Laptop SSD Price too good???

Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,
1 hour ago, ZeRedPanda said:

bro does hardcore Warzone gaming count as home use or does this move on to need Not Good For High End Games and if so how do i figure a way to get it less expensive any particular store or should i wait for Black Friday

You don't need a top of the line Nvme SSD for gaming, it's negligible even between a sata 2.5 SSD and an Nvme. Any SSD will work about the same. What are you referring to when you say you want an SSD that's good for high end games? All an SSD will affect is load times and the difference from one SSD to another regardless of quality or speed will be negligible. If you're looking for an SSD for a game drive you could realistically get a 2TB Samsung sata drive for maybe $50 or so more than that. Or even just get a Crucial P2 Nvme 1TB SSD for $84. It will not make a difference for games.

Ive been looking for a ssd for my msi laptop and ran across a peculiar deal on bestbuy SanDisk - Extreme PRO 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive with 3D NAND Technology seems to be so outrageously discounted that was like woah is that really that good of a deal can you guys give some info or something cause its very abnormal and now im seriously prepaired to buy it but dont know if its for real or not. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-pro-1tb-pcie-gen-3-x4-nvme-internal-solid-state-drive-with-3d-nand-technology/6253906.p?skuId=6253906

Seems to be about the normal price for that model and most mid-range 1TB Gen3 NVMes. It's not one of the expensive number-branded Samsung ones.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Seems about average to me.  That would be a crazy low price if it was SLC.  I'm assuming it's MLC, since I don't see any specs anywhere on MLC vs TLC (god I hope not QLC).  The SSD market is just as obfuscating and confusing as the display panel market--at times.

17 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Seems to be about the normal price for that model and most mid-range 1TB Gen3 NVMes. It's not one of the expensive number-branded Samsung ones.

then why was the origional price so high

25 minutes ago, ZeRedPanda said:

Ive been looking for a ssd for my msi laptop and ran across a peculiar deal on bestbuy SanDisk - Extreme PRO 1TB PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive with 3D NAND Technology seems to be so outrageously discounted that was like woah is that really that good of a deal can you guys give some info or something cause its very abnormal and now im seriously prepaired to buy it but dont know if its for real or not. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-extreme-pro-1tb-pcie-gen-3-x4-nvme-internal-solid-state-drive-with-3d-nand-technology/6253906.p?skuId=6253906

i just really need the best 1tb ssd prefurably under $130 that i can get for playing warzone, cold war, modern warfare, etc

would this be good or is this avg and if this is just avg then what would be best for me in this price range

Samsung EVO 980 Pro is probably top-end for home use (imho).  Sandisk is servicable.  Not good or bad.  Reliable and cheap (for the most part).

5 minutes ago, ZeRedPanda said:

Probably a release MSRP. If they retain the launch price being as high as it is it's probably more attractive to the casual onlooker as to why it's discounted "so much" now.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

8 minutes ago, IPD said:

Samsung EVO 980 Pro is probably top-end for home use (imho).  Sandisk is servicable.  Not good or bad.  Reliable and cheap (for the most part).

bro does hardcore Warzone gaming count as home use or does this move on to need Not Good For High End Games and if so how do i figure a way to get it less expensive any particular store or should i wait for Black Friday

21 minutes ago, ZeRedPanda said:

for gaming, the difference between cheap and expensive NVMe SSDs is not noticable

here's a comparison on pcpartpicker

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/internal-hard-drive/#f=122080&i=85&A=900000000000,18000000000000&sort=price&page=1

the Crucial P2 is a good, inexpensive option

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Looks like BestBuy just re-using the original MSRP when it released in 2018.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandisk-extreme-pro-m.2-nvme-3d-ssd,5538.html

Pricing, Warranty, & Endurance

SanDisk covers the new Extreme Pro NVMe series with a five-year warranty that covers up to 300TB of data writes for the 500GB model and 600TB for the 1TB drive. Pricing at retail appears to be holding steady at $229.99 and $449.99, respectively.

Hardcore Warzone means Sh!t.

All you are doing is doing to be patching the game, loading the game, etc.

To the SSD, Warzone, Minecraft, OverWatch is the same damn thing.

$130 for a 1TB NVMe drive is the average / typical sale price these days.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

You don't need a top of the line Nvme SSD for gaming, it's negligible even between a sata 2.5 SSD and an Nvme. Any SSD will work about the same. What are you referring to when you say you want an SSD that's good for high end games? All an SSD will affect is load times and the difference from one SSD to another regardless of quality or speed will be negligible. If you're looking for an SSD for a game drive you could realistically get a 2TB Samsung sata drive for maybe $50 or so more than that. Or even just get a Crucial P2 Nvme 1TB SSD for $84. It will not make a difference for games.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

54 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

im not sure the sata's that ive seen would fit in my laptop

On 10/27/2021 at 6:45 PM, ZeRedPanda said:

im not sure the sata's that ive seen would fit in my laptop

If you need to have an M.2 drive then I'd really get the Crucial P2 or the Sabrent Rocket Nvme. If your laptop has a sata bay for a 2.5 SSD then that is also an option if it doesn't have the slot and it's a new laptop it should work with any m.2 sata or nvme drive that is the correct physical size for the slot.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Loading games from an SSD is almost no wear/tear.  Virtually any SSD storage device doesn't have a problem with data access.  it's the write cycles that age the device.  Actually strike that--the same holds true of HDD's too....they just have the additional achilles heel of mechanical failure.

Price is average.  The best deal I got was actually a Samsung drive.  350 for an open box (unused) 3.84TB PM983.  I've got a few of the TLC inland drives that aren't that much more per GB.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 10/27/2021 at 6:50 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

There is quite a bit of a difference between SATA and NVME even outside of bandwidth.  I wouldn't touch QLC at this point in ANY form factor.  Outside of that the prices are not that much different you can get a 3.0x4 TLC drive with ram for 100-120 per TB.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 11/2/2021 at 12:02 PM, ewitte said:

There is quite a bit of a difference between SATA and NVME even outside of bandwidth.  I wouldn't touch QLC at this point in ANY form factor.  Outside of that the prices are not that much different you can get a 3.0x4 TLC drive with ram for 100-120 per TB.

Yes, I wasn't saying there isn't, OP was asking specifically about gaming and using it as a game storage drive. In games the difference between a sata SSD and Nvme is negligible. If this were a workstation computer or file server where read and writes speeds really matter I'd say it may be more worth it. But just as a game storage drive, the load speeds between the two are negligible and an SSD won't give OP more FPS. For their use case any SSD will work and work well. They don't need to go after a top of the line Nvme SSD just to use as a game drive when they can get a standard Nvme or Sata for even cheaper and get the same results.