Laptop Memory Frequency dropped to 2133 from 2400 after installing a new sodimm module

John The Bag

As the title says, my laptop memory frequency dropped to 2133 from 2400 after installing a new sodimm module.

The laptop in question is an Asus Vivobook X542U which has an Intel i5-7200u, 4gb 2400mhz ram (amount when I first bought it), and Geforce 940m.

When I first got new ram for the laptop, I added another 4 gb 2400 stick which made it 8 gb. The ram the laptop first came with was from Adata and the new one I added was from crucial. Both sticks are 2400 mhz upon booting up and checking task manager, the mhz was still at 2400.

And then a couple months later I decided to upgrade it further by adding another crucial stick but this time it was 8 gb 2400, so that it can be 12 gb of ram after. So then without thinking, I mistakenly removed the Adata module which said on its label (or something along the lines of), "Removing the module will void warranty".

Now I have both crucial modules in the board (12 gb 2400mhz), I boot up the laptop to see in task manager that the displayed frequency of the ram was 2133 instead of 2400.

I searched up the max mhz that the cpu can support and it said 2133 mhz.

So here I am wondering how the memory was able to run at 2400 when I first bought it and even after I added the first new stick of 4gb 2400, but drops to 2133 after I remove the original 4gb stick it came with.

Any thoughts? Or even ways to get the memory frequency back to 2400?

You probably got lucky buying both the laptop and the extra RAM at the same time. Most laptops can't deal with RAM of different timings and you probably ended up coincidentally getting a stick that ran at the same speed as your original stick. The new one probably doesn't run at exactly the same speed, so your laptop defaults to the lowest DDR4 standard that every DDR4 stick can do just to guarantee it works

Unless you have the ability to change your RAM speed manually in the BIOS I don't think you're going to be able to bring it back to 2400, but even then there's not much of a difference between 2133 and 2400.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

19 hours ago, IPD said:

xmp enable?

I will have to check on this when I get the laptop back because i got its hinges fixed since I haven't used it in a year and surprisingly the motherboard survived longer than the screen's hinges

19 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

You probably got lucky buying both the laptop and the extra RAM at the same time. Most laptops can't deal with RAM of different timings and you probably ended up coincidentally getting a stick that ran at the same speed as your original stick. The new one probably doesn't run at exactly the same speed, so your laptop defaults to the lowest DDR4 standard that every DDR4 stick can do just to guarantee it works

Unless you have the ability to change your RAM speed manually in the BIOS I don't think you're going to be able to bring it back to 2400, but even then there's not much of a difference between 2133 and 2400.

I'll see if theres anything in the bios i can change to get the speed back to 2400