What do you have in your "Home Theater" ?

I live with my parents, so I have my setup crammed in my bedroom. It consists of a 32" 720p Samsung TV. A 4K Fire Stick (its a bit more responsive then the lower end model). I have a 2.1 Logitech PC speakers connected to it via RCA, and I have Samsung S7 Earbuds connected to the speakers and thats how I get sound. I also have my Plex server connected to it for the purpose of ad free Youtube. I dont use the Plex server as a total HTPC because Linux and Streaming services are kinda Meh, as there always have some bull shit DRM that wont work at all or have restrictions on resolution. 

Have been considering an upgrade but I haven't done anything. I find the world of TV's confusing with all the new standards. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Ayre K3 Preamplifier (with amazing Phono section)
Audio Analogue Donizetti Power Amplifier
Martin Logan Source loudspeakers on SSC feet (without those it's all boomy and hollow and muddy. This room usually has NO low end, but the ML's overdo it)
Micro Seiki BL51 record player with MA707 arm and Goldring 2500 cartridge
Yamaha WXAD10 Streamer (after getting annoyed with the way better sounding Cambridge CXN, will upgrade at some point but it's fine for now)
Tascam DA3000 digital record (for high-res digitising of vinyl records)
Akai GX-32 cassette deck (changes regularly, it's usually a Nakamichi or some Denon but the GX32 is a lovely affordable machine)
Cables are homebrew, power cables too. Speaker cables are Dynaudio Ocos, the whole rig is running from its own phase, group and fuse. 
The "HT" part is limited, as I am not a big 'T' guy. There's an oldie 720p Acer projector that still works fine, a 2.11 meters wide screen hanging from the ceiling.
In my attic is an i3 4th gen Dell Optiplex USDT PC that just runs Windows 10. Both that and the projector are connected to a light switch so I can power them on from my living room. There's a logitech unifying receiver on top of the projector so I can use it with a logitech K400. Mostly using it to watch Dr. Who with the girlfriend, sometimes to watch a live gig of sorts or catch up on YouTube channels if I have friends over who have mutual YouTube habits. And then there's  playing Geoguessr with friends :D. 

3 hours ago, s_k said:

Ayre K3 Preamplifier (with amazing Phono section)
Audio Analogue Donizetti Power Amplifier
Martin Logan Source loudspeakers on SSC feet (without those it's all boomy and hollow and muddy. This room usually has NO low end, but the ML's overdo it)
Micro Seiki BL51 record player with MA707 arm and Goldring 2500 cartridge
Yamaha WXAD10 Streamer (after getting annoyed with the way better sounding Cambridge CXN, will upgrade at some point but it's fine for now)
Tascam DA3000 digital record (for high-res digitising of vinyl records)
Akai GX-32 cassette deck (changes regularly, it's usually a Nakamichi or some Denon but the GX32 is a lovely affordable machine)
Cables are homebrew, power cables too. Speaker cables are Dynaudio Ocos, the whole rig is running from its own phase, group and fuse. 
The "HT" part is limited, as I am not a big 'T' guy. There's an oldie 720p Acer projector that still works fine, a 2.11 meters wide screen hanging from the ceiling.
In my attic is an i3 4th gen Dell Optiplex USDT PC that just runs Windows 10. Both that and the projector are connected to a light switch so I can power them on from my living room. There's a logitech unifying receiver on top of the projector so I can use it with a logitech K400. Mostly using it to watch Dr. Who with the girlfriend, sometimes to watch a live gig of sorts or catch up on YouTube channels if I have friends over who have mutual YouTube habits. And then there's  playing Geoguessr with friends :D. 

That is like 90% audio and 10% visual.  I'm like almost the inverse of that, but hey--each to his own.

If you want some suggestions for a "T" upgrade, hit me up.  I'm a born-again believe in the virtues of a UST to replace the living room TV.

Makes sense. I listen to music all the time and barely watch movies. Virtually never when I'm alone, really. 
The home theater is just a PC, a projector and a screen. It's all hooked up to this audio rig though and it sounds better than any cinema that I've been at, so at least there's that :D. 

