Is an RX 470 8 GB Worth Mining on?

I have a spare MSI RX 470 8 GB Gaming X GPU and am wondering if I should use it to mine with? I am mainly concerned that it will use more power draw than it is worth.

6 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

I have a spare MSI RX 470 8 GB Gaming X GPU and am wondering if I should use it to mine with? I am mainly concerned that it will use more power draw than it is worth.

WhatToMine gives you a good approximation in what you should mine with your setup, and if its worthwhile to do so.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

WhatToMine gives you a good approximation in what you should mine with your setup, and if its worthwhile to do so.

I am not seeing the RX 470 8 GB listed on the website. Just the 4 GB model, and my understanding is that the amount of VRAM matters.

51 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

A 480 8GB is slightly more powerful and is only slightly profitable last time I looked into it.

It is possible that it can still turn a slight profit because the RX 480 draws 150 watts and the 470 110 watts.

9 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

It is possible that it can still turn a slight profit because the RX 480 draws 150 watts and the 470 110 watts.

Really depends on what you are trying to mine. Its going to be probably at best a 10% difference. Unless you are going to mine an easy coin, it's not worth it with a single 470. If you had 4 or 5 it would be worth doing. A single 470 is going to net you a few bucks a month. 

If you're worried about power consumption just reduce the power limit in afterburner or undervolt. You might as well mine Ethereum while it's still possible.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:12 AM, BiotechBen said:

Really depends on what you are trying to mine. Its going to be probably at best a 10% difference. Unless you are going to mine an easy coin, it's not worth it with a single 470. If you had 4 or 5 it would be worth doing. A single 470 is going to net you a few bucks a month. 

This is way off target. idk what an "easy coin" is, but eth is easily the most profitable for non-zombie cards. Their card would earn at least fifty bucks a month in profit.

it's not worth it with a single 470. If you had 4 or 5 it would be worth doing

wut

it's passive income, how is it not worth it? and mining profitability doesn't scale exponentially with hashrate, if it's not worth it with one, it's not worth it with five.

10 hours ago, Kloud said:

If you're worried about power consumption just reduce the power limit in afterburner or undervolt. You might as well mine Ethereum while it's still possible.

This is way off target. idk what an "easy coin" is, but eth is easily the most profitable for non-zombie cards. Their card would earn at least fifty bucks a month in profit.

wut

it's passive income, how is it not worth it? and mining profitability doesn't scale exponentially with hashrate, if it's not worth it with one, it's not worth it with five.

1 @ $40 ish (depending on cost of electricity)

vs 

5 @ $40ish each = $200 

eth will also be moving to proof of stake vs proof of work sooner rather than later, so there's that to consider. 

On 11/18/2021 at 10:35 PM, BiotechBen said:

1 @ $40 ish (depending on cost of electricity)

vs 

5 @ $40ish each = $200 

Yes, but cost scales equally. If electricity costs you $50 for one, it'll cost you $250 for 5, so if 1 card is losing you money, 5 cards will be losing you 5 times as much and will still not be profitable.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 11/14/2021 at 1:04 AM, BiotechBen said:

A 480 8GB is slightly more powerful and is only slightly profitable last time I looked into it.

nope, theres a big diffrence between the 2: 

image.png.38f60e7cc7e74132c991b9ebaf1ab99e.png

i would say its worth it, buying one right now to mine on is meh but if you already have one i dont see why you wouldnt mine on it.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#