Getting avg 50 ping on fps games with a good wifi

rookie.wanna.play
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
4 minutes ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

I happen to have a hdmi to ethernet cable lying around. Is there any difference on these two in terms of latency? Sorry i just wanna get the most of it. 

I don't know if your HDMI port would be enabled to access Ethernet input, but if you already have the adapter, worth a shot.

So i’m a complete nub to this. We have a good wifi but i still experience above 50 ping on fps games ex: valorant. I have a zephyrus g14 3060 version plugged to a monitor. Any tips to improve this? Ive read something about getting a better router. But when i was acquiring for a wifi at shaw they told me i can’t buy my own router. They gave me this cylindrical like router. Any suggestions will be helpful! I also tweaked my settings like setting the game on high prio downloded TCPOptimizer and low ping thingy that i saw on youtube which didn’t help!

Your latency to game servers is dependent on their location, not your WiFi. If a server is halfway across the country, you're going to get higher pings. There's nothing you can really do about it unless there's something amiss with your ISP's routing.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

4 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Your latency to game servers is dependent on their location, not your WiFi. If a server is halfway across the country, you're going to get higher pings. There's nothing you can really do about it unless there's something amiss with your ISP's routing.

So buying a $200+ “Gaming routers” wont do little to nothing? 

How far do you sit from the router while in your room? a cheap ethernet cable would probably work better than a new router and be more cost effective as well

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

How far do you sit from the router while in your room? a cheap ethernet cable would probably work better than a new router and be more cost effective as well

My zephyrus g14 doesn’t have a ethernet port which is sad. Any alternative to that port? 

1 minute ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

My zephyrus g14 doesn’t have a ethernet port which is sad. Any alternative to that port? 

USB 3.0 to ethernet would do the trick 

Amazon.com: Cable Matters USB to Ethernet Adapter (USB 3.0 to Ethernet) Supporting 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Network in Black : Electronics

and if it doesn't help you could return it

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I happen to have a hdmi to ethernet cable lying around. Is there any difference on these two in terms of latency? Sorry i just wanna get the most of it. 

4 minutes ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

I don't know if your HDMI port would be enabled to access Ethernet input, but if you already have the adapter, worth a shot.

Primary PC:

2 hours ago, rookie.wanna.play said:

Surely that won't work. The hdmi port on the laptop is for graphics output, not networking. 

🤔 So I guess the solution that worked was to basically not use WIFI at all??? Who would have thought hey..😆....WIFI is molten ass in my experience. Never going back unless I really, REALLY have to. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10