feeling they can't even read telemetry right or something.

It'll get better over time, I know that as Windows 10 was pile of shit in the beginning too, but why is all this necessary!? Why make dumb controversial and annoying changes and then revert them instead of leaving it as it was in Windows 10 and slowly add useful features that work, don't break anything and excite users instead of irritating them? Why not bolt the new file management quick actions on top of existing right click context menu instead of replacing it with a dumber version just for that?

It'll get better over time: Famous last words!

13 minutes ago, Gork said:

But where else do you put pickles, if not in a jar.

I know a girl who could answer that question for you, but she only handles big ones 🥒😎

I hate the rounded corners and the fact that right clicking stuff brings up less options. What kind of stuff do you people dislike about win11?

There was something about folders. When you open explorer, does it still just show a regular folder icon instead of a folder with a preview of the files inside it?

1 hour ago, iLikeBananas said:

I hate the rounded corners and the fact that right clicking stuff brings up less options. What kind of stuff do you people dislike about win11?

There was something about folders. When you open explorer, does it still just show a regular folder icon instead of a folder with a preview of the files inside it?

or doesn't refresh at all, still leaks ram like a siv?

Besides the disability to look at your clock on every monitor, the fact that when I click the Start button on the secondary monitor, all Start button will stop working, and the coverage of the snipping tool like this one annoy me so much.

IMG20211121143422.thumb.jpg.5b1b2dac64ca37d6d0ade78f55c495fa.jpg

16 hours ago, RejZoR said:

ion just for that?

Never experienced this. Have you tired disabling automatic driver installation? (yes it will still install the driver package from the image). But after installing new drivers nothing is touched.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Windows 8++

20 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I agree with those points. Now that I have several monitors I do it less, but I sometimes drag files into the taskbar too and it would annoy me if it didn't bring the program to the front.

wincunt_slowing_down_pc.png.09647231e74032498b7fb76ed4c3c547.png

I love how I was playing a game and WinSh  windows "had to" update. to do what? be even more janky? "great"

10 hours ago, Gork said:

windows "had to" update

Could have been worse, could have not given you a choice.

But I agree, it's BS that Windows does that.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The notification is also an issue with Windows 10, not sure where it is in Windows 11, but in Win10, in the Settings > System > Focus Assist

Enable it, and down the list, you'll have "When I'm playing a game", turn it on, then click on it and uncheck the box "show a notification in action center when focus assist is turned on"

That should fix those notifications when you're playing.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

• 3 weeks later...