20 hours ago, IPD said:

Could always go cheap with an AAXA M7 and a budget screen.  ^

Ive look at projectors. The issue is the limited inputs, I have at least 4 HDMI devices id like to hook up and I dont want to also have to buy a costly HDMI switcher as I heard the cheaper ones are garbage. Second you need a good place for the projector. My TV sits at the foot of my bed, I have no place to put the projector as Im not allowed to drill holes, so ceiling mounting is out of the question. 

Cheap camera tripod. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-52-Aluminum-Camera-Smartphone-Tripod-Adjustable-Height-Light-Weight-w-Mounts-for-SLR-Camera-Smartphone-GoPro/549996541

AAXA's will all mount to one just like an SLR does.

I've had no issues with my HDMI switch, but maybe someone with more experience/use/review expertise can chime in on that.

1 hour ago, IPD said:

Cheap camera tripod. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Onn-52-Aluminum-Camera-Smartphone-Tripod-Adjustable-Height-Light-Weight-w-Mounts-for-SLR-Camera-Smartphone-GoPro/549996541

AAXA's will all mount to one just like an SLR does.

I've had no issues with my HDMI switch, but maybe someone with more experience/use/review expertise can chime in on that.

Like I said, its at the foot of my bed. I have no way of putting a tripod behind the bed. Also HDMI switches create input lag, I have things like Nintendo Switches and computers I like to plug in on occasion. Dont want extra input lag with gaming. 

• 10 months later...

Well if you HAVE to have multiple row seating, options with stadium heights will be ideal.  Seatcraft does a pretty damn good job of this, imho.  Example:

https://www.seatcraft.com/theater-seating/seatcraft/rialto-front-row/

https://www.seatcraft.com/theater-seating/seatcraft/rialto/

https://www.seatcraft.com/theater-seating/seatcraft/rialto-back-row/

YMMV.  Strip lighting at the base is also a nice feature to have.  Some people also like them to have charging ports so they can power phones, remotes, etc.  Space for a butt-shaker (or options for them built in)  is also a plus--if you want to add that feature.

I personally am more likely to look at a multimedia sofa of some type--as I like the idea of using my seating as a regular sofa, laying crosswise on it, being able to snuggle up to the missus without an armrest in between, etc.  Seatcraft does make some like this too.

https://www.seatcraft.com/sectionals/sectionals/seatcraft-colosseum-multimedia-furniture/

---

My personal #1 thing I'm interested in (albeit they don't have it available in black) is the Catnapper Voyager.

https://www.discountlivingrooms.com/catnapper-voyager-lay-flat-reclining-sofa-with-drop-down-table-in-slate.html?___SID=U

As near as I can tell, this is the only triple reclining, drop-down tabletop sofa anywhere on the market.  Granted, this doesn't have bouji power outlets and stuff.  There is a powered version of it (if power-recline is important to you).  There's a wedge, recliner and loveseat available in this set--if you want to match it to other seating.

I like the idea of being able to have all 3 sections reline, and being able to use the middle one as a table for a "theater seating" style console.

recliner wise. you get what you pay for.
ive done 300 dollar cheap to 1500 la-z boy.
la-z boy lasted the longest. and stayed comfortable

all the others lasted maybe a year before seats started breaking down.

another thing to consider, weight..im 250 and only the la-z boy didnt break down. one my wife liked (simmons store) was like 800. the seat broke down after a year, turned hard as hell and she barely weighed over a 100lbs.

been expensive going the recliner route but its what best suited the room set up over couch styles

I've had a berkeline (sp) since 2008 or so.  Probably wouldn't have gotten that brand if I'd known they'd be bankrupt in only a couple years.  Still, 14 years on, it's still great.  I wasn't exactly gung-ho on spending $2100 for a sectional, but it's clearly been worth the cost.  In all that time, the most I can say is that:

-The plastic shroud on one seat is buckled, and you have to manually align it to lower the recliner to close

-Fabric isn't as well glued to the substrate as new--but isn't tearing--and you can't tell unless you've been seated for hours

-Armrests were never well padded to begin with--but a couple large pillows on top of them means that I never notice

-Padding on the footrest is definitely crushed down in the middle

But after moving it to 3 different houses (not to mention when I've re-arranged it inside a house)--It's held up remarkably well.  Damn shame they don't make these anymore.  It's such a good sofa.