What has changed over the past few years?

minervx

I haven't built a PC since 2017.  I know that RAM/SSD's got cheaper.  Graphics cards are double/triple the price, hence building a PC now is not efficient.  But that's all I know.

Have CPU improvements have been significant?.  I have a Ryzen 5 1600 now.  (EDIT; I took out a part because I don't want to spread misinformation)

Has anything else changed?  Have there been any significant improvements in other parts (i.e. cooling, power supplies, cases, motherboards, etc)?

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

5 minutes ago, minervx said:

I haven't built a PC since 2017.  I know that RAM/SSD's got cheaper.  Graphics cards are double/triple the price, hence building a PC now is not efficient.  But that's all I know.

It also seems like CPU improvements have been marginal.  I have a Ryzen 5 1600 now.  I checked benchmarks for the 5600x and it's only ~34% better for double the price + buying a new mobo.  Way less of an improvement than I expected.

Has anything else changed?  Have there been any significant improvements in other parts (i.e. cooling, power supplies, cases, motherboards, etc)?

I wouldnt call this 34%, if you are using userbenchmark, stop, I think in 2017 it might have been good, but recently it has been bad, it has been preferring intel over amd.

9 minutes ago, minervx said:

It also seems like CPU improvements have been marginal.  I have a Ryzen 5 1600 now.  I checked benchmarks for the 5600x and it's only ~34% better for double the price + buying a new mobo.  Way less of an improvement than I expected.

Persewntages dotn really convey diffrences well enough after you get big enough numbers.

Plus, usually its 50%.

Plus, thats way better than most of the core series. like compair 4th gen core to 11th gen core, its probably less than 80% from one comprable sku to another

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, minervx said:

Wait till intel 12th gen comes out. Performance is insane and up to 55 ish percent performance increase from last gen, and some leaked benchmarks says that the 12th gen i5 performs better than the 5800X in even multi core because of the i5's 10 cores (technically 8 hyperthreaded cores because there are 6 hyperthreaded and 4 single threaded) and the price is not that different from previous gen. Talk about performance per dollar!

1 minute ago, MechWill said:

Wait till intel 12th gen comes out. Performance is insane and up to 50 percent performance increase from last gen, and some leaked benchmarks says that the 12th gen i5 performs better than the 5800X in even multi core because of the i5's 10 cores (technically 8 hyperthreaded cores because there are 6 hyperthreaded and 4 single threaded) and the price is not that different from previous gen. Talk about performance per dollar!

inb4 it pulls like 4x its tdp like 11th gen

Spoiler

not saying it will happen, but even with massive arcetectural improvments, i doubt it can be all architecture

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

inb4 it pulls like 4x its tdp like 11th gen

True, but at least intel is moving from 14 nanometers

What is AMD making in response to next-gen intel?

Last I remember, AMD's CPU's were better value than equally priced Intels.  Has Intel caught up?

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

5 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

I wouldnt call this 34%, if you are using userbenchmark, stop, I think in 2017 it might have been good, but recently it has been bad, it has been preferring intel over amd.

Yes, never use userbenchmark for comparing nowadays, it says that ryzen 5950X performs worse than intel 10900K

Just now, minervx said:

well, a zen3 refresh early 2022 with 3d cache (cache put on top of cpu die), shoudl boost perf by about 15%, and next fall zen 4 with ddr5, pcie gen 5 and, well, next gen zen architecture

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, minervx said:

Last I remember, AMD's CPU's were better value than equally priced Intels.  Has Intel caught up?

Amd is making (unofficially called) Zen 3+ (possibly 6000 series) to combat intel's alder lake 12th gen, but even though I still believe that Amd cannot catch up with Zen 3+ unless it uses a similar architecture as Alder lake. If they still choose the traditional architecture when they release the 7000 series to combat the 13th gen rocket lake then Amd is in big trouble.

1 minute ago, MechWill said:

Amd is making Zen 3+ (possibly 6000 series) to combat intel's alder lake 12th gen, but even though I still believe that Amd cannot catch up with Zen 3+ unless it uses the same architecture as Alder lake. If they still choose the traditional architecture when they release the 7000 series to combat the 13th gen rocket lake then Amd is in big trouble.

AMD has plans for hybrid in the comming years, maybe zen 4

Also zen3+ has never been offically names, most peopel think its zen3d or just a zen 3 5000 xt refresh

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Also zen3+ has never been offically names, most peopel think its zen3d or just a zen 3 5000 xt refresh

I'll edit to prevent misinformation.

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

If AMD does manage to get hybrid architecture then Intel is in big trouble because of their primitive 7 nanometer process vs AMD 5 nm by the time zen 4 comes out. If they do make hybrid architecture then i'll go for amd.

To round it all up, biggest thing that hasn't changed much over the years is power supplies. It is one of the only components that is not constantly getting better for it's price or cheaper. 

For example: If you built a $500 PC in 2019, you could buy a 500w PSU for around $50, and 5 years before that, it costed the same price. 

On the other hand, every couple of years, there is a new one that comes out with more power than the rest.

1 hour ago, 2plash6 said:

To round it all up, biggest thing that hasn't changed much over the years is power supplies. It is one of the only components that is not constantly getting better for it's price or cheaper. 

For example: If you built a $500 PC in 2019, you could buy a 500w PSU for around $50, and 5 years before that, it costed the same price. 

On the other hand, every couple of years, there is a new one that comes out with more power than the rest.

It all depends on where you look. Admittedly, I got a great deal, but Newegg was selling EVGA 500W 80+ power supplies for $24+ a few dollars shipping, on eBay of all places, a few weeks back. I picked one up, not because I really needed it but I have several of them in service and they're great for lower-buck builds.

The computer space is much like it was back in 1998-2002 again, where there are things released all the time that are leaps and bounds over the last gen. The stark difference is, a few-generations-old hardware now is still viable. I remember having to change gear a lot, because the jump from say a GeForce 2 card to a GeForce 4 card was huge. Right now you can still game fairly competently on something like a GTX 980 or an R9 Fury X, but if you had a 2-3 generations old card 20 years ago, even a high-spec one, it was almost a paperweight.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

21 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

It all depends on where you look. Admittedly, I got a great deal, but Newegg was selling EVGA 500W 80+ power supplies for $24+ a few dollars shipping, on eBay of all places, a few weeks back. I picked one up, not because I really needed it but I have several of them in service and they're great for lower-buck builds.

The computer space is much like it was back in 1998-2002 again, where there are things released all the time that are leaps and bounds over the last gen. The stark difference is, a few-generations-old hardware now is still viable. I remember having to change gear a lot, because the jump from say a GeForce 2 card to a GeForce 4 card was huge. Right now you can still game fairly competently on something like a GTX 980 or an R9 Fury X, but if you had a 2-3 generations old card 20 years ago, even a high-spec one, it was almost a paperweight.

To sum it up, that's all true, a fully functioning power supply from years ago would most likely work perfectly fine these days, unless it uses different connectors, but it's obviously completely different by landslide when it comes to GPUs, CPUs, RAM, etc.