Lock/move messages for threads instead of mod replies

RockSolid1106

I changed the title.

Quite a few mods have many badges and stuff below their profile when they post a message. So, every time they post a one liner message about a thread move or lock, that eats up a lot of space.

Take this LogicalDrm's post for example. It was just a one liner post, but due to his badges, and other stuff under his profile, it eats up a lot more space than what is needed.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a77f288b7b0f46fd5e8b69390eb763d5.png

WHAT COULD BE DONE:

I've made up some little message boxes which can indicate a move or lock of a thread. Similar ones could be implemented.

Thread lock:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.302035a326215c0c30c1a2bc69198edf.png

Thread move:

With Remark

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.be1f53dfe39d9b4b89f97beda49c8bd2.png

Without remark

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4b6141ca3372f8201399328e40c388c4.png

As you can see, these move messages can be made pretty small, which otherwise would take up quite a bit of space.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a77f288b7b0f46fd5e8b69390eb763d5.png

As a bonus, this could be automated. So every time a moderator moves a thread, this will automatically show up on the page, rather than the mod having to create a new reply, "Moved to ____".

This also makes the moderation action messages a bit distinct and not just the normal replies. If the mods have something else to say(unrelated to the moderation action), they can obviously just create a new reply.

Edited by RockSolid1106
Changed title

"Coding skill isn’t about knowing how to make things; It’s about being able to find the right Stack Overflow code to copy paste."

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

21 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Why does the height matter, especially for locks?

Locks, really no, would just look nicer. 

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

This is something we moderators would like too. Along with sending OP notification with action so we don't need to send PMs.

Also removes the possibility of newbies marking moderation messages as solution? Have seen that a lot.

"Coding skill isn’t about knowing how to make things; It’s about being able to find the right Stack Overflow code to copy paste."

VPN Server Guide

regarding moving threads

is there any ability for you mods to see  something like " 3 people are actively typing a response to this thread" when you try to move a thread to another category?  Or ideally queue/move thread only when there's no such activity detected anymore.

Happened to me at least 3 times in the past that I was actively writing a post (ex build suggestions) spending 5-10 minutes and when I hit post, the thread was moved and all I wrote is basically gone, because you can't hit BACK to copy all the text and post it again

The "post/thread has moved" is treatedby the forum  as a "fatal error" while it should be a "warning" and maybe offer to continue posting (dump the previously entered text into comment box)

If you see "x people are writing a reply" at least you could wait a bit until things settle down, to move thread and not screw people writing long posts.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

regarding moving threads

is there any ability for you mods to see  something like " 3 people are actively typing a response to this thread" when you try to move a thread to another category?  Or ideally queue/move thread only when there's no such activity detected anymore.

Happened to me at least 3 times in the past that I was actively writing a post (ex build suggestions) spending 5-10 minutes and when I hit post, the thread was moved and all I wrote is basically gone, because you can't hit BACK to copy all the text and post it again

The "post/thread has moved" is treatedby the forum  as a "fatal error" while it should be a "warning" and maybe offer to continue posting (dump the previously entered text into comment box)

If you see "x people are writing a reply" at least you could wait a bit until things settle down, to move thread and not screw people writing long posts.

Might be better if this had it's own thread, this isn't related to my suggestion at all.

VPN Server Guide

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

No. But what you are describing sounds like a bug. As post progress should save while moving is done. And save per thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 minutes ago, RockSolid1106 said:

Might be better if this had it's own thread, this isn't related to my suggestion at all.

Sorry, didn't realize it's one thread for each specific issue. Title says "improve .." and this would be an improvement.

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

No. But what you are describing sounds like a bug. As post progress should save while moving is done. And save per thread.

Maybe I'm not remembering it properly?  Maybe it was a merge of two threads and not a move?  Happened last Monday with this thread :

For moved topics, is there any benefit of having the moderator note be in line with the replies and positioned based on when the post was moved? I don't think it really matters when it was moved. The note could be placed anywhere on the page, such as directly below the OP or above it. There's already messages moderators can pin to the top of threads, similar in appearance to the examples you have given, however these are typically reserved for important notices and I don't want to lessen their importance by overusing them for minor issues such as threads being moved. It also, by design, really stands out and puts a lot of emphasis on the fact that moderators have taken action on the thread, which I don't think is necessary for this. I don't like bringing unnecessary attention to the fact that it has been moved, beyond notifying the OP and allowing them to find their topic after it has been moved. I find it's usually better if the discussion just continues on as normal as if nothing has happened.

In this regard the self-destructing "Topic moved to subforum" messages left in the original subforum the thread was moved from are better, however they do have their own problem in that it can cause a lot of clutter in the subforum threads were moved from, especially in General Discussion which sees a large amount of posts moved each day.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/884563-the-ability-to-hide-moved-threads

One benefit of having messages from moderators be posts is they can be reported. People do sometimes report the moderator's message to appeal a lock/move.

It'd really be nice if people just posted in the correct subforum in the first place. 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Maybe I'm not remembering it properly?  Maybe it was a merge of two threads and not a move?  Happened last Monday with this thread :

That thread has not been moved or merged. The poster had an identical thread posted minutes after that thread which was removed. It's likely you were attempting to post a reply to the duplicate thread which was removed. When you tried to reply you would have received an error for attempting to reply to a thread which had been removed. Unfortunately locking the the duplicate thread and I believe also merging it in to the original thread would have given an error as well.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450