Corsair RM850x or ASUS Rog Strix 850g

Bobbysixjp

So I managed to get a warranty replacement for my RM850x and in the mean time replaced it with a Rog Strix 850g. It’s still within its replacement period on Amazon so I’m deciding which one to keep. Any suggestions? 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

the one you like better or paid more for or which one has a higher effeciency 

RM850x is better. ROG Strix is a rebranded Seasonic Focus Gold which is good too but if I remember it had issues with 30 series. Also I've heard too many bad stories about Asus support, never really anthing bad about Corsair.

1 hour ago, Pixelfie said:

RM650x is better. ROG Strix is a rebranded Seasonic Focus Gold which is good too but if I remember it had issues with 30 series. Also I've heard too many bad stories about Asus support, never really anthing bad about Corsair.

I can’t fault Corsair on their RMA process. It took less than two weeks from shipping it from Japan to Taiwan and them sending me a new unit. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |

RM850x is a lot better. Asus ROG Strix is a Seasonic Focus (which is far from the best but at least it's the best Seasonic) with worse fan ,worse heatsinks and ROG tax.

7 hours ago, --SID-- said:

RM850x is a lot better. Asus ROG Strix is a Seasonic Focus (which is far from the best but at least it's the best Seasonic) with worse fan ,worse heatsinks and ROG tax.

Just wondering why the hate for ROG Strix PSUs - is it a fan boy thing for Corsair products? Most of the reviews I have read for the 850g seem pretty good. 

Mhz |

43 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

Just wondering why the hate for ROG Strix PSUs - is it a fan boy thing for Corsair products? Most of the reviews I have read for the 850g seem pretty good. 

Are we talking REAL reviews or end user reviews on Amazon, etc.?

12 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Are we talking REAL reviews or end user reviews on Amazon, etc.?

Real reviews I suppose. The ASUS Rog Strix PSUs are even included in the upper tier of the list on this site so what exactly is so bad about them?

Mhz |

48 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

Real reviews I suppose. The ASUS Rog Strix PSUs are even included in the upper tier of the list on this site so what exactly is so bad about them?

I don't think anyone ever said they were "bad".  They're just not "the best".  I mean, you take a half way decent PSU, put in worse heatsinks and a worse fan and then charge MORE for it... Just seems like getting kicked in the nuts.

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I don't think anyone ever said they were "bad".  They're just not "the best".  I mean, you take a half way decent PSU, put in worse heatsinks and a worse fan and then charge MORE for it... Just seems like getting kicked in the nuts.

From this review:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-strix-750w-power-supply-review

about the fan:

Contrary to its competitors, the ROG unit uses a double ball-bearing fan. This fan produces more noise, under the same operating conditions, compared to the sleeve, riffle, and fluid dynamic bearing ones, but they can handle increased temperatures without sweating. This is not a case for FDB fans whose life significantly degrades once the operating temperatures exceed 40 degrees Celsius. 

The semi-passive operation doesn't last long, but the fan's speeds remain low in all cases, and so does the noise output.”

about the heat sinks:

The large heat sinks easily handle the thermal loads, and this is why the fan speed profile is so relaxed.”

So are you saying this review is inaccurate? 

Mhz |

34 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

From this review:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-strix-750w-power-supply-review

about the fan:

Contrary to its competitors, the ROG unit uses a double ball-bearing fan. This fan produces more noise, under the same operating conditions, compared to the sleeve, riffle, and fluid dynamic bearing ones, but they can handle increased temperatures without sweating. This is not a case for FDB fans whose life significantly degrades once the operating temperatures exceed 40 degrees Celsius. 

The semi-passive operation doesn't last long, but the fan's speeds remain low in all cases, and so does the noise output.”

about the heat sinks:

The large heat sinks easily handle the thermal loads, and this is why the fan speed profile is so relaxed.”

The fan produces more noise.  The fan blade design is not optimal.  The larger heatsinks actually block airflow to the non-sinked components on the PCB.  

The reason you don't see proper fanless or watercooled PSUs is because you have un-sinked parts that aren't actively cooled.  Having a tree canopy over those parts does not help matters.

I'm not going to comment that the review is accurate or inaccurate.

I'm just saying, the PSU is not terrible.  But even the non-Asus version of this Seasonic PSU is better than this particular PSU.

2 hours ago, Bobbysixjp said:

about the heat sinks:

2019112522424570.jpg

You can check it out in this review. The part next to the changed heatsink gets much hotter.

https://www.fcpowerup.com/asus-rog-strix-750w-gold/4/

It looks like Jonny has already tested the Rog PSU with better equipment. He actually has Thor too.

Edited by IIIIIIIIII

We use multiple thermistors as FLIR can't "see through heatsinks", but that review you linked tells about the same story.

But I didn't want to get into that as my data is not public.  But certainly the FLIR images from fcpowerup start to paint the picture.

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

We use multiple thermistors as FLIR can't "see through heatsinks", but that review you linked tells about the same story.

But I didn't want to get into that as my data is not public.  But certainly the FLIR images from fcpowerup start to paint the picture.

So you’d recommended the RM850x over the ASUS?

Mhz |