Can't see other PCs with a router, but can with a switch

NecroFlex
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
1 minute ago, NecroFlex said:

Ok, i just had it laying in a drawer so i used it, didn't want to go out a buy a new one if i already had one there 馃檪

Yea then just don't use the wan/internet port and turn off dhcp and your good.

So i'm installing a router at a friends place, he's got a switch atm and he can see the PCs he has in that office and a few more that are connected directly to the modem. He also has a shortcut to a "server" PC which he runs a software off of.

Problem is, when i switched his...switch for a router so he could connect to it and use the wired printer on his phone/laptops, only the devices connected directly to the router showed, so the office PCs and the printer. The server wasn't seen (yes, network sharing was enabled) and a few other things weren't seen either, the ones connected directly to the modem.

If i connected the router to the switch to try and still use the printer over wifi, i was unable to, it wasn't seen at all.

My question is, can that be changed in the router so everything can be seen or do i need another solution?

Can you make a network diagram?

Are you using the wan port or lan ports on it? What is connected ot the wan port?

Are the systems on the same subnet? Can they ping each other?

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you make a network diagram?

Are you using the wan port or lan ports on it? What is connected ot the wan port?

Are the systems on the same subnet? Can they ping each other?

Not at his workplace anymore, will be tomorrow, but yes, the main internet was through the WAN connection, the other 4 were fully occupied by the PCs. If that is the issue, i can disconnect the printer and connect it wirelessly?

EDIT: I used the Asus RT-N12 D1 router, nothing special

31 minutes ago, NecroFlex said:

Not at his workplace anymore, will be tomorrow, but yes, the main internet was through the WAN connection, the other 4 were fully occupied by the PCs. If that is the issue, i can disconnect the printer and connect it wirelessly?

EDIT: I used the Asus RT-N12 D1 router, nothing special

Yea thats how a router will work. With nat, you will be on a different subnet than the modems network, so you can't see the devices. You can make sures if you want to send data to them.

Why did you all a router, what is your goal with it?

17 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea thats how a router will work. With nat, you will be on a different subnet than the modems network, so you can't see the devices. You can make sures if you want to send data to them.

Why did you all a router, what is your goal with it?

Ok so if i connect the main ethernet plug to one of the other 4 "normal" ports, it'll work just fine?

Not sure what you mean with that last question? If you mean why i'm using a router, it's to have Wifi in that office while being able to have all the devices use the connected printer.

Ok so if i connect the main ethernet plug to one of the other 4 "normal" ports, it'll work just fine?

Not sure what you mean with that last question? If you mean why i'm using a router, it's to have Wifi in that office while being able to have all the devices use the connected printer.

IIf you want wifi, you want a wifi ap, not a router.

But yea, don't use the want port(and turn of the dhcp server) and your basically got just a wifi ap here.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

IIf you want wifi, you want a wifi ap, not a router.

But yea, don't use the want port(and turn of the dhcp server) and your basically got just a wifi ap here.

Ok, i just had it laying in a drawer so i used it, didn't want to go out a buy a new one if i already had one there 馃檪

Yea then just don't use the wan/internet port and turn off dhcp and your good.