Can I use my Thunderbolt laptop as a screen recorder for my PC?

Isunvi

I'd like to know if it's possible to connect my laptop to the Thunderbolt port on my GPU and use it as a recorder, so I can record my gameplays with my laptop.聽

Idk if I made myself clear... I hope so

If it's useful I have an Nvidia 2070 and Thunderbolt 4 Windows laptop

Thanks guys 馃檪

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You would need a capture card to do this The ports are made to work as a video output, not input.

first of all thanks for answering!聽

yeah but technically the port in the GPU is a video output, and the thunderbolt port on the laptop can both receive and send information, being used聽as an output or input, like for example an external hard drive

so it'd make sense if you could be able to use it as a video input right?聽

thanks again 馃檪

Just now, Isunvi said:

first of all thanks for answering!聽

yeah but technically the port in the GPU is a video output, and the thunderbolt port on the laptop can both receive and send information, being used聽as an output or input, like for example an external hard drive

so it'd make sense if you could be able to use it as a video input right?聽

thanks again 馃檪

Well the fun part is it has a lot of different ways of sending data. Some can send only(like video) and some are both ways.聽

Normally when your doing video, its just putting displayport or hdmi data over the cable, and its not really the thunderbolt pcie data. So its send only for video, but send/recieve for most other things like usb and pcie devices.

The port on the GPU isn't thunderbolt, it's USB-C with DisplayPort alt mode. That means what it sends can't be received by a Thunderbolt controller.

If both were Thunderbolt then yes in theory the data could be read by the laptop, but then there likely wouldn't be a path fast enough in the laptop to get the display data from there to the screen, or software to achieve that.聽

F@H
Desktop:聽i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0,聽Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO,聽Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro聽RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan),聽Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I don't think they are TB4 ports on GPUs, I'd say similar to what Kilrah said.

As said by Wizard, if you do have a TB4 port, it can only capture using a capture card. Like the Ultra Studio 3G Recorder (I think)

Then you'd be able to capture using the TB4.

Btw, TB usually has a lightning symbol and then the generation number next to them.