Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Modmic worth it?

Masters2150

Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,
6 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

I was looking at the wireless one, but even the wired one for me is $70, seems like I'm farther ahead to get a different headset...

Yeah the wireless is pretty pricey. It really comes down to what you need the mic for if it's voice coms and recording or any sort of use where you need high quality audio recordings getting a quality standalone mic will be worth it. Getting a headset with a built in mic and the same or similar quality to your current headset will be pretty pricey. My usual recommendation for inexpensive but also high quality audio and microphone in a gaming headset is the Hyper Cloud II headset. From what I can see the $70 for a wired Modmic is still cheaper than buying a headset with a built in mic while getting the same audio quality as your current one. It's really up to you though. If you're only needing a mic for voice coms maybe find a cheap $20 standalone mic on amazon with good reviews and see if that works for what you need. 

I have a set of DT770 Pro headphones and I need a MIC. I looked into the ModMIC, BUT GOOD GOD IS IT EXPENSIVE! I'm thinking if it's more worth it to get a decent gaming headset than buying this thing.

Any thoughts?

Which Modmic are you looking at? If I remember correctly they're like $50 for the normal wired version, which to be fair isn't that expensive for a standalone mic let alone one with the sound quality they have and the way they mount to the headset. 

Main Desktop: CPU - I9-9900k @5ghz | Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3090 Gaming OC RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G - Deep Black 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Which Modmic are you looking at? If I remember correctly they're like $50 for the normal wired version, which to be fair isn't that expensive for a standalone mic let alone one with the sound quality they have and the way they mount to the headset. 

I was looking at the wireless one, but even the wired one for me is $70, seems like I'm farther ahead to get a different headset...

6 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

Yeah the wireless is pretty pricey. It really comes down to what you need the mic for if it's voice coms and recording or any sort of use where you need high quality audio recordings getting a quality standalone mic will be worth it. Getting a headset with a built in mic and the same or similar quality to your current headset will be pretty pricey. My usual recommendation for inexpensive but also high quality audio and microphone in a gaming headset is the Hyper Cloud II headset. From what I can see the $70 for a wired Modmic is still cheaper than buying a headset with a built in mic while getting the same audio quality as your current one. It's really up to you though. If you're only needing a mic for voice coms maybe find a cheap $20 standalone mic on amazon with good reviews and see if that works for what you need. 

Main Desktop: CPU - I9-9900k @5ghz | Mobo - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | GPU - Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3090 Gaming OC RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G - Deep Black 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

25 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Ya I'll probably get a cheap standalone. I only need it for discord. Though.....I wonder if I can get a cheap wireless mic and duct tape it to my headset

For sitting at a desk, a usb mic on a boom arm is pretty convenient. Always plugged in, you just swing it around when you're ready for chatting. Plenty of cheap kits on Amazon.

I do use a mod mic wired for xbox with some good headphones, and a wireless modmic for travel. Headsets just arent built to be durable in this day and age, and I like my gear to last.