Win11 install upselling products

GrimOfDoom

I am just trying to reinstall Windows 11 (leaving dev channel, for stable normal win11). And I get these annoying popup screens upselling my 365 and games pass, and idiot me fell for it twice just hitting the blue continue button (goes right to a screen asking for credit card info, before even getting to desktop)

This is trash design, but too many softwares I have to use can only work on windows. (I installed windows 11 from scratch when it first dropped, and I don’t remember these screens)

A4AFA58D-F79C-4787-B924-BA1A10CB07C4.jpeg

59D62125-DB0C-4EFC-AFFB-C079F9F12ACC.jpeg

This isn't anything new. It's been here since the final release of Windows 11. Just pay attention to what button you're pressing and you can skip right past it. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

microsoft realised that people have been blindly clicking the "sell my data" buttons for years in windows 10 OOBE, so some clever hat at financials decided they needed a "give us money" button there too, because it would bring in even more cash from unexpecting customers.

and before someone comes to argue with me, we literally had a customer at the office this week who paid for their M365 license twice, because the boxed key didnt work from the first try, and they just blindly followed instructions until their credit card was attached to a recurring fee. Strong opinion: this is shameless abuse of those who havent mastered tech speak enough to realise what they are doing. it 'only' annoys the heck out of us techies, but i guarantee there'll be someone reading this thread, whose less technically inclined family member will get scammed out of $10/mo for a service they dont need, without they even realised it.

I haven't dug around Win11 yet but in Win10 there were options scattered around somewhere that reduced the suggestions and recommendations.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

23 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

obligatory Linux is better and you should just install Linux instead of Windows 11 comment

Cool, can you help me install LightRoom and PhotoShop under Ubuntu 16.04 LTE?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

This is because on the previous screen you answered what you use your PC for. You probably pick Gaming and another thing and you have these skipable service ads. They won't show again after you login for the first time.

They have been introduced under Windows 10, this is nothing new.

Just select "No thanks"? This is not new to Windows, and not new to software installers overall. For 15 years you have gotten offers of random crap with freeware software such as CCleaner.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I blame it on Google. They introduced this idea, and Chrome has exploded in popularity since they have done it. Now everyone is doing the same, and sadly, it actually works.

The good news is that you don't have, like what some programs did, and I am sure some still do, where if you pick "Express" it installs the extra software not expected to be installed, as the publisher of the app gets paid per install.

On 10/29/2021 at 6:40 AM, GoodBytes said:

I blame it on Google. They introduced this idea, and Chrome has exploded in popularity since they have done it. Now everyone is doing the same, and sadly, it actually works.

The good news is that you don't have, like what some programs did, and I am sure some still do, where if you pick "Express" it installs the extra software not expected to be installed, as the publisher of the app gets paid per install.

My drivers disc does that lol

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch