PCIe 4.0 or wait for the 5.0 that is saying "hey, I almost here too, and I come with better DDR5" ?

hello guys, I am not used to post so much so I apologize if there a mistake.

As the title says, I am wondering if I should wait for PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 ( assumption ) or just jump into PCIe 4.0 with DDR4.

I am that type of person that buys end tier tech to last 5 years and I have now wondered that if I am already going to wait until 2023 to buy a new computer, because damn scalpers and chip shortages, then it would be better to wait a little bit more to buy a second gen to be safe, right?

As I see, if PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 is already in the corner, then buying PCIe 4.0 and DDR4 would be like an "upgrade" rather than a "UPDATE++" that would satisfy my needs for more five years?

Thank you for your time and I am sorry if my English is bad.

Being an early adopter means you're gonna pay more for less polished product. Sure, it's gonna last you a while since it's newer stuff, but how much better is it gonna be than DDR4/PCIe 4.0 really?

I mean, DDR5 is gonna be expensive for a while both because early adoption, and also the fact that a design change to power delivery means that costs are gonna be offloaded to the RAM, meaning more expensive kits. I built a PC that I'm very happy with and I'm planning to have last me at least another 3-4 years before I meaningfully upgrade the GPU, for instance. No regrets on that front, despite buying into a dead end platform.

My advice? Wait for the embargo to lift on Alder Lake and Zen 3+. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision. But, if you're value-conscious, I can't really imagine PCIe 5.0/DDR5 being significantly better than what we already have. This is your regular reminder than even PCIe 4.0 GPUs barely saturate the PCIe 3.0 bus.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

1 hour ago, emosun said:

Is there some sort of task you plan on doing in the next 5 years that pcie 5 and ddr 5 are required for it?

I can do everything just fine with PCIe 4 and DDR4.

25 minutes ago, Goodevil said:

I can do everything just fine with PCIe 4 and DDR4.

Oh ok. Theres your answer then. 

1 hour ago, emosun said:

Oh ok. Theres your answer then. 

yes, i can do everything just fine with PCIe 4 and DDR4, but my whole computer is from 2017, so is understandable that some parts start to fail with time, to avoid that I sell my parts and buy a whole new computer... so if PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 are worth the wait then I would wait, so if the speeds of 5.0 are 2x faster than 4.0 then is it worth the wait ? I wouldn't mind paying 1.5x for PCIe 5.0 but do you think that it would be more than 2x the price of PCIe 4.0?

I'm getting the impression you may think bus speed somehow relates to the entire speed of the computer but may not be aware that bus speed has nothing to do with component speed. Meaning a component supporting a higher bus speed isn't automatically faster. Much in the same way how currently a pci-e 3.0 and 4.0 bus aren't actually noticeably different from each other outside of benchmarks or spec sheets.

Is that what's happening? You may be thinking a pci-e 5.0 bus represents some huge leap in technology?

38 minutes ago, emosun said:

Is that what's happening? You may be thinking a pci-e 5.0 bus represents some huge leap in technology?

I know that it isn't a HUGE leap but it is a leap and I will buy a new computer in 2022 or 2023.

5 hours ago, CT854 said:

My advice? Wait for the embargo to lift on Alder Lake and Zen 3+. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision. But, if you're value-conscious, I can't really imagine PCIe 5.0/DDR5 being significantly better than what we already have. This is your regular reminder than even PCIe 4.0 GPUs barely saturate the PCIe 3.0 bus.

Thank you for your thoughts @CT854, thanks for the advice.

Tbh no one can actually tell u, wait until we have benchmarks,  also for release of new Ryzen gen, maybe intel has another fail chip at hand (actually expecting this, but i hope I'm wrong tbh)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